Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

In the past 10 years the bulldogs have consistently picked guys who have at one point been considered top10 in the AFL such as Bont, Naughton, Smith, Darcy, JUH,
Bont is the only one there that is/going to be top 10 that was actually drafted normally.

Darcy & JUH have the potential, but neither of them were legitamately drafted.

Naughton and Smith will never be and have never been top 10 players.

we've butted heads over this in the past.. I know you're going to come back with the same retort of Scott has needed time to review the list. Its been two years. If he cant ascertain that Reid cant get on the park something is wrong. IF he cant completely rule out moving on a Hobbs if he cant ascertain that Parish is able to buy in and not be a kick chasing stat paddler then we really do have a problem.

I couldn't give a shit about trying o bring in Houston let alone Bailey Smith. Nice sugar hit. I want movement of our b and c grade players that may net us something. I am not suggesting o blow the joint up but move one on to get pick(s) in the door.

Would be hopeful that something happens because at the moment we're likely to do something silly and desperate like Stringer for pick 53 (meaningful picks aside)
I added some to my reply but anyway.
Some of this is not practical. You saying we have to move Hobbs in after year 3 ? seriously ? just for picks.
That is a blow up the list move.
Every club in the comp would persevere with Reid for 4 years before making a call. No one is giving up a decent pick to get him anyway.
If the list is average how are our B and C grade players going to net us something ?
Moving Stringer out is not desperate or silly. He is not the future.

the most ou of line selection was the Weidemann one late in the season. I get that we were still hopeful of finals but Hayes had better runs on the board and for the long term benefits of the club (imho) should have been selected

completely agree with what your saying :thumbsu:
When Weideman played the finals where pretty much gone and seriously if you think that it has hurt Hayes by not getting 2 games then you really are struggling.

we've butted heads over this in the past.. I know you're going to come back with the same retort of Scott has needed time to review the list. Its been two years. If he cant ascertain that Reid cant get on the park something is wrong. IF he cant completely rule out moving on a Hobbs if he cant ascertain that Parish is able to buy in and not be a kick chasing stat paddler then we really do have a problem.

I couldn't give a shit about trying o bring in Houston let alone Bailey Smith. Nice sugar hit. I want movement of our b and c grade players that may net us something. I am not suggesting o blow the joint up but move one on to get pick(s) in the door.

Would be hopeful that something happens because at the moment we're likely to do something silly and desperate like Stringer for pick 53 (meaningful picks aside)
Do you stop and think about this before you post?

Reid was getting fit and on the park before he suffered an injury completely unrelated to his previous issues. Trading out Hobbs as he’s starting to hit his straps is dumb.

You get very little for b and c grade players, so much so it’s fairly pointless trying to shop them around. We’re every chance of getting a late third round pick for Stringer, we’ll get nothing for the likes of Setterfield.

At the end of the day we have had to relearn how to be a professional organisation at almost every level, that takes time to do and it takes time to implement the improvements. Because of the nature of the draft, salary caps, equalisation, contract durations etc it’s going to take many years to turn the ship around and the unavoidable fact is we probably won’t know if Scott is the right guy until he’s into his 5th year.

No Parish = No McKay = huge cap hole with no talent to spend it on.

Possibly BZT still at FB and no dursma.

I’d take this present outcome over that 100/100 times especially with this org’s draft record.

sometimes people get too caught up with the what and ignore the why.

It’s pretty reasonable to expect a significantly better season next year from this team.

How it compares to others improvements is questionable but a better team due to better depth and balance and 1-2 high end rookies

On what basis are we having a significantly better season?

“Better depth and balance” and a first year player is going to bring us a significantly better year?

I don’t see it at all

with the list as is there aren’t any exciting moves that a competent list management team can make.

I also think people are sleeping on how good Kako is. That we get him basically free is very exciting.

Plus Tsatas will finally have an afl body next season so we are adding 2x top 10 level picks to the best 22 next season even without doing anything.

On top of that the reputation of this draft being so high is going to hugely inflate the value of our pick if we trade out.

To the point we’re we could be adding 3FRP next season.

Haven’t you heard that Essendon is trading pick 9

And leverde for pick 7.

Win win and only logical thing to do.

St kilda would be foolish to rule out trading with Essendon on principal.
Hello Bombers, you will be thanking me.
There is an easy way to solve this problem.
Trade 9 to a team with 10 or 11 before the draft, then on draft night after Kako is bid on get that team to trade you pick 10 or 11.
Before draft 9 for 30,f2,f3.
After that team uses pick 9, they trade you
11 for 50,f2,f3.
You get Kako and pick 11.
Thanks in advance.

