Autopsy AFL 2019 Round 15: Essendon v Greater Western Sydney, 7:20pm AEST Marvel Stadium

Who will win?

• Essendon < 10 pts

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Essendon 10 - 30 pts

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Essendon > 30 pts

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Greater Western Sydney < 10 pts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Greater Western Sydney 10 - 30 pts

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Greater Western Sydney > 30 pts

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Coming 3rd at the moment. How's Freo?
Adelaide, Brisbane and west coast win, GWS goes to 4th equal with Adelaide and Brisbane depending on percentage. The top 4 could be slipping away.
Freo going alright, coming back into competitiveness this season. Ross pushing the list. Leon Cameron doesn’t really convey a lot of confidence it seems

I think the members are voting with their feet and are very unhappy with the direction the club is heading. We have High Mark memberships and several weeks ago I made the call not to attend another game whilst Worsfold is still at the club and I know plenty of others doing likewise. The only way to force change at the club is to boycott games.
Ahhh bomber fans are very good at this although only when the said coach is an outsider in knights and worsfold.
#inhirdwetrust

You have 80K+ members. Crowd tonight was 25K. Let's say 5K were Giants and neutrals. That's 20K Bombers members/fans, so 25% of your membership base.

I'm pretty sure that we get more than 25% of our membership base to home games in Melbourne. So what's your clubs excuse?
I'd point to your GWS crowd this year, but you had to sell that to Tassie because your fans don't turn up go games in Melbourne.

This has nothing to do with the Rampe controversy or Anzac Day. Against Sydney it was a single last minute decision from a very bizarre incident and an ambiguous rule.

Against us Bombers fans just embarrassed themselves getting too emotional in the dying moments of the game. If they understood the rules of the game (prior opportunity and genuine attempts - see Stephenson and Crisp decisions) there is nothing we got favoured from and actually two of their Q4 goals shouldn’t have been been allowed. Just a myth their supporter base is perpetuating.

Yesterday it was a constant effort to favour Essendon in all 50/50 decisions, combined with that terrible score review that decided not to look at the incident properly to quickly award a goal.

But I don’t believe in conspiracies and still have empathy for the umpires. I think what they try to do under pressure is take the path of ‘least controversy’ because the rule book is so convoluted. So more often than not that will favour the home crowd, and also the team with the momentum.

If I was a Giants fan I would be livid. But that’s part of the problem, there aren’t many of them.

It reminds me of their Prelim against the Dogs. I’m speaking from memory here but I remember being shocked at the umpiring in the last quarter favouring the Dogs, culminating in a missed 50m penalty which would have given the Giants a chance at getting a winning lead. If the Giants were a big club that would have had a lot more media discussion and scrutiny.

Last edited:
You have 80K+ members. Crowd tonight was 25K. Let's say 5K were Giants and neutrals. That's 20K Bombers members/fans, so 25% of your membership base.

I'm pretty sure that we get more than 25% of our membership base to home games in Melbourne. So what's your clubs excuse?
it was a work night. most Essendon supporters have jobs.

you wouldn’t understand

All warnings to get back on the mark should be 50s, yeah? Enjoy yet your tainted victory champ. I'll enjoy our valid win against your mob.

You keep telling yourself it was a valid win because gill spun it that way to avoid the embarrassment that Myers should’ve been lining up in the square.

Valid win lol

This has nothing to do with the Rampe controversy or Anzac Day. Against Sydney it was a single last minute decision from a very bizarre incident and an ambiguous rule.

Against us Bombers fans just embarrassed themselves getting too emotional in the dying moments of the game. If they understood the rules of the game (prior opportunity and genuine attempts - see Stephenson and Crisp decisions) there is nothing we got favoured from and actually two of their Q4 goals shouldn’t have been been allowed. Just a myth their supporter base is perpetuating.

Yesterday it was a constant effort to favour Essendon in all 50/50 decisions, combined with that terrible score review that decided not to look at the incident properly to quickly award a goal.

