Autopsy After a tight😶 half of football we steamroll Essendon by 39

Remove this Banner Ad

Resting players is an interesting one. Remember the bye before the finals, so it's two weeks off. Is that enough to lose touch?
Feels like less of a risk when we take the first quarter off every week anyway :p

I'd be giving Grundy at very least next week off, potentially Heeney too. Of course there is the risk they'll lose touch, but equally you take the punt you get a big jump in performance given they will get a proper rest. Grundy in particular looks about half speed compared to earlier in the season. Hayward another that surely would benefit from a game off (gee he has become a warrior the way he plays through injury).

Seriously though - f*** the pre-finals bye (even if it suits us with Justin and Paps) - I still hate it so much. We should get the advantage of having toiled all season to finish first to take advantage of resting players in the last round without having to worry about 3 weeks between games.

Clearys attack on the ball and tackling pressure was good, some of his disposal was poor and he dropped an uncontested chest mark to allow an Essendon shot on goal early.

Campbell remembered how good his left boot is today, after slotting that goal on the run he nailed three more flat passes in about 90 seconds of play.

Heeney Gulden and Rowwy did the bulk of the hard yards again, and Parker looked exquisite when required as well.

Oh yeah

🦢🦢🦢no luck catching them swans then?🦢🦢🦢

Simon Pegg Swan GIF by Working Title

Longmire just praised Cleary's tank and endurance. Perfect for that forward role tonight.
Can see why he was chosen over Sheldrick for this match.
Get Paps back in there, and I think our forward line will operate a lot better. 2 small forwards to provide pressure (Cleary and Papley), 2 mediums (Parker and Hayward) and whichever big boppers are up there. Cleary already offers more around the ground than Wicks, plus can apply decent pressure - think he can play an important role for us come finals.

Get Paps back in there, and I think our forward line will operate a lot better. 2 small forwards to provide pressure (Cleary and Papley), 2 mediums (Parker and Hayward) and whichever big boppers are up there. Cleary already offers more around the ground than Wicks, plus can apply decent pressure - think he can play an important role for us come finals.
Cleary and Parker are just well clear of Wicks because they do what forwards are suppose to do and kick goals. Could be that Parker clears Wicks in goals for the year next week in only his 7th match whereas Wicks had 16 games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I more meant Lewis Melican - the guy who was forgotten about two years ago and could have been delisted or on traded multiple times over the last 5 years. Who would have thought he would be the man that would be so pivotal.
Has always had the ability - just had a wretched run with injury. He was good tonight, made us look a lot more stable down back. It is Tommy Mac that worries me at the moment down back - he just seems in a bit of a funk, but improved as the game went on.

If the Swans ever need some fire in the belly, they should watch Adam Cooney talk about them on loop for half hour or so.

Night's highlight from the Don Dome.

Old mouthy mate behind me on Level 3 packing on about how bad of a player Heeney is :think:and 'We have snipers referring to Logan McDonald *another odd one :rolleyes: yet frothing over 'The Package' talking about how great he is and is one of the best players... just went on talking utter trash.

However, couldn't believe my luck when 'The Package' had the ball on 3qtr time to steer it through for a behind. I just turned around and gave him a subtle grin. Best moment was seeing him take the walk of shame when Will drilled out the game in the last with an excellent goal. Some of their supporters are something else...

Tale of two halves (story of our year ) Cream rises to the top, and the second half demonstrated that. That half performance is hopefully a catalyst going into September, no need to flirt with it next week, foot on the pedal.

Credit tonight to Matty Roberts, confidence on the lad is awesome to see!

Last edited:
What's he got to say
Same old negative sh** every week. Not a threat, much prefer to play them than almost anyone else in the 8 come finals time. Kate McCarthy just as bad. Even when we were 4 games clear at the start of the year it was always something negative. Has been the same the last couple of years, never a positive thing to say about the swans.

Has always had the ability - just had a wretched run with injury. He was good tonight, made us look a lot more stable down back. It is Tommy Mac that worries me at the moment down back - he just seems in a bit of a funk, but improved as the game went on.

His hammies must give our recovery team nightmares

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy After a tight😶 half of football we steamroll Essendon by 39

Remove this Banner Ad

Back