Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok draft watches, I don’t watch games like you. So I need to know who do we go for?
Will have a pick between 7-9 that could blow out with Ashcroft/GCS academy/Battle compo.
Looking at Cals list we may have these people in our range(all needs IMO):
Armstrong (key fwd)
Lalor (187cm tackling mid)
Travaglia (187cm attacking defender)
Joe Berry (180cm goal kicking forward)

Ok draft watches, I don’t watch games like you. So I need to know who do we go for?
Will have a pick between 7-9 that could blow out with Ashcroft/GCS academy/Battle compo.
Looking at Cals list we may have these people in our range(all needs IMO):
Armstrong (key fwd)
Lalor (187cm tackling mid)
Travaglia (187cm attacking defender)
Joe Berry (180cm goal kicking forward)

Would add Hynes and Bo Allen to the list.

We so badly need a strong bodied mid with outside skills/a 2nd position.

If we get a pick before Kako then INSERT PLAYER, Kako and Noah Caracella....

then TRADE any other picks for future picks or PASS to have 1 or 2 extra rookie spots
Noah would be lucky to be on our VFL list next year

Look for players with good natural playing skills like Durham. Enough with the half bank flankers and college softies or trying to turn players into midfielders who aren't etc.

Houston, maybe.

What about a Rioli, there has to be a Rioli out there we could consider.

Look at the VFL and regional leagues for in form talent, and maybe throw some big contracts at AA stars at other clubs whom want a change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we literally blew 3 top 10 picks not just 4 years ago ago on perkins, cox and reid. All of whom have turned out to be cooked units.

i have zero faith we will do any good with this pick, even if dodoro is gone.

we literally blew 3 top 10 picks not just 4 years ago ago on perkins, cox and reid. All of whom have turned out to be cooked units.

I’ve asked this question before. Who should we have picked instead of these three?
Max Holmes is the only one I can think of.

Can we at least hack into the recruiting databases of Geelong or Sydney and see who they rate 🤔
they clearly know the look of the kids they want to draft. it’s very blonde hair blue eyes down in geelong

Go have a look at the 2020 draft and tell me who you would’ve picked ahead of those three with any conviction. Hindsight isn’t even 20/20 in this scenario.

Draft has proved to be very weak, thats our luck though, the one year we get 3 top ten picks and its the worst draft in a decade.
Very unlucky but we shouldn’t have kept those 3 picks and should have traded atleast one of them to the next year. Covid draft was always going to be a tough one, the Holmes pick was a suprise to everyone as his bottom age footy was fairly limited compared to some kids who got to play a full season before Covid at least.

Very unlucky but we shouldn’t have kept those 3 picks and should have traded atleast one of them to the next year. Covid draft was always going to be a tough one, the Holmes pick was a suprise to everyone as his bottom age footy was fairly limited compared to some kids who got to play a full season before Covid at least.

Yeah this was the dumb mistake we made.

We should have 100% moved one of those picks into the next year.

I don’t know if we are going for another key forward and if he will be available to us but I just watched the highlights of Armstrong and I’ve got to say I’m impressed. Took a couple of nice contested marks while not in the best position. Tall athletic and a left footer. Looks like a gem.

you did not like last years draft ?

I’ve asked this question before. Who should we have picked instead of these three?
Max Holmes is the only one I can think of.
Spot on. Apart from Holmes, the only 2 players available to us who we passed on and who would have been in the minds of most clubs recruiters at our picks were Henry and Bruhn. Both Geelong Falcons kids, who though selected by Pies and GWS ended up back down in Geelong. Just as likely would have happened if we'd called their name at the draft.
We cop a fair bit of stick for having blown the opportunity of that draft, but it's hard to name a transformational level player that we could have selected.
Further , it can be argued Reid's injury woes are largely down to bad luck. And remember the furore at the time about Perkins saying he didn't want to leave Victoria and consequent claims of draft tampering. Why were all those posters from other clubs so vexed if he wasn't widely regarded as a top 10 pick candidate? Yet now apparently we were dumb to have picked him.
There's no doubt the result is disappointing, but much of the criticism of our selections is unfair. We again had the misfortune to gave great draft capital in bad year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back