Kelly
Tex Wanganeen
D.Shiel
Menzie
Baldwin
El Hawli
Hind
Weideman

Don’t underestimate the stratergy of trading a good player for a good pick.

If you think any players on this list are solid depth/okay you can find other ways to open list spots and bring in players that are likely to be better.

Edit: of that list

Keep: Weid, Kelly
Out: Sheil, Hunter

Out: one of Baldwin/Hayes.

Menzie, Hind, El Hawli and Tex: Keep 2

That’s 5. If Heppell goes then keep an extra member of that group.

Last edited:

I think there would have to be some chance we trade our F1 into this year if a small forward (Kako or Berry) warrants the selection and we have enough list spots

It may be too tight as it is

El Hawli or Hind might be a player we need to move on to do something like this pending list spots
the silver lining is the 50:50 guys are bottom 6 best 22 guys at best out of contract.

Hind, Kelly, Weidemann, Setterfield are all guys who won't see a premiership but may forge another 3 years in the AFL system. Furthermore, Tex, Jayden, Menzie are all about at a similarity level so again, won't be surprised if we moved on 2.

I doubt we cut deep into the list but would like to see some new faces, especially on the rookie list.

Id rather keep Shiel instead of getting a 4th, obviously if he wants to leave, he wants to leave, thats fine

But im not going yeh ill take your 4th rounder
the list spot is more beneficial than the 3 AFL games a year he plays would be the thinking of the masses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Setterfield is a lock to be on the list next season
This is a guy who is injured half the season every season. If he plays the year out, he's on the list. If he gets another injury, well...

I wouldn't just be going off that list from the last page.
Setterfield, Goldy and Heppell are also no certainties to be continuing next year.

Thing is with Goldy teams need a 3rd veteran ruck so even if he’s gone I can’t imagine the team not finding a like for like replacement for that spot

Two certainties imho; Kaine Baldwin and Sam Weidemann are close to certainties imho. Throw a dart at the board for Kelly, Hind, Goldstein (retire) &/or Heppell (retire)
If Hind holds form I suspect he gets one year .
Kelly is probably done.
They may talk Heppell into another year if his form holds but I would rather see him retire and maybe take a leadership / coaching role as VFL captain.

This is a guy who is injured half the season every season. If he plays the year out, he's on the list. If he gets another injury, well...
an unfortunate knee knock against port isn’t going to decide his career this season. He’s best 22 when fit and I doubt he’s in the top end of contracts. He will be there next season

an unfortunate knee knock against port isn’t going to decide his career this season. He’s best 22 when fit and I doubt he’s in the top end of contracts. He will be there next season
"An unfortunate knee knock". Mate,mall injuries are unfortunate. However he consistently breaks down. Nobody doubts what he brings when he's on the park. But with list spots at a premium can we really afford someone hasn't played a full season without injury, and only played 3/4 of the season twice in 8 years?

"An unfortunate knee knock". Mate,mall injuries are unfortunate. However he consistently breaks down. Nobody doubts what he brings when he's on the park. But with list spots at a premium can we really afford someone hasn't played a full season without injury, and only played 3/4 of the season twice in 8 years?
Yes. Unless you’re replacing him with someone like Berry, I’d also guess he’s a chance to go back to the rookie list if he did get injured that wasn’t something serious like an ACL. I count at least 5 off the list before I’d even consider him. Hunter, Wanganeen, Weid, Shiel (which makes Setters spot even more important) and Baldwin. I don’t count Goldy as that nearly have to be a like for like swap on the list with another ready to go ruck. Menzie is a chance and he’d go before Setters imo. So would Kelly. Hind also but he’s probably earned a year at this stage.

Yes. Unless you’re replacing him with someone like Berry, I’d also guess he’s a chance to go back to the rookie list if he did get injured that wasn’t something serious like an ACL. I count at least 5 off the list before I’d even consider him. Hunter, Wanganeen, Weid, Shiel (which makes Setters spot even more important) and Baldwin. I don’t count Goldy as that nearly have to be a like for like swap on the list with another ready to go ruck. Menzie is a chance and he’d go before Setters imo. So would Kelly. Hind also but he’s probably earned a year at this stage.
I don't disagree with the first list.

Goldy is 50/50 either way. Menzie wouldn't go before him simply through the fact he's shown to be AFL capable at 21 and isn't made of tissue paper. Kelly and Setterfield are similar in ability but Kelly stays on the park and in a different position. Hind too.

If he plays the year out he gets a one year extension. If there's another 6+ week injury we have to consider other alternatives.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back