All Australian thread 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Too many gun mids I reckon. I think Tyson has impacted more games than Jones too. Up until the last 2 weeks anyway, got tagged in the 2 previous games (Tyson).
Possibly, I reckon the AA selectors might be swayed by the Demons rise and want to reward them, much as Wingard got the nod last year when it could be argued that Breust had similar (but not quite good enough) claims.

Possibly, I reckon the AA selectors might be swayed by the Demons rise and want to reward them, much as Wingard got the nod last year when it could be argued that Breust had similar (but not quite good enough) claims.
Bruest kicked 37 goals ( in the H and A season) and averaged 15 disposals compared to wingards 40 goals and 21 disposals. Breust was never close. Thomas (Nth) you could argue deserved a spot in the team though

On topic I think Jones would be in the 22 at this stage

It would be good for Jones to be rewarded. He has been great for years now, just hard to be seen amongst all the shitness.

I think like a few others in here that Dunn is probably the closest of our players. He is killing it.

Bruest kicked 37 goals ( in the H and A season) and averaged 15 disposals compared to wingards 40 goals and 21 disposals. Breust was never close. Thomas (Nth) you could argue deserved a spot in the team though
Breust also brought high levels of goal assists and tackles inside f50 to the table, but I agree with you, I did say "not quite good enough":)

I don't think anyone from Melbourne can make it. We don't win enough games.
Jonesy is a huge change, irrespective of win/loss.

Dunn is also a real chance. Has held the backline together, regularly beats opponents, and is damaging by foot.

edit: didn't see that he had already been mentioned a few times. Good to see.

Too many gun mids I reckon. I think Tyson has impacted more games than Jones too. Up until the last 2 weeks anyway, got tagged in the 2 previous games (Tyson).
Tyson has been excellent all things considered, but there's no way he has had more impact than Jones. Clearly been the best and most impactful player this year. Again.

Last edited:
Johnson Hooker N.Smith
Birchall Mackenzie Malceski
Pendlebury Kennedy Beams
Harvey Franklin Gray
Gunston Hawkins Breust

Sandilands Ablett Fyfe

Jones Selwood Ward Lobbe

Johnson - Sweeper (out for 3 more weeks but will still make it if slots back in as before)
Hooker & Mackenzie - Key Backs
Smith - Small lockdown
Malceski - Running back
Birchall - 193cm all-rounder

Pendlebury - The Glider
Kennedy - The Grinder
Beams - The Pep

Harvey - Quintessential goal-kicking midfielder
Franklin - The cream has risen to the top for mine, big, powerful, agile
Gray - New running star
Hawkins - Leading the coleman, man mountain
Gunston - Reliable
Breust - Deadly, strong, pesky

Sandilands - Just too big for anyone, taking marks lately
Ablett - Son of God
Fyfe - Looks even more evasive this year on the deck to go with the aerial wizardry

Jones - Consistent captain
Selwood - Still the hardest
Ward - Dynamic
Lobbe - Either The Chad or Lobbe from PAFC, but Sandilands needs a chop out

Johnson Hooker N.Smith
Birchall Mackenzie Malceski
Pendlebury Kennedy Beams
Harvey Franklin Gray
Gunston Hawkins Breust

Sandilands Ablett Fyfe

Jones Selwood Ward Lobbe

Johnson - Sweeper (out for 3 more weeks but will still make it if slots back in as before)
Hooker & Mackenzie - Key Backs
Smith - Small lockdown
Malceski - Running back
Birchall - 193cm all-rounder

Pendlebury - The Glider
Kennedy - The Grinder
Beams - The Pep

Harvey - Quintessential goal-kicking midfielder
Franklin - The cream has risen to the top for mine, big, powerful, agile
Gray - New running star
Hawkins - Leading the coleman, man mountain
Gunston - Reliable
Breust - Deadly, strong, pesky

Sandilands - Just too big for anyone, taking marks lately
Ablett - Son of God
Fyfe - Looks even more evasive this year on the deck to go with the aerial wizardry

Jones - Consistent captain
Selwood - Still the hardest
Ward - Dynamic
Lobbe - Either The Chad or Lobbe from PAFC, but Sandilands needs a chop out
I will bet my left nut that ward will not be in the team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about Boak vs Jones?
Just had a look at the stats, Jones wins all the key ones (contested possessions, uncontested possessions, clearances, tackles, effective disposals,) albeit not by much, and we do know stats don't tell everything.

Be interesting if one of the last midfield positions came down to one of these two.

elliot would have to be a big chance to b ein the fwd pocket. He is the next best after breust. Like breust his accuracy has been immense, and he is up there interms of goals kicked.

How about Boak vs Jones?
Just had a look at the stats, Jones wins all the key ones (contested possessions, uncontested possessions, clearances, tackles, effective disposals,) albeit not by much, and we do know stats don't tell everything.

Be interesting if one of the last midfield positions came down to one of these two.
Liked your post because its a good comparison that doesnt include Breust, Selwood or Rioli!
As ive posted before, AA selectors often reward players that standout rather than consistent. Jones stands out far more than Boak in games this year. However coaches have rated Boak a clear BOG in 4 of 11 games this year. Lineball so far.

elliot would have to be a big chance to b ein the fwd pocket. He is the next best after breust. Like breust his accuracy has been immense, and he is up there interms of goals kicked.
Certainly in the mix, from what ive seen of the Pies Elliot is more of a finisher than an assist player (Wingard) or a pressure player (Breust) so would need to bring more goals to the table than the other two I reckon. Definitely in with a shot for sure.

B: Johnson Hooker Hibberd
HB: B. Smith Taylor Malceski
C: Beams Kennedy Pendlebury
HF: Gray Franklin Breust
F: Harvey Hawkins Elliot
R: Sandilands Ablett S.Johnson

Int:
Fyfe, Jones, Rockliff, Mumford

B: Johnson Hooker Hibberd
HB: B. Smith Taylor Malceski
C: Beams Kennedy Pendlebury
HF: Gray Franklin Breust
F: Harvey Hawkins Elliot
R: Sandilands Ablett S.Johnson

Int:
Fyfe, Jones, Rockliff, Mumford

The teams that are sitting 1st and 2nd on the ladder only have 2 players in that team between them.

The teams that are sitting 1st and 2nd on the ladder only have 2 players in that team between them.

Not to menntion Mumford who has played 3 good games all season. Surely if you are picking a 2nd ruck Lobbe is the one

Boak should probably be in there as well as Lobbe instead of Mumford.
It's pretty hard to put Hawks on the field when so many of their best have missed chunks of football.

It's pretty hard to put Hawks on the field when so many of their best have missed chunks of football.

Anyone instead of Mumford that is a howler of a choice, probably 5-6 rucks ahead. Boak will be on the bench if he is picked.

Yeah would agree. I think Lobbe should be in there, and probably Boak as well.

Gunston and Burgoyen are both deserving from the Hawks. Or will at least consider themselves unlucky to miss.

Remove this Banner Ad

All Australian thread 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back