Coach AFLCA Coach of the Year

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
Congratulations to Fly McRae on winning the 2022 AFLCA COTY award.

What are people’s thoughts on this? Is he a deserving winner? Was there someone else more deserving?

Taking a look at all the previous winners, are there any that retrospectively should’ve gone to another coach in hindsight?

AFLCA Coach of the Year winners

2003: Paul Roos (Sydney)
2004: Mark Williams (Port Adelaide)
2005: Neil Craig (Adelaide)
2006: John Worsfold (West Coast)
2007: Mark Thompson (Geelong)
2008: Mark Thompson (Geelong)
2009: Ross Lyon (St Kilda)
2010: Mick Malthouse (Collingwood)
2011: John Worsfold (West Coast)
2012: John Longmire (Sydney)
2013: Ken Hinkley (Port Adelaide)
2014: John Longmire (Sydney)
2015: Luke Beveridge (Western Bulldogs)
2016: Luke Beveridge (Western Bulldogs)
2017: Damien Hardwick (Richmond)
2018: Nathan Buckley (Collingwood)
2019: Chris Fagan (Brisbane Lions)
2020: Ken Hinkley (Port Adelaide)
2021: Simon Goodwin (Melbourne)

Just to point out, I don’t believe it should automatically go to the Premiership coach, the Jock McHale medal is there for that. I believe I’ve read this is voted on by their peers and factors in their ability to bring success on the back of the club’s position/list/footy department constraints/improvement etc.

Is there something else that should be factored into the decision making?

Curious to know if hindsight changes who should be the winners of previous seasons, or this season’s one.

A follow up question to Hawks fans (or ones that have watched the Hawks closely) - if you had to award Clarko ONE season’s COTY - which one would it be and why?

I know it shouldnt always go to the coach of the strongest team or premiership team. But Chris Scott has kept his team in the hunt for 10 years and hasnt won it which is a bit odd. Fair play to Mcrae he is a deserving winner, but hypothetically speaking if this year was a dead cat bounce and Collingwood go to s**t next year, would that make Mcrae an undeserving winner?

It’s a stupid award, it doesn’t have to go to a premiership coach but McRae already has more than Clarkson.

It has to be a popularity contest. I have no idea whatsoever what more Scott had to do to this point of the year. No one expected us to get anywhere near it either.

We didn’t just beat sides due to the likes of Essendon, North and Carlton completely choking, we smashed them.

What baffles me more is how Longmire beats Scott to this point of the year. I have no doubt Longmire is a damn good coach and the swans are every chance for a flag but honestly how did he finish above Scott?

Coach who wins the coach of the year doesn't coach the premiership winning side? Such a stupid award. The coach of the year should be the coach who achieves the ultimate success.

It’s a stupid award, it doesn’t have to go to a premiership coach but McRae already has more than Clarkson.

It has to be a popularity contest. I have no idea whatsoever what more Scott had to do to this point of the year. No one expected us to get anywhere near it either.

We didn’t just beat sides due to the likes of Essendon, North and Carlton completely choking, we smashed them.

What baffles me more is how Longmire beats Scott to this point of the year. I have no doubt Longmire is a damn good coach and the swans are every chance for a flag but honestly how did he finish above Scott?

Younger players more difficult to coach. Coaches all know this. You have to be 10 years in the system to get in Chris Scott’s team with a couple of token youngsters thrown in to make it look good. Horsemire has done a much better job.

A follow up question to Hawks fans (or ones that have watched the Hawks closely) - if you had to award Clarko ONE season’s COTY - which one would it be and why?

Younger players more difficult to coach. Coaches all know this. You have to be 10 years in the system to get in Chris Scott’s team with a couple of token youngsters thrown in to make it look good. Horsemire has done a much better job.

What part of coaching could Scott be better at for Longmire not to be considered ‘much better’ this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done to Mcrae listening to Buckley on media platforms having to talk about this is hard to hear, he takes your job wins coach of the year only after he beat you in 2 grand finals as a player?
He must be front and centre on the dart board.

