Mega Thread Adam Goodes: Confirmed racial slur by fan, apology made and accepted

Remove this Banner Ad

I have never said it was. I would never endorse any supporter abusing any participant at the football, including umpires. I've never done it and tbh, I don't even understand the purpose of someone doing this.

I just feel that the branding of this girl as a racist might just be well off the track.

Fair enough.

I think Goodes' reaction is completely justified and welcome, whether she was intentionally racist or not. Her intention was at least to humiliate and it had nothing to do with football. She was successful and I have no sympathy for her. She's old enough to know better.

LMAO at the people defending this girl

Obviously a very distressing incident and very hurtful to Adam Goodes and all indigenous players. Most comment has been fair and balanced, with the emphasis on more education for a 13 year old girl and the wider community. This is the appropriate approach

Unfortunately there are also some neandarthals from the Dickensian era posting on this thread. The same sort of self righteous judgemental vermin who would hang a child, or at the very least transport them to the colonies for life for stealing a loaf of bread. FFS she is 13, her comments whilst unsavoury and racist are nowhere near the level of some of the other racist incidents which have been perpetrated this season by adults.

Yet I do not recall anywhere near the level of condemnation, hatred and media focus directed against these adults as has been directed against this misguided young girl. About time you pitiful paragons of piety had a look in the mirror and recalled some of the idiotic and hurtful things you did as a child. I doubt if many of you sanctimonious morons would measure up too well.

I sort of get where you are coming from, and I don't know your background, but there is a clear difference between calling Gehrig an ape and Goodes an ape, because people of Goodes colour collectively have been subjected to that type of taunt for years in one form or another ...

The difference does not necessarily reside in intent though. I am not scared to say both these guys look kinda ape-like to me. And from the point of intent, that comment reflects no differently upon Goodes as it does Gehrig. The difference, as you've noted, lies mostly in the minds of those who carry this history with them, either as witness to, learned of, or unfortunately, subject to such abuse. I just think those who've taken offense need to see this with a clearer lens.

Could well be but are you assuming this because she's quite young? because when i was her age kids would use the term "ape" knowing exactly the negative connotations of the comment.

I am not assuming anything. As I have made clear I am not claiming to know the girl's intent. In fact, I am advocating a lack of assumption be adopted by all persons in relation to this incident. I'm just saying I can see that it is possible this could have been made far more innocently than what people have taken it as.

She made a mistake. She apologised. It's like this is the biggest thing in the world. It's not like anyone on here hasn't done something stupid. Let's move on and learn from it. There are bigger problems in the world to worry about.......... 16,000 kids die from starvation everyday (when there is enough food in the world to feed everyone). I would have thought something like this would be more shocking.

The difference does not necessarily reside in intent though. I am not scared to say both these guys look kinda ape-like to me. And from the point of intent, that comment reflects no differently upon Goodes as it does Gehrig. The difference, as you've noted, lies mostly in the minds of those who carry this history with them, either as witness to, learned of, or unfortunately, subject to such abuse. I just think those who've taken offense need to see this with a clearer lens.

I do understand what you are saying but I think it is the people that have not been subject to such abuse that need to look at the situation with a clearer lens. I do not think the girl was trying to racially abuse Goodes, but it is an excellent lesson to everyone that when you say something, you need to think about how it will be received, not your intent. It is called empathy.

Eddie Maguire should hang his head in shame.

This is not the first time Goodes has been abused by one of your supporters. He has been called many other offensive words like black **** by Collingwood supporters. You can find them on youtube.

Your feral backward club will never learn. Morons

Mate you don't have to be Einstein to realize that people use racist remarks in the crowd all the time. Im not one of those, I wouldn't even consider it. So don't sit there painting one entire club as racist on the basis of a 14 year old girl calling a player an ape.

Everitt was well known for a racist incident on field whilst at St Kilda against Chisolm. Does this mean all saints players back then were racist ? no , it means that one bad egg had made a fool of himself.

This was somewhat 6 years after the Winmar incident also. So before you sit here telling me all pies supporters are racist , take a look at your own club and use your same reasoning for your club being racist, as you are right now for pies supporters being racist. Illogical isn't it ?

I am not assuming anything. As I have made clear I am not claiming to know the girl's intent. In fact, I am advocating a lack of assumption be adopted by all persons in relation to this incident. I'm just saying I can see that it is possible this could have been made far more innocently than what people have taken it as.

Goodes admitted as such but it doesn't change that he has a right to respond the way he does and that in general its disappointing that there are still such ignorant people around.

She made a mistake. She apologised. It's like this is the biggest thing in the world. It's not like anyone on here hasn't done something stupid. Let's move on and learn from it. There are bigger problems in the world to worry about.......... 16,000 kids die from starvation everyday (when there is enough food in the world to feed everyone). I would have thought something like this would be more shocking.
I think the problem is that some still don't get it, and in this girl's case, the parents clearly aren't doing a good enough job educating her.

Obviously a very distressing incident and very hurtful to Adam Goodes and all indigenous players. Most comment has been fair and balanced, with the emphasis on more education for a 13 year old girl and the wider community. This is the appropriate approach

Unfortunately there are also some neandarthals from the Dickensian era posting on this thread. The same sort of self righteous judgemental vermin who would hang a child, or at the very least transport them to the colonies for life for stealing a loaf of bread. FFS she is 13, her comments whilst unsavoury and racist are nowhere near the level of some of the other racist incidents which have been perpetrated this season by adults.

