Port Douglas 5.2-32 def South Cairns 2.3-15
Port Douglas 5.7-37 def Centrals Trinity Beach 1.8-14
South Cairns 3.4-22 def by Cairns City Lions 4.3-27
Centrals Trinity Beach 7.2-44 def Cairns City Lions 3.2-20

Pool B

Cairns Saints 5.3-33 def North Cairns 2.4-16
North Cairns 4.7-31 def Manunda Hawks 1.1-7
Manunda Hawks 3.2-20 def by Cairns Saints 4.6-30

Port Douglas and Cairns Saints with 2 wins each in their pools proceed to the Final, which will be played next Saturday, 19th March 2011 at Cazalys Stadium at 3:00pm.

I think your being a little hard on Brett Potter , no tougher job in a football club than a President has, 30-40 hours a week as a volunteer,,while the majority of the football departments are paid..If someone was interested in taking the job of Brett, i would be pretty sure he would be over the moon,, but of course no one want's to do the toughest job for nothing..and to have a crack at a bloke for having a drink at the bar.. GOD CRIKEY.. Readycns you must be a tea toatler who walks around squeezing his bum cheeks

agree 100%
get on any of the forums and there are people who want to use this media as a way to attack, clubs , presidents and coaches etc. coaches I can somtimes except as they get paid, but it is as weak as p1ss to use this forum to attack blokes who give their free time and clubs as a whole. the people doing this are ussually the weak willed who dont have the guts to say what they want to someones face. i dont like every president i have met but i admire their ability to put up with the shit every club endures. most presidents are blokes who love footy, never been afraid to fight to keep a hold of what they think is important (their footy club), they probably dont even want to be the president but no one else will take the crap.

A president drinking on game day, big deal. i buy our president a beer every week for the work he does, even when i have the sh1ts with him. how presidents dont get full every game day amazes me. they work two jobs and game day is their friday afternoon when they can let the caoches etc finally run the show. like i said weak as p1ss to attack volunteers.

Seems seeing another tiger ran out for the Mighty Hawks today..... Go Hawkies!

Whilst there is a fair bit of light on the north cairns and manunda relationship, could it have something to do with president Brett Potter...... Seems to coincidental that sooooo many players have left the club, a new coach every year...... Maguane, Oakley, Lord and now Ricter that its a reflection of the leadership.... Potters work ethic and appearance has alot to be desired for and by his attire and constant prescence in the bar on game day, could this be why people are leaving. A good role model to have at the top it seems and a far cry from the leaders of the past. Good luck to Ricter as he is clearly the only shining light on a club thats lights, from what the whispers say, will shortly be turned OFF!

Saints look to be the measuring stick of the comp and will again figure in the finals series. The brains trust of Max O'Halloran will surely have the saints up and running for 2011. Doesnt seem to be any new recruits but there seems to be whispers of an ex AFL player coming to cairns and heading over to Saints for the season.....

The new look Lions, look to be very weak..... New coach Seymour (ANOTHER ex tiger) will have his work cut out for him for the 2011 season. Labelled a developing year, i cant not help but think, they will go winless for the season.....

weak as p1ss to attack people from behind an alias on an open forum

Whilst there is a fair bit of light on the north cairns and manunda relationship, could it have something to do with president Brett Potter...... Seems to coincidental that sooooo many players have left the club, a new coach every year...... Maguane, Oakley, Lord and now Ricter that its a reflection of the leadership.... Potters work ethic and appearance has alot to be desired for and by his attire and constant prescence in the bar on game day, could this be why people are leaving. A good role model to have at the top it seems and a far cry from the leaders of the past. Good luck to Ricter as he is clearly the only shining light on a club thats lights, from what the whispers say, will shortly be turned OFF!
Was gonna leave this one alone because its so ridiculous, but it got the better of me.
Firstly, you say we have a new coach every year, McGuane was coach for 3 years, failed to take us to the finals and was not re-appointed. Oakley was in his 2nd year at the club when he lost the support of the playing group, and moved on (a decision which proved right as we improved markedly after his departure). Wes Lord was only ever going to be an interim coach, and as for Kane, I am very confident he will be a long term and successful coach of the club.
Now onto the president, I will agree with you on 1 thing; he definitely isn't the most attractive man in the league, but he can't help that.:D
As for quesioning his work ethic, you must be kidding. Why don't you ask your president how many hours he puts in every week for nothing else but the love of the club, and see what his response is. You obviously have no idea what it takes to run a football club. He and his wife are absolutely tireless and pretty much ran the club by themselves over the last couple of years.
Not sure if this was your 1st post or not, but it definitely takes the cake as being the most ridiculous thing I've read on this forum.
PS. We're not going anywhere, our lights will be shining brightly at our home ground for years to come:thumbsu:

I think your being a little hard on Brett Potter , no tougher job in a football club than a President has, 30-40 hours a week as a volunteer,,while the majority of the football departments are paid..If someone was interested in taking the job of Brett, i would be pretty sure he would be over the moon,, but of course no one want's to do the toughest job for nothing..and to have a crack at a bloke for having a drink at the bar.. GOD CRIKEY.. Readycns you must be a tea toatler who walks around squeezing his bum cheeks

Couldnt agree more old mate, dunno all the club Presidents up here, but the few I do know bust their arse over the course of not only the footy season, but also the off season, putting in many thousand of un paid hours for the privelidge, whilst also costing them plenty out of their own pockets, so I say, why dont we make a round dedicated to the Presidents, and those who want to sit and bag them can run the club for just the 1 day the Presidents are sittin in the bar, and can actually watch a whole game, while the critics run around and try and organise the day, set up the ground, cook the BBQ, help behind the bar, try and speak with sponsors,then help out on the nite, then listen to players whinge, then clean up afetr them, then clean up the rooms the next day, lets see if anyone has the intestanal fortitude to step up to the plate and actually help out!!!

Any seconders for the idea of a Presidents day?

A couple of guys who have copped a bit of stick showed a few up today at cazalys. Souths coach showed he will probably be their best player. He had a fair 2 games till he gave away a 50 in the dying minutes of the loss to City's. And the 38yr old for Saints showed probably the cleanest ball handling of anyone all day and will be pushing for a senior spot rd.1 no doubt.

Couple Lazy Sausage rolls for the 38yr to Lachrilly... Could be the man to hold down full fwd till Walsh returns mid yr.
Good couple wins by the saints and this weekend will see the main recruits have their first run for the yr..

Saints look to be the measuring stick of the comp and will again figure in the finals series. The brains trust of Max O'Halloran will surely have the saints up and running for 2011. Doesnt seem to be any new recruits but there seems to be whispers of an ex AFL player coming to cairns and heading over to Saints for the season.....

The new look Lions, look to be very weak..... New coach Seymour (ANOTHER ex tiger) will have his work cut out for him for the 2011 season. Labelled a developing year, i cant not help but think, they will go winless for the season.....

I too will join this debate. Mate whoever you are you couldn't have it more stuffed up even if you tried. What sort of cretin are you? I'll tell you so you don't have to think. A very mis-informed, misled, unintelligent one. A few occasions I have seen Brett Potter at dusk mowing Watsons Oval at dusk. No one has been there helping him. The reason Brett is in the bar is to serve people. No one else is there to do it. In seasons past Norths have had a very small team of helpers, do you expect people to stand at a bar and not get served. I know for a fact that Pottsie has put in a lot of hours just trying to keep the clock ticking over. And to have a recalcitrent like you bad mouth him on this forum is a lot to be desired. :mad:

Let me take this opportunity to clear up some facts regarding Chris. First of all, I am involved with the last club Chris coached at in Mt Isa. I was also part of the committee that appointed him to his first coaching appointment in his footy career. I still currently retain a position on the Executive of that club but am not on this forum acting in any official capacity. And, I am not here on an Alias name.

I too have received a couple of agressive phone and text messages from Chris in the last few months regarding comments being posted on this forum. One of those was that I was posting on this forum under an alias, which I categorically deny.

I have joined bigfooty to see in full what all the fuss is about. I have not come on this site to bag or defend Chris (I think that has already been done) but to state a few facts:

1. South Cairns never made contact with the Club in Mt Isa regarding Chris's coaching in 2010. Not that their is anything wrong with that, South Cairns can select their coach in which ever fashion they feel. All clubs are different, just look at the AFL itself and all clubs have different selection methods.