What part of coaching could Scott be better at for Longmire not to be considered ‘much better’ this year?

Not have about 8 years of diabolical game plan on his CV to make up for would be a good start.

Not have press conferences that are about his press conferences would be another positive move. Though I did notice he seemed to drop the “if I reveal anything we know that you don’t know to you I would have to kill you” line of answering this year.

Not lied and said Stewart said “I ran past the ball and I chose to bump,” after he had near decapitated Prestia. Players don’t talk like that, only Chris Scott does.

He could have put more than about 50 games into players 22 or under. By selecting the teams he did he reduced his degree of coaching difficulty, which just like in Olympic diving(funny that, seeing as how he is Geelong coach) limits the amount points the judges will give you, even for a perfect execution.

So many other improvements he could make, so little time to address the question. 😁

Not have about 8 years of diabolical game plan on his CV to make up for would be a good start.

Not have press conferences that are about his press conferences would be another positive move. Though I did notice he seemed to drop the “if I reveal anything we know that you don’t know to you I would have to kill you” line of answering this year.

Not lied and said Stewart said “I ran past the ball and I chose to bump,” after he had near decapitated Prestia. Players don’t talk like that, only Chris Scott does.

He could have put more than about 50 games into players 22 or under. By selecting the teams he did he reduced his degree of coaching difficulty, which just like in Olympic diving(funny that, seeing as how he is Geelong coach) limits the amount points the judges will give you, even for a perfect execution.

So many other improvements he could make, so little time to address the question. 😁

Ok I asked about coaching this year.
Are you allowed to troll on the main board?

Ok I asked about coaching this year.
Are you allowed to troll on the main board?

Jeez, tense leading into the Grand Final or what. 🤣

The answer is contained in my post, he could have coached a more difficult team with less reliance on long experienced players.

F*ck. I just realised there is a soft cap too. We want Scott winning as many awards as humanly, so that he gets bonuses to squeeze that seemingly bottomless Cats soft cap.

I know this is tongue in cheek but I felt like playing along anyway.

He took a discarded lost cause in Stengle and now he's AA with 50 odd goals in his first season.

Baby Holmes the best performed wingman in the league the past two months.

Young De Koning broken out into one of the best key backs in the comp (has to be up there in the reverse Coleman).

Miers and Close both drafted around 2017/2018 have developed nicely. Henry and Z.Guthrie similar. Players nobody rated before this season, maybe with the exception of Henry.

Continued high level of output from limited journeymen no other club wanted (e.g Stewart, Atkins) while converting a steeple chaser into an AA utility.

It’s the Unexpected Improvement Award, and if there’s isn’t one of those, give it to coach of the team that finishes on top.

Funnily enough, Clarkson will probably win it now at North.

YES SUCK ON THAT campaigner’S, WE WON THE BIG ONE!!!!

Hollow premiership for who ever wins the flag now, winning coach will say winning the premiership is a great honour, but would much rather be the coach of the year.
If we were Carlton, we would be celebrating this for the next 12 days. Have fans waiting for 24 hours just for the opportunity to meet the club's award winner.

McCrae fully deserved it, he's taken two separate groups (2018 team & younger gen) and welded them together.

they've done some incredible work with mindset and strategy - as a group they're good rather than great but they are an excellent team and back themselves to win in any circumstance.

Shows that most professional sport is about mental strength as much as ability.

Shouldn't it be decided after the GF?

If Scott gets the Cats across the line then he was coach of the year, many had Geelong outside the 8, he has the oldest team on the track and had to change a game plan that was good in H&A but not on the big stage, a flag win 11 years after his last and only should win it IMO.

Commentators and media cream themselves over statistics - which even the players say is over rated and not spoken of - if you are too dumb to know who played well or not by watching, you are a loser. So they will end up giving this award to the coach with highest number of minutes speaking at break time, most repetition of the same old same oldafter match comments balh blah blah no wonder watching the game at the ground is best no having to listen to the awful media screetching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back