But I don’t believe in conspiracies and still have empathy for the umpires. I think what they try to do under pressure is take the path of ‘least controversy’ because the rule book is so convoluted. So more often than not that will favour the home crowd, and also the team with the momentum.

If I was a Giants fan I would be livid. But that’s part of the problem, there aren’t many of them.

It reminds me of their Prelim against the Dogs. I’m speaking from memory here but I remember being shocked at the umpiring in the last quarter favouring the Dogs, culminating in a missed 50m penalty which would have given the Giants a chance at getting a winning lead. If the Giants were a bug club that would have had a lot more media discussion and scrutiny.
Hahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahaha

Collingwood got a massive run against us in the last quarter. At least we acknowledge the rub of the green we got because it’s unusual for us to get it. An isolated incident. Collingwood get favourable umpiring almost every game so I guess I can see why you’re trying to defend it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahaha

Collingwood got a massive run against us in the last quarter. At least we acknowledge the rub of the green we got because it’s unusual for us to get it. An isolated incident. Collingwood get favourable umpiring almost every game so I guess I can see why you’re trying to defend it.

Nope. Go and watch that last quarter again with a cooler head and watch your goals in it very closely.

Hahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahaha

Maybe one of us should make a video and put it on YouTube illustrating how all the calls were correct
If one of us is sad enough to
I'll just be happy with the 4 points and cede the moral high ground
Giants got screwed

Just a question... something I've been thinking about since this game ended...

Why haven't they put Hooker up forward earlier? He was the one that basically won them the game, and they look very dangerous with him in that part of the ground. He was playing forward a couple of years ago and played really well. They have had problems scoring all season, and I feel that if they had of tried something like this earlier in the season, they could have won a few of those close games they lost..?

And... if they overturn that goal, they fizzle out A) The highest octane goal of the season B) the pinnacle moment of the journeyman McKernan's career and C) The most exciting quarter of football played this year.

That quarter of football was truly electrifying. It was a quarter of footy that shows off what this game is all about. The Mckernan goal and the Hooker goal were unbelievable. And rather than celebrate Shaun McKernan playing like he is Wayne Carey the 2nd... the first story on the AFL website is headlined "Essendon win in controversial circumstances" followed by "was this ball touched". FFS.. just celebrate the man that kicked the freakin goal and gave his heart and guts to get this win! This night should be about McKernan... playing the best game he has ever played.

I love everything about this post! And from a Collingwood supporter no less. I was at the game last night sitting a few rows back behind the goals where Hooker took that mark. Was electric.

Hate to bring up Collingwood in this example, but it was the same on Anzac Day. The story was not about a close finish to a great game, or about some poor umpiring decisions late.... it was about a bloke getting booed when it was clearly booing the result due to view of poor umpiring as opposed to a legend of a player who was on the podium at the time. Why do the pick the negative every time?? Ahh the media. Negative sells better I guess, but yah don't like it.

Am I really seeing a North supporter calling out Essendon on crowd attendance!?!? :D:D:D:D:D:D

Just a question... something I've been thinking about since this game ended...

Why haven't they put Hooker up forward earlier? He was the one that basically won them the game, and they look very dangerous with him in that part of the ground. He was playing forward a couple of years ago and played really well. They have had problems scoring all season, and I feel that if they had of tried something like this earlier in the season, they could have won a few of those close games they lost..?
Same reason it took us an age to play Darcy parish as an onballer.
Or Francis as a defender (freeing hooker to play forward).
Or Dylan Clarke as an inside mid/run with player

Our selection committee have the creativity of a rock.
Hooker has been in great form as a defender all year.
But he's capable of being a strong FF in the absence of daniher

And it wasn't a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. We have a lot of depth in defence

Hurley, Ambrose and Francis with hooker forward would have sufficed
Possibly won us an extra game or two too

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2019 Round 15: Essendon v Greater Western Sydney, 7:20pm AEST Marvel Stadium

Back