I don't understand people (both journos and fans) annoyed at us for not doing anything of note this trade period. We have **** all to bargain with thanks for previous trade period mishaps (hey dodo!) so im not sure what they want us to do? We pretty much get Kako and whatever scraps we can get for stringer/shiel/lav and thats it, can't make something out of nothing. We have been super active the last X number of years, every club seems to have a nothing year and this is ours. I also like the fact that if nothing is really grabbing our attention we are happy to just play it cool. No more chasing anyone and everyone just to show off that we are trade period kings (hey dodo!).

Hello Bombers, you will be thanking me.
There is an easy way to solve this problem.
Trade 9 to a team with 10 or 11 before the draft, then on draft night after Kako is bid on get that team to trade you pick 10 or 11.
Before draft 9 for 30,f2,f3.
After that team uses pick 9, they trade you
11 for 50,f2,f3.
You get Kako and pick 11.
Thanks in advance.

Doubt any side bids on a small forward inside the top 10. That's midfielder and forwards territory. Unless it's out of spite.

We also messed up by not expunging ourselves of the previous list manager sooner, whom the Prez implied did not have a list management strategy.

Those three top 10 picks in 2020. Wtf.

That 2020 draft is a heap of shit.

When you look at who we could have gotten instead of the three we picked there is a good chance we still take Perkins.

With absolute hindsight we take

Gulden (and hope Sydney don't match)
Holmes
Perkins
Ollie Henry if Gulden is matched.

When you look at who we could have gotten instead of the three we picked there is a good chance we still take Perkins.

Holmes
Perkins
It just beggars belief that we had that draft hand and had no actual strategic plan. That's the part that really eats at me. I've bitched about it before, but the fact we were only solving the tall back gap by drafting Reid then really does highlight the lack of a clear sustainable plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It just beggars belief that we had that draft hand and had no actual strategic plan. That's the part that really eats at me. I've bitched about it before, but the fact we were only solving the tall back gap by drafting Reid then really does highlight the lack of a clear sustainable plan.
Dunkley was the right move then for 2 of the top 10s. Shouldve hustled as much as was required after he committed. I'll always maintain that draft picks are severely overrated.

Holmes
Perkins

The biggest opportunity in that draft was Collingwood were actively shopping their ff as they had daicos coming.

At the time I didn’t get why we didn’t do that. It seemed an easy win to avoid such a lottery / no scouting or development year.

When Weideman played the finals where pretty much gone and seriously if you think that it has hurt Hayes by not getting 2 games then you really are struggling.
It is the optics my friend. Hayes was doing really well, maybe form tapered off slightly after the midway point of the season but you simply had to reward a young player for doing the work. Going back to a journeyman who (likely) won't be here next year was a bad move.

Do you stop and think about this before you post?

Reid was getting fit and on the park before he suffered an injury completely unrelated to his previous issues. Trading out Hobbs as he’s starting to hit his straps is dumb.

You get very little for b and c grade players, so much so it’s fairly pointless trying to shop them around. We’re every chance of getting a late third round pick for Stringer, we’ll get nothing for the likes of Setterfield.

At the end of the day we have had to relearn how to be a professional organisation at almost every level, that takes time to do and it takes time to implement the improvements. Because of the nature of the draft, salary caps, equalisation, contract durations etc it’s going to take many years to turn the ship around and the unavoidable fact is we probably won’t know if Scott is the right guy until he’s into his 5th year.
year 4 has just been completed. Not like these kids are going to be much better than they currently are. Obviously fitness the main thing holding Zac from realising his potential but he is the epitome of what we have done for 20 years. Held onto a player in hope they come good. Occasionally someone comes good from so far back but we are pinning our hopes on 3 kids barely getting across the ground to become role players, let alone stars they were projected to become pre draft.

I added some to my reply but anyway.
Some of this is not practical. You saying we have to move Hobbs in after year 3 ? seriously ? just for picks.
That is a blow up the list move.
Every club in the comp would persevere with Reid for 4 years before making a call. No one is giving up a decent pick to get him anyway.
If the list is average how are our B and C grade players going to net us something ?
Moving Stringer out is not desperate or silly. He is not the future.
Im not moving Hobbs on because he cant play, the decision would be because he doesn't fit in with the current group. Same as a Parish, or Shiel etc.

The previous regime really has hamstrung us from doing anything really unless Rosa(and Scott) wants to be bold is what I am trying to say. Move on Hobbs for a top 20 pick, purely to absorb the Kako bid and balance our next pick(s), move on a Redman if it needs to be for a top 15 pick. Move on Laverde and try and get a pick inside 40 for him.

Rosa said today we're looking at 3 - 4 picks at the draft. That is currently pick 9, Kako and whatever scraps come of the absolved points from our second third pick. Unless we get creative and want to do as Ive suggested

If Kako gets bid on and we end up trading pick 9 into next year we will be talking about it in five years time as a mistake.

We have missed so many opportunities in the past. We finally get a "free" hit with Kako and instead of getting two first round players in a strong draft we are looking to trade out of it. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

We should be pushing and trying to move up the order. If that costs us a F1 then so be it. I would rather 2 this year (including Kako) than Kako this year and two first rounders next year.

