Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless Dodo has taking over another clubs recruiting department and wants to be spiteful I don't really think Kako is at any risk anyway, all the clubs in front of us needs mids badly (Richmond and Saints need to double dip) and I really doubt Carlton and Dogs are going to trade up for Kako when they can sit back and do nothing and get one of Berry, Hotton and Hannaford, makes no sense to give up capital in a draft for them when the bid can be matched.

Depending on what happens with Bolton, Richmond/Freo I can see going for a small forward but the only Richmond will have picks in front of us is 1 and maybe 5 which is too high. (They can go Jagga and FOS if the draft plays out right for them, or FOS and Lalor, or Langford and Lalor etc.)

Only way Adelaide don't pick up Draper is if he goes before their vid.

I come in peace (sort of). Apparently we are interested in your pick 9. We have been interviewing kako as well. What are your thoughts on trading up to make sure you get two first rounders?

I come in peace (sort of). Apparently we are interested in your pick 9. We have been interviewing kako as well. What are your thoughts on trading up to make sure you get two first rounders?
Pass for me.

Good in theory hard in practice.

Essendon don’t have 3rd or 4th round picks this year to help with points as they traded them last year.

So even if they gave up 1-2 2nd round picks to move up they’d still have to find the points somewhere for Kako via trade.

If Saints/dees actually bid, I’d say Essendon are More likely to trade out of that spot. Get a haul for pick 10-12 in a super draft and match Kako for peanuts.

Edit: if that pick is actually available every team in the comp will want it. If it goes to the highest bidder there will be a bidding war and I wouldn’t bet on St kilda having enough to interest Essendon to get it.

Good in theory hard in practice.

Essendon don’t have 3rd or 4th round picks this year to help with points as they traded them last year.

So even if they gave up 1-2 2nd round picks to move up they’d still have to find the points somewhere for Kako via trade.

If Saints/dees actually bid, I’d say Essendon are More likely to trade out of that spot. Get a haul for pick 10-12 in a super draft and match Kako for peanuts.
By trade out you mean trade into next year?

If there’s any doubt on not getting our first + Kako, surely we trade out our first rounder. Straight swap for a F1st from Tiges, North or WCE?

Kako is our biggest need - ✅

Another year to see how Hobbs, Perkins, Reid, Cox, Tsatis, Saad, Roberts, Davieses’ on - or not.

Get a feel for Draper staying or going (compo).

Then possibly have the draft load to:
  • draft with better needs assessment
  • go hard for H Reid (WCE wanting draft capital to get the Chad)
  • draft and trade for needs

Would be a swop of futures. Pick 8 for 9 and a future of some sorts. Maybe a second. Or a straight swop of 9 for a future first

Would be a swop of futures. Pick 8 for 9 and a future of some sorts. Maybe a second. Or a straight swop of 9 for a future first
It's probably better for us to wait and see. Live trading is an option.

Why bother. Just feels like extortion.

Essendon has a pretty young list and don’t really have the opportunity for a FRP at AFL level this year aside from at SF (Kako)

A future 3rd to move up 1 spot just doesn’t feel like good value when due to the quality of the draft every team would make an offer for pick 10

Why bother. Just feels like extortion.

Essendon has a pretty young list and don’t really have the opportunity for a FRP at AFL level this year aside from at SF (Kako)

A future 3rd to move up 1 spot just doesn’t feel like good value when due to the quality of the draft every team would make an offer for pick 10
SOS has history of bidding on players. Moving up to pick 8 might be your only option to get two picks in this draft. No one else will be willing to move out of the top ten.

Cal twomey is a massive bombers nuffy and he has banged on every episode of gettable that Essendon must trade up and get ahead of the kako bid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d pick to our rankings. If a team tries to extort us with a dummy bid, let them take him. As Ant said, there’s quality up to our second rounder.

SOS has history of bidding on players. Moving up to pick 8 might be your only option to get two picks in this draft. No one else will be willing to move out of the top ten.

For sure.

It’s just it’s a better option for us to only have 1 top 10 pick this draft (Kako via points matching) then to trade up for a 2nd.

