Autopsy AFL 2024 First Semi Final - GWS V Lions Sat Sept 14th 7:30pm EST (Engie) Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • GWS by 7 - 20

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • GWS by a lot

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

In order of embarrassment:
1. The choke
2. The crowd. (hint: they do not want you)
3. The pre-game 'entertainment'

Lines of the night:
Gerard Whateley: The Giants have been napalmed!
Andy Maher: "The crowd roars their approval, or at least they would if they hadn't stayed away."

And I didn't see it and Carlton may well have been poo but I've heard that first half from the Lions last week was the best footy played by anyone all year.

They have the talent and Geelong Brisbane games over previous years have tended to be pretty close
120-49 2022 Prelim not so close.

In order of embarrassment:
1. The choke
2. The crowd. (hint: they do not want you)
3. The pre-game 'entertainment'

Lines of the night:
Gerard Whateley: The Giants have been napalmed!
Andy Maher: "The crowd roars their approval, or at least they would if they hadn't stayed away."
The pre-game 'entertainment

Was it a history lesson or telling everyone off?
LOL

Lions are one of my most preferred, but waking up I still feel gutted for the Giants. Were good enough to win the flag these past two seasons and for the most part played two solid finals. Reminds me of the Demons straights last year, with added chokes.

And I still don’t trust these 2024 Lions. Haven’t put in a four quarter performance for several weeks now, few players had poor games and they should seriously consider trading out the no longer required liabilities in Charlie & Eric given their options up forward now and players to come back. Their football brand isn’t as fully convincing as some of the other sides left in it, their avenues to goal keep saving them. We saw the 2020 & 2022 prelims and will keep our hopes very modest. Like with Port, it’s just one fortnight left to attack and hopefully bring their best for longer. Lions have now won 2 finals in each of the past three seasons which is a decent effort.

Last edited:
The problem there is, umpires cannot be awarding free kicks to make up for ones they supposedly missed, that is bordering on corruption.

If an umpire misses something they miss something, yes it sucks but sometimes the umpire cannot see everything as there are other players in front of the play blocking their view.

If that decision was a square-up, then that umpire should be sacked from the AFL, it is just not good enough to have people officiating in that manner.

I did some junior umpiring in my school days and Ian Coates, who was our umpires advisor, always drilled into us to "pay the free kicks you see, not the ones you think you see". He was very open about it saying on many occassions, "it is impossible to see every infringement that happens in a match".

The free kick against Taylor was simply inconsistent with the way that shit rule is meant to work (yes, I am a staunch opponent of that rule and want it to be rescinded and never to be seen ever again). Compounding matters was the time of the match that the officiating umpire decided to pluck out that highly controversial decision from deep inside his rear orifice.
I’ll go searching for your post when Zorko got pinged for insufficient intent in the 3rd. Doubt I’ll find it.

Could it be the umpire thought Taylor didn’t make a sufficient effort?

The time of the match shouldn’t matter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll go searching for your post when Zorko got pinged for insufficient intent in the 3rd. Doubt I’ll find it.

Could it be the umpire thought Taylor didn’t make a sufficient effort?

The time of the match shouldn’t matter

Search all you like, it won't change the fact that I goddam hate that rule !!

The problem there is, umpires cannot be awarding free kicks to make up for ones they supposedly missed, that is bordering on corruption.

If an umpire misses something they miss something, yes it sucks but sometimes the umpire cannot see everything as there are other players in front of the play blocking their view.

If that decision was a square-up, then that umpire should be sacked from the AFL, it is just not good enough to have people officiating in that manner.

I did some junior umpiring in my school days and Ian Coates, who was our umpires advisor, always drilled into us to "pay the free kicks you see, not the ones you think you see". He was very open about it saying on many occassions, "it is impossible to see every infringement that happens in a match".

The free kick against Taylor was simply inconsistent with the way that shit rule is meant to work (yes, I am a staunch opponent of that rule and want it to be rescinded and never to be seen ever again). Compounding matters was the time of the match that the officiating umpire decided to pluck out that highly controversial decision from deep inside his rear orifice.
Should be last touch like soccer.

That deliberate against Taylor was a deplorable decision.

Umpires keep ruining matches with spasmodic shit decisions.

Karma for one of the most blatant unpaid throws in AFL history 2 seconds beforehand.

'Chris Fagan should be fined for interacting with the crowd. Coaches need to be more in control of their emotions after the game. Please explain coming' - Dermott Brereton

View attachment 2111578
Cornes discussed this at the Footy Show today. Other coaches gave previously just been as emotional (or more!) as Hinkley and that is part of what makes our game interesting

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 First Semi Final - GWS V Lions Sat Sept 14th 7:30pm EST (Engie) Teams in OP

Back