The list is cooked. We need to turn it over and get games into youth as soon as possible.

I've had too much to drink for a Thursday.

If Kako gets bid on and we end up trading pick 9 into next year we will be talking about it in five years time as a mistake.

We have missed so many opportunities in the past. We finally get a "free" hit with Kako and instead of getting two first round players in a strong draft we are looking to trade out of it. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

We should be pushing and trying to move up the order. If that costs us a F1 then so be it. I would rather 2 this year (including Kako) than Kako this year and two first rounders next year.

The list is cooked. We need to turn it over and get games into youth as soon as possible.

I've had too much to drink for a Thursday.
if im trading out next years first, im trying everything to get another 2024 pick as well.. fully expect our 2025 first to be a top 5 selection

harsh but true

if im trading out next years first, im trying everything to get another 2024 pick as well.. fully expect our 2025 first to be a top 5 selection

harsh but true
I agree, I cannot see us finishing higher than 14th and I still think it's the right call.

In twelve months time I think the following will happen; Draper will get poached by Adelaide and hopefully we will get Band 1 compensation essentially replacing the traded F1.

The truth is we are backs against the wall here. We've hamstrung ourselves with long contracts to average players. This is going to take a very long time to fix. Brads 8 year timeline is optimistic and I'm fine with that, but we need to start the process of building a proper list. That needs to start now, with this draft.

What is going on here, you guys have lost the plot

We are a victim a bit of our own circumstance. We had very good players Saad, Daniher, Mckenna all want out in 2020 and we ended up with 3 top 10 picks in the worse draft ever

Dodoro got us Gresham, Mckay and Duursma basically for free

Everyone was picking Hobbs and Tsatas where they went

People keep saying we should be doing stuff but then dont say anything or say something ridiculously unrealistic

We arent trading out if the 1st unless a bid comes, which is basically the only sensible option

I actually dont think the top 15 of this draft is that amazing compared to many others. Sure the eveness means you could get your top rated player at pick range 5-9

The only thing is we can get guys that cost nothing/little (Prior, Sharp, Dev Robbo, Kostanty, Hawk fall out)

Draper is not getting us a Band 1 plus we need to be going hard at all the quality FAs in 12 months time (LDU, Fogarty, Ed Richards, Rayner, Starcevich ect) so it likeky wont matter if we get one of them

Brad Scott isnt doing much different to his brother, his vastly improved our territory game, our inside 50 diff is great, just the personnel is

It is extremely hard to be a melbourne based club now. Your competing with 9 other sides for FAs and the majority are picking Geelong due to location the huge adv they have that produces success

If a Bolton wants to return home, he has 2 clubs and if one is terrible then the club is picked for you, there is zero competition

The huge positive for us will come from a pick hopefully before Kako. Getting 2 top 10 talents plus some late darts would be great

Long contracts to avg players?
Redman, other clubs were offering more
Parish, you need to take into account No Parish then also No Mckay

The issue with our list is only the victim of circumstance with covid 2020. Instead of getting H.Young, Serong and L.Henry.... we didnt get to watch anyone and got Reid, Cox and Perkins

The only issues i have is i wish we grabbed only 1 tall that year, said it before the draft and straight after (Bruhn or Powell were my picks)

I probably wouldve liked to have seen Hobbs, Eli and Hayes in the last round or two

Last edited:
Your initial proposal was that St Kilda was trying to leverage Essendon into trading pick 9 to them. I'm telling you that we will remove that leverage.

In any case, I think we're done here, as you seem incapable of grasping what I'm telling you.
Once St Kilda make a bid any leverage we have is gone, you either pass on Kako or trade 9 for the best available offer.

Once you look to trade 9 the landscape changes entirely and St Kilda may or may not put the best offer going forward.

Based on recent reports, I suspect the best offer may come from GWS and it could be good enough for you to make the trade before draft night, again removing any leverage St kilda had.

Believe it or not, but I have never thought we have you ever a barrell.

Once St Kilda make a bid any leverage we have is gone, you either pass on Kako or trade 9 for the best available offer.

Once you look to trade 9 the landscape changes entirely and St Kilda may or may not put the best offer going forward.

Based on recent reports, I suspect the best offer may come from GWS and it could be good enough for you to make the trade before draft night, again removing any leverage St kilda had.

Believe it or not, but I have never thought we have you ever a barrell.
This is what happens

You go into the draft scenarios based

We would have a scenario on a Kako bid from 7-9 lined up

These scenarios wouldnt be with any of those clubs in that draft range

Most likely it looks like with Melbourne

Come pick 9 Saints pick in the draft, they may try hold us hostage and say we will bid on Kako at 9 unless you trade it for our F1

We either call the bluff and hold out, hopeful it is just that, a bluff, or we do the trade with Stkilda

Nothing would be pre planned with Stkilda, just makes no sense

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back