AFLW AFLW 2022 - R1 Saturday - NM/GC 1.10, WCE/PA 1.10, SYD/STK 5.10, ESS/Haw 19.10 (AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Saturday, August 27
North Melbourne v Gold Coast, Blundstone Arena, 1.10pm AEST
West Coast v Port Adelaide, Mineral Resources Park, 1.10pm AWST
Sydney v St Kilda, North Sydney Oval, 5.10pm AEST
Essendon v Hawthorn, Marvel Stadium, 7.10pm AEST

Broadcast

FTA Broadcast
CodeRoundHomeAwayVenueDayAESTSydMelbBrisAdlPerFTA StreamStreamPay TVPayStream
AFLW1Nth MelbourneGold CoastBlundstone ArenaSat13107mate7plus (local)womens.aflFoxfootyKayo
AFLW1West CoastPort AdelaideMineral Resources PkSat13107mate7mate7plus (local)womens.aflFoxfootyKayo
AFLW1SydneySt KildaNorth Sydney OvalSat17107mate7plus (local)womens.aflFoxfootyKayo
AFLW1EssendonHawthornMarvel StadiumSat19107mate7mate7plus (local)womens.aflFoxfootyKayo

Teams

Gonna be important for Bohanna, especially now as captain, to stay busy even when supply dries up against top teams. She'd make a good CHB and I'd much rather Howarth be used as the deep forward option anyway. Plus that Suns backline is pretty weak to start with (Saad typically gives away a few gifts each week).

Geez that rule interpretation sh*ts me off. If you deliberately go to ground and hold the ball around your head, of course you're going to be tacked high. That should be holding the ball everyday, just like diving on it.

Extremely pedantic nitpick in the context of all the things Kelli Underwood gets wrong: she said earlier Melbourne are "definitely the premiership favourites". The odds I've seen have Brisbane as the favourites. Don't know why it bothers me, but rogue favouritism declarations does seem to be a thing in AFLW.

And there's another one, free kick to Kangas, no Sun near them.

This might be the most amatuer umpiring I've seen for many years.

The best umpiring I've seen in recent years has been in the VFLW, not sure why they don't get called up.

Well I had Tahlia Randall's kicking for goal as one of the key (unlikely) areas of focus/improvement in order for North to properly contend. Doesn't seem so unlikely atm, early days though.

Me and Ellie on the same (rather obvious) page about Bohanna getting up the ground, though I suppose it shouldn't matter next week against West Coast, against whom she announced herself last season.

"They don't wanna have the lowest score ever" says Joey... Bit awkward when they already have it (which was 2 behinds vs Brisbane, not 5 behinds despite Kelli's call--nor is it 1.3.9 per Montagna).

"They don't wanna have the lowest score ever" says Joey... Bit awkward when they already have it (which was 2 behinds vs Brisbane, not 5 behinds despite Kelli's call--nor is it 1.3.9 per Montagna).
Baffles me that they keep getting this one wrong - was definitely a game last season where the commentary similarly talked about risking the "lowest score ever" and completely overlooked the Suns' game against Brisbane in 2021. Really amateurish for the broadcast to go on about a stat and not have the correct information.

The tipsters on womens.afl have WC v PA at 2-8. One of those tips for the Eagles coming from their captain. The other from Riley Beveridge, who also tipped Carlton to beat Collingwood, yikes.

But idk where the near-unanimous confidence in Port is coming from. The most you can say with certainty is they have a few good players, which is no different to West Coast (who I'm backing by 9 points on their home turf).

Good stuff in Perth so far. Will the conditions be the deciding factor. Maybe.

Houghton in a bit better nick than last season, far as I can tell. And Phillips does look better in black, even though she hasn't done anything yet (but it feels like it's gonna be perfectly set up for her to win it late).

That game reminded me of the time Federer and Nadal played each other on a half-grass/half-clay court. No surprise that Port's midfield were loving the wet weather, might've been a different result if it rained all the way through.

Probably not a surprise that Prior took so long to react and get the right mix onball too... he has quite the knack for making things harder on his team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably not a surprise that Prior took so long to react and get the right mix onball too... he has quite the knack for making things harder on his team.
Yes he does

Teen Wolf what’s the go with this oval, Sts v Swans?

We’re on an Auskick oval almost
Here's a post on the subject that I prepared earlier:
Who can guess what we're looking at here:

View attachment 1443367

It's the 135m x 155m SCG (in red) engulfing the approximate 105m x 130m North Sydney Oval (with true 50m arcs). And yes I've drawn a slightly stylised version of NSO's boundary line. In reality a couple of the pockets will be a little deeper:

View attachment 1443411

...so some sections of the boundary run a bit closer to the fence than depicted, but 105m x 130m is still accurate because of space needed for the benches and interchange gates etc on the north-west side of the ground.

Tiny ground, to cut to the chase without any huge newsflash. Screams either shootout or flood tactics, keeping in mind it still looked too big for Sydney in the academy game v GWS a few months ago. Also consider Henson Park is 115m x 150m (with deep pockets & straight wings), while Punt Road is 125m x 160m (standard oval shape). A real mixed bag of "home" grounds, especially for a new team trying to develop a game plan.

A similar dichotomy is posed for Hawthorn too, playing 2 home games at the familiar Box Hill City Oval (135m x 155m, same as the SCG) and 3 at the landing strip that is Frankston Park's 102m x 170m surface. And given the R2 Friday night fixture, I was sure to check the dimensions of North Port Oval (120m x 150m), which is closer in size to North Hobart Oval's 105m x 150m (where NM are 5-0) than Casey Fields' 135m x 160m (where Melbourne have won their last 13).
And it sounds like I've been a bit generous in my boundary markings (definitely more space between fence and white line), given Peta Searle [EDIT: Chyloe Kurdas, that is] just said they've gone with 90m x 120m.

Last edited:
Montana Ham is going to be Patrick Cripps circa 2015 with the lack of support

Extremely pedantic nitpick in the context of all the things Kelli Underwood gets wrong: she said earlier Melbourne are "definitely the premiership favourites". The odds I've seen have Brisbane as the favourites. Don't know why it bothers me, but rogue favouritism declarations does seem to be a thing in AFLW.
Typical VFL media.

Every non Victorian fan is used to it. Most Vics don’t even pick up on it, or notice it.

One of my predictions for the season was that a player like Molloy or Staunton would kick ten(!) against the Swans, which could be conservative when you've got Shierlaw kicking 4 on ya. Realistically though, up until about 2.30 left in the match, you couldn't have hoped for much more from Sydney's first match.

Erin McKinnon with a career-high nine disposals btw. Saints now looking terrifically well position to start 2-0, coming up against the Hawks next week.

Like seemingly everybody else, gotta go with Essendon tonight but that widespread sentiment doesn't reflect how close I'm expecting it to be.

Haven't been too impressed with the ex-North players in the Hawks line up tonight, I think they were expecting more from Ashmore, Duffin and Gilroy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back