2. As reported on this forum and the Cairns Post Chris has had some association with Port Melbourne in the VFL and a WAFL side. He had some involvement with Port Melbourne Reserves but never their senior side. If you have a look at the Sportingpulse website for Port Melbourne they have a listing of all recorded players who have ever played for the club since its inception over 100 years ago. As for the WAFL, Chris's resume indicated he participated in a preseason with a WAFL team but did not make the cut. He played that season in the Goldfields in WA.

3. Our footy club has left 2010 in the past. We have reviewed the pro and cons of all facets of our club, taken them on board and moved on. Some of those pros and cons relate to Chris's performance as Coach and we will learn and improve from What Chris did well and things that did not work for him. In my 12 years playing at this club I have found that all coach's differ and there is always players who will enjoy playing under a certain coach and some that don't. Quite possibly one of ouir current or past members (we generally have a 60% turnover of players being a mining town) have taken a swipe on Chris on this forum, but having read all this I would say there is only one of our club members here. It appears to me that their has been somebody from every club Chris has played with have a swipe on this forum, but I am sure we have all offended people in the past some more than others. There have been some who have been positive.

I doubt I'll be having time to come back on this forum again because I have more important things to do, but if anyone wish's to contact me they can contact me via email on bbravos75@yahoo.com.au

I wish Chris and the cutters the best of luck, but I will be barracking for Port Douglas Crocs given I lived their for a couple of years back in the mid nineties.

Oh, and I hope the Bombers smash the mighty Pies tomorrow night.

Some interesting info their Ben. Good to see you and the President from the Cutters come out and help try and put an end to this subject (although Ben, reading between the lines you were holding your tongue).

The footy has begun in earnest and people will start to let the footy do the talking.

Now I think it must be acknowledged that whilst ALL presidents do a mountain of work, as do all committee members, i think we all know that and to question a presidents work ethic is more than just a bit rough on the poor buggers. However i do think that if there is a correlation between the mass exodus of players from one club at a certain period of time then someone has to take responsibility. It's hard enough to get players, let alone let the ones you have slip through your fingers. As naive and uninformed as some of readycns' comments are, there is a statistical fact associated with them that must be looked at more closely by Norths supporters and committee.
Just saying is all.

Yeh on the money there Lach you fella, some very good footy given the conditions, what about Harbrow form the Hawks, he was very good in the slush,

Whats Braico doin, heard he was playing with the Hawks, see him runnin around with City's, and didnt see big Cam with the Bullies, was he working???

Saints looked ok, Port were very good, although they had the best of conditions, Hawks were fair, better for the run, Tigers were good, excellent game plan, Bulldogs dissapointed, but will be ok, Cutters will struggle, but the coach was reasonable as were a couple of the kids, Cities, well, long year comin up out there I think!!

Good luck to all teams this year!!

While its great to hear peoples opinions of the local comp, I struggle to un derstand how we can form an opinion of where each club is at, based on the performances in the pre-season cup last weekend.:confused:

Most clubs in the comp have more recruits on the way and Im sure individual game plans will revolve around some of the new arrivals.:thumbsu:

I too will join this debate. Mate whoever you are you couldn't have it more stuffed up even if you tried. What sort of cretin are you? I'll tell you so you don't have to think. A very mis-informed, misled, unintelligent one. A few occasions I have seen Brett Potter at dusk mowing Watsons Oval at dusk. No one has been there helping him. The reason Brett is in the bar is to serve people. No one else is there to do it. In seasons past Norths have had a very small team of helpers, do you expect people to stand at a bar and not get served. I know for a fact that Pottsie has put in a lot of hours just trying to keep the clock ticking over. And to have a recalcitrent like you bad mouth him on this forum is a lot to be desired. :mad:

Flintstone thanks for the comments about Potts, no family has given more to the Tigers over the past 5 years than Brett & Lexie. Fair chance this is his last year as Prez & hopefully someone younger from the current Committee will stand up. Speaking with him on Sat he looked knackered & the Season is yet to start but he is still positive that the current blokes that are pulling on the Tigers jumper this season are doing so with pride & not out there chasing $$$ like others. To the best of my knowledge it is still the only stand alone/ non Cazalys club left (dont want to start a debate whether this is good or not) & the task to raise $$$ is never ending but having said that a fresh committee is in place & hopefully this club will move forward in a very positive manner. They were far from disgraced on Sat & showed a lot more spirit & determination than Hawks in back to back games but then again it is only pre season comp.
I am looking forward to a great 2011 Season & hopefully the gap between all clubs is not too great & we can have some cracking games this year without seeing 1 or 2 clubs getting smashed every week. Cheers.

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Flintstone thanks for the comments about Potts, no family has given more to the Tigers over the past 5 years than Brett & Lexie. Fair chance this is his last year as Prez & hopefully someone younger from the current Committee will stand up. Speaking with him on Sat he looked knackered & the Season is yet to start but he is still positive that the current blokes that are pulling on the Tigers jumper this season are doing so with pride & not out there chasing $$$ like others. To the best of my knowledge it is still the only stand alone/ non Cazalys club left (dont want to start a debate whether this is good or not) & the task to raise $$$ is never ending but having said that a fresh committee is in place & hopefully this club will move forward in a very positive manner. They were far from disgraced on Sat & showed a lot more spirit & determination than Hawks in back to back games but then again it is only pre season comp.
I am looking forward to a great 2011 Season & hopefully the gap between all clubs is not too great & we can have some cracking games this year without seeing 1 or 2 clubs getting smashed every week. Cheers.

I think you would find that both Cairns Saints and Port Douglas are also standing alone without Afl Cairns support as such

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I think you would find that both Cairns Saints and Port Douglas are also standing alone without Afl Cairns support as such​

Blueeyes if I am wrong I apologise, I recall as of 2 years ago only Tigers were doing it on their own (advised by Ex AFL Cairns employee), if Saints & Crocs are stand alone then that is great & I hope they further improve their respective situations. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're basing your game plan around one or two people who haven't even turned up yet, you're going to be a bit behind the eight ball when the games start in less than two weeks' time.

More than any other competition, the Cairns AFL changes drastically from year to year teams rise and fall quite sharply, so there is lots to be gained from watching the pre-season games.

How many of the clubs actually have more people coming up in the next 10 days who will be good enough to change a team??

Blueeyes if I am wrong I apologise, I recall as of 2 years ago only Tigers were doing it on their own (advised by Ex AFL Cairns employee), if Saints & Crocs are stand alone then that is great & I hope they further improve their respective situations. :)

Scorpion, can confirm after research with a butcher at raintrees, that the HAWKS are stand alone, and from what he tells me, whilst he was making very ordinary looking snags, they are going along ok, whilst holding the wolves at bay!!

If you're basing your game plan around one or two people who haven't even turned up yet, you're going to be a bit behind the eight ball when the games start in less than two weeks' time.

More than any other competition, the Cairns AFL changes drastically from year to year teams rise and fall quite sharply, so there is lots to be gained from watching the pre-season games.

How many of the clubs actually have more people coming up in the next 10 days who will be good enough to change a team??

Some excellent points there Saint and I think personally the weekend showed (even if teams were missing some big recruits) the depth each club has. Obviously Saints, Port, Centrals and perhaps Mununda have the best depth judging by there performances.

Port looked very sharp but seemed to lack genuine height.

Saints looked bigger and still have a great midfield. I think there seson will hinge on Walsh and Kennedy and weather they can make an impact when or if they return from injury.

Hawks looked to have the least amount of recruits playing and I still think they will be the team to beat this season and Tyson's Centrals could produce anything???

Norths are not the only stand alone club I'm 99% sure Saints are but not sure if Port are or not.

Some excellent points there Saint and I think personally the weekend showed (even if teams were missing some big recruits) the depth each club has. Obviously Saints, Port, Centrals and perhaps Mununda have the best depth judging by there performances.

Port looked very sharp but seemed to lack genuine height.

Saints looked bigger and still have a great midfield. I think there seson will hinge on Walsh and Kennedy and weather they can make an impact when or if they return from injury.

