Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Good teams don't chase players like Rotham.

I think we can all gree on that.
Is he worse than Tomlinson or Rataguolea or Frampton or Francis ? who all went top top 4 sides.

I am not saying lets just get him but in a situation where Laverde goes and we can get him and move on Weideman I have no issues. Lets face it we have a real issue with the KP backs. Reid and Ridley are injury prone. Cox is not physical enough. Laverde is a battler.

Brisbane is a unique case as the academy landed them free hits in Eric Hipwood, Harris Andrews Jack Payne.

Kiddi Coleman would be there too. Throw in developing father/sons right in Fletcher and Ashcroft and its easy to see why they are ahead of the pack
No doubt. I'm just saying they picked well after bottoming out.

Last edited:
No doubt. I'm just saying they picked well after bottoming well.
Not sure they really bottomed well and on top of that for a while they had an issue with having very ordinary drafts where only the Academy picks saved them. In recent years they have got it right but there are some absolute wipe outs as well.

Is he worse than Tomlinson or Rataguolea or Frampton or Francis ? who all went top top 4 sides.

I am not saying lets just get him but in a situation where Laverde goes and we can get him and move on Weideman I have no issues. Lets face it we have a real issue with the KP backs. Reid and Ridley are injury prone. Cox is not physical enough. Laverde is a battler.
Sydney picked up Aaron Francis and they're playing today.

I think Francis is better than Rotham.

Tomlinson and Frampton much better.

Ratuguolea I will pay.

So you’re saying we should use the third/fourth rounders we get for leverde and stringer in the draft.

I’d a perfect world id love to get another pick inside 20 or an elite top 3.

Not sure how the new points work but leverde + stringer comp = kako and 2 picks before it would be great.
No, I didn't say anything at all about something we actually don't have.

I was considering 8 and 28 (which in retrospect isn't getting near 2 at all anyway), and that it's a deep draft. With Pick 28 we should still end up with a good quality player.

Not sure they really bottomed well and on top of that for a while they had an issue with having very ordinary drafts where only the Academy picks saved them. In recent years they have got it right but there are some absolute wipe outs as well.
Soz. I've just woken up. I meant "bottomed out". I don't even know what 'bottoming well' is. I'll edit.

He is not really a blocker though. He is a run with guy who strangles an opposition player out of the game. He has not actually done a lot of blocking for his team mates in the games I have seen him play. You could send Hobbs in to block if you wanted to. You do not need to be a big brute to do that. You could even make it Perkins if need be. The real advantage FM has is his endurance running which we need but more in an outside role.
I'd take him for his endurance, size and tagging ability too though. If Laverde or Stringer goes and something can be arranged, I wouldn't be unhappy.

At worst we'd have depth, and as I said, he's young. Coach some blocking nous into him. After seeing Duz and Caldwell flourish this year, I think it's doable.

Some did for sure but there is no actual bottom out properly. There is no set way and there is a world of pain for a lot of years for those clubs who do. Also the clubs that have won flags that had 2 or 3 top 5 picks did son with some decent FA gets as well along with some really good finds outside the top 20 and some good trades.
My point to those who want us to bottom out is be careful what you wish for. You will be in for 10 years of pain and in that pain there will be Tasmania.
The bottoming out part is probably a bit melodramatic, the good parts of our best 22 are already much better than some of those shit teams we've seen over the past 20 years (recent injury hit West Coast, Melbourne, North).

Im sick of putting in a guy like Weidemann in later in the year when we had the opportunity to bloody young Hayes. We do this same dumb shit over and over again.

Part of our forward issue is having no one to take a mark. Swapping out Stringer for Membrey does fix an issue. The speed issue , well that is a small forward issue. Membrey has rated above average to elite for marks for the last 7 seasons. Kicking efficiency is generally around 70%. He kicks his 30 to 35 goals nearly every year and I would sooner have him for 2 years as a stop gap than keeping Wiedman.
I'm convinced. At least Membrey marks the ball and is a bigger body. Plonk him at FF for a year and see how we go. If I recall he was also able to help Sts steady a bit when he was played back taking intercepts. Wouldn't be unhappy if that eventuated.

If we go for Membrey, I wonder if that might signal intention to also go for Armstrong/Shanahan and use Membrey for two years while that player develops...

No issues with Finn or Membrey.

Finn is an elite runner and we have only Duursma and Martin for that. Finn would likely play on the wing for us.

Membrey would be able to teach Caddy very well and contribute for a few years.

Rotham I can't say I'm that excited about but we do have a gap of defensive depth
Yep. Pass on Rotham.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back