If Essendon trade pick 10 at market value they will get very good offers including future firsts from other teams as a starting point.

You’d like to have 2 firsts this year but if it’s not possible it’s not possible and Essendon can’t afford to have that pick get absorbed. That’s just bad management. So worst case scenario you get F1 and hope the team that gave you that future pick goes poorly next season

Yeah but we can get two picks next year instead. Without compromising our draft hand.

For sure.

It’s just it’s a better option for us to only have 1 top 10 pick this draft (Kako via points matching) then to trade up for a 2nd.

If Essendon trade pick 10 at market value they will get very good offers including future firsts from other teams as a starting point.

You’d like to have 2 firsts this year but if it’s not possible it’s not possible and Essendon can’t afford to have that pick get absorbed. That’s just bad management. So worst case scenario you get F1 and hope the team that gave you that future pick goes poorly next season
It was my info and the basis seemed to centre around

Pick 9 for pick 26 and our future first.

Which you could I suppose on trade post the Kako bid and come back in if you wanted? 🤷‍♂️

Not saying it’s happening. Just that it’s going to be asked of you. Pointed out we will bid.

Why?

Because Kako even at pick 6 after the discount and trade shenanigans probably only costs you pick 28

So even if it’s not as good value as if he was in the 12-20 range he should likely be in it’s still better value then taking a different player at 30 or whatever our 2RP drops too.

So it’s the value play even if it’s not as big of a steal as you’d expect/prefer

Just have to find a positive value trade for pick 10 (in a loaded draft that other teams will definitely overpay for) and your in front

Yeah, we can take three first round talents over the next 2 years. I'd rather take two this year and one next year than one this year and one next year
Well. It is so easy then it will just get done then. I am sure clubs are lining up to accommodate what we want.
If they can do a deal in the time that it takes between bid and answer then fine but if there is no such deal then sorry but I am not matching. That is my point. In the situation where we are looking down the barrel of making a decision with 10 seconds on the clock and no deals then for me it is a pass.

Last edited:
I’d pick to our rankings. If a team tries to extort us with a dummy bid, let them take him. As Ant said, there’s quality up to our second rounder.
Cutting off your nose to spite your face though with this approach.

Ideally we get Kako + someone else and then someone else next year.
If someone bids on Kako and we stick to our picks, we end up with Kako and then someone else next year.
If we pre-empt that by trading out of the first round to the 2025 first round now, we get Kako + two someones next year.

There will be a few clubs that want out pick this year for next, I'd just trade with whoever gives us the best deal and get it over and done with.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face though with this approach.

Ideally we get Kako + someone else and then someone else next year.
If someone bids on Kako and we stick to our picks, we end up with Kako and then someone else next year.
If we pre-empt that by trading out of the first round to the 2025 first round now, we get Kako + two someones next year.

There will be a few clubs that want out pick this year for next, I'd just trade with whoever gives us the best deal and get it over and done with.
If you trade out of pick 9 this year into next and we bid on kako at 8. Would you have enough points to match?

Well. It is so easy then it will just get done then. I am sure clubs are lining up to accommodate what we want.
Do you seriously think no clubs would want pick 11/12 this year? If I'm the Dogs or Port I'm trading my F1 and points for that pick.

Like come on. Why wouldn't clubs do that?

If you trade out of pick 9 this year into next and we bid on kako at 8. Would you have enough points to match?
Probably, we would need to get two picks in the 40s to go with our pick 31 plus the discount. GWS, GC and Richmond all have a lot of picks past 30 that they won't use.

Do you seriously think no clubs would want pick 11/12 this year? If I'm the Dogs or Port I'm trading my F1 and points for that pick.

Like come on. Why wouldn't clubs do that?
You really know what clubs are thinking right now and what deals are going to be done ? Come on.
I was just saying that if push come to shove and we had to make a choice you do not match. That is the bloody point. No one can predict exactly what will happen. Deals may be getting done but that is not what I was talking about. I did not say do not match if we have traded out. I said my opinion was you do not match the bid if the picks we have are 9 and 30.
Maybe quote the whole bloody thing and not pick out one line!

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back