Hawks looked to have the least amount of recruits playing and I still think they will be the team to beat this season and Tyson's Centrals could produce anything???

Norths are not the only stand alone club I'm 99% sure Saints are but not sure if Port are or not.

Saints are stand alone... Walsh will be back to 100% by about round 8-9 and Kennedy trained last night so should be back sooner rather than later

it was getting too much for Potts to take care of & run a club.

Why people comment on things they obviously know nothing about baffles me.

This is not the reason that Norths have been talking with CAFL about the ground. It involves a wide variety of factors. None of which are Potts inability to take care of/running the club.

If you want to comment on Norths issues, go to the club, join the committee, get involved with Norths. Don't sit outside the club and poke inside like you know what you are talking about when you clearly don't.

On a related note I hear that Saints are getting kicked out of their ground this year.. Cricket had enough of them.. (Didn't really hear that but this has just as much merit as anything else posted here)

Well, let me see..................Kennedy and Walsh to start with. I have been around long enough to witness these two blokes, not only change a team but win games off their own boot!!! They may not be here in 10 days but will be here when it counts. As will most recruits that are still to arrive. Lets not forget the Darwin boys who are just coming off the back end of their season.

If you were able to take something from the weekends games (enough to form an opinion of the clubs prospcts for the year), then you're a better judge of talent and game plans than me.

Good luck to both the Saints and Port for the pre-season cup.
My tip: Saints by a good margin.

Why people comment on things they obviously know nothing about baffles me.

This is not the reason that Norths have been talking with CAFL about the ground. It involves a wide variety of factors. None of which are Potts inability to take care of/running the club.

If you want to comment on Norths issues, go to the club, join the committee, get involved with Norths. Don't sit outside the club and poke inside like you know what you are talking about when you clearly don't.

On a related note I hear that Saints are getting kicked out of their ground this year.. Cricket had enough of them.. (Didn't really hear that but this has just as much merit as anything else posted here)

Not a bad comment son, the 1st bit I was refering to, where you have said people comment on things they dont know about!!!!

Obviously you know that the Saints boys have just resigned with the cricket association for another 5 years, paying a similar ground fee to other clubs that are locked in with their respective ground owners??

Good luck to Saints and Port in the pre season, few bucks prize money to buy a drink or 2 for the lads before the year begins in earnest!!

Interested to hear what everyones perception is of a stand alone club, and evenmore so what one isnt.:)

Poiderr my opinion, and mine only, a stand alone club is a club, wherever they may be and whatever sport they are in, doesnt have to rely on being assisted, or in worst case bailed out, by the governing body, and unfortunatly the majority of Cairns AFL clubs have had to apply for this concesssion.

My associates inform me on a Friday nite out at the RSL, that there are, again unfortunatly, a few clubs in Cairns who are dependant on the governing body in supporting their cause, BUT, having said that, the MAJORITY are working their arse off to recitify this, and become stand alone, without the support of big brother, and build strong successfull clubs, to which, again, we go back to the Presidents and committes who work had to strive for this status, STAND ALONE, but it also needs a strong supporter base that assists,

That is my opinion of a stand alone club!

Watsons - What is going on with Kane's clearance, it has been denied twice.

Read the article about this weeks game in the paper, both coaches don't seem worried about the result and will look to their 'arrivals' to get some touch. Looking at Port's clearances in and their aren't many names on there, anyone eye catchers playing this week? Saints on the other hand have a few, did they play last week and if so how'd they go Lachrilly?

What other games, besides the girls... are being played at Cazaly's this weekend? Would love to see Centrals put out their full side.

Watsons - What is going on with Kane's clearance, it has been denied twice.

Read the article about this weeks game in the paper, both coaches don't seem worried about the result and will look to their 'arrivals' to get some touch. Looking at Port's clearances in and their aren't many names on there, anyone eye catchers playing this week? Saints on the other hand have a few, did they play last week and if so how'd they go Lachrilly?

What other games, besides the girls... are being played at Cazaly's this weekend? Would love to see Centrals put out their full side.

We had a couple of recruits play on saturday and showed enough in the tough conditions. I'm not in the know but i would expect at least 3 more to play this week but i cant be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back