Yet I do not recall anywhere near the level of condemnation and hatred directed against these adults as has been directed against this misguided young girl. About time you pitiful paragons of piety had a look in the mirror and recalled some of the idiotic and hurtful things you did as a child.
I have no gripes with the girl, it would be stupid to label her a racist because she is fairly young. I just find it funny that some people think that calling someone like Adam Goodes an Ape is justified because he might resemble an Ape and dismissing the negative connotations of the comment.

I've seen plenty of 13 year olds use the word in a racist way so to say she didn't mean it in a racist way is plain daft.

Doubt it, 13 year olds aren't that stupid.

disgusted by the amount of racism in this thread. Referring to the aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as "indigenous australians" is an outdated term and causes them offense, and carries connotations of being treated like the native 'flora and fauna' when the white devils first began to plunder this great land. This is why the 'department of indigenous affairs' no longer exists. Please ban those who have referred to the aboriginal people as indigenous australians!
Yeah, because its only the "white devils" like us who are racist. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie Maguire should hang his head in shame.

This is not the first time Goodes has been abused by one of your supporters. He has been called many other offensive words like black **** by Collingwood supporters. You can find them on youtube.

Your feral backward club will never learn. Morons

Why ?

He has no control on what 50k people yell at the footy. I think he handled it brilliantly, got on the front footy straight away, instigated the phone call and within 24hrs it's put to bed.

Let's hope the media give the young girl some privacy, we know the pack like mentality they posses.

Fair enough.

I think Goodes' reaction is completely justified and welcome, whether she was intentionally racist or not.

If he wants to make a big deal out of feeling hurt and humiliated that's his right. I just don't like seeing those comments being automatically linked to the intent of racism.

As I touched on before, Acker once said something about "paying peanuts" and got ambushed. Sometimes offense is all in the eyes of the beholder.

?????

Yeah, because white people in Australia have been persecuted for centuries and had to have a referendum in 1967 to include their entire race as official Australians.

Let get this straight Goodes was not alive in 67, i was not around for the stolen generation. I never whip or ran anyone of a cliff. So don't give me this shit, it's in the pass. Goodes was grand standing and he made a fool out of him self.

My Grandmother landed here and was treated like a dog and called names, you know what my family did? Got jobs work like dogs day and night and now the same people who called them names work for them. They didn't carry on like a 2 bob watch over someone else's stupidity.

All this is, is a child did something stupid and a grown man wanted to make a point and make a big deal out of something stupid. If this little girl harms her self i hope Goodes takes a look in the mirror and says to him self this is on me all coz i wanted to be the big **** on the day.

I have no gripes with the girl, it would be stupid to label her a racist because she is fairly young. I just find it funny that some people think that calling someone like Adam Goodes an Ape is justified because he might resemble an Ape and dismissing the negative connotations of the comment.

I've seen plenty of 13 year olds use the word in a racist way so to say she didn't mean it in a racist way is plain daft.

I agree that you and I would recognise it as a racial slur. Some 13 year olds may recognise it as a racial slur, but I reckon heaps of them would not. She may have, but again she may also have used it as a hurtful attack. I don't know what her intent was. What I find offensive is the disproportionate level of hatred directed against this child ( not by you ). As I said in my previous post, adults have said far worse racial taunts this season, but have escaped relatively unscathed.

If someone leaned over the fence and called Riewoldt a Llama is that racist?

Can you explain how that might be offensive to Nick?

Plenty of people have taken the time to explain why calling Goodes an ape is/was. Obviously you missed all of that.

Another hypothetical: is calling a moron a moron racist?

Obviously what the young girl said to Goodes hurt him, he has stated that, and his interview was spot on. This isn't about Collingwood or the AFL, it's about educating people about racism, it's not acceptable anymore and shouldn't be an issue but clearly is. He says he was shocked to turn around and see a young girl sitting there. To be honest, I'm not that shocked at all because as we all know, the young generation today is pretty poor and I have seen many young 13-14 year old girls and boys do things that are a disgrace.

The St Kilda Football Club formally thank Adam Goodes for pointing out a 13 year old girl with loose morals

Seriously - well done by Eddie in getting on the front foot. Made it absolutely clear there is no room for racism in the AFL

All this is, is a child did something stupid and a grown man wanted to make a point and make a big deal out of something stupid. If this little girl harms her self i hope Goodes takes a look in the mirror and says to him self this is on me all coz i wanted to be the big **** on the day.

Agreed. There are highly effective ways to make a stand against and educate people about racism. This was NOT one of them. This is a classic case of a punishment far exceeding the crime.

I've already addressed how history is implicated in this situation. Not sure how it makes me wrong though.

You're wrong because you're approaching the situation with logic, instead of emotion.

You should be joining the mob in immediately shaming this little girl despite not having the full facts. Any attempt to look at the situation impartially and attempt to judge it on its merits instead of screaming RACIST instantly renders you a bigot.

Sorry, it's been that way for quite some time now.

Obviously what the young girl said to Goodes hurt him, he has stated that, and his interview was spot on. This isn't about Collingwood or the AFL, it's about educating people about racism, it's not acceptable anymore and shouldn't be an issue but clearly is. He says he was shocked to turn around and see a young girl sitting there. To be honest, I'm not that shocked at all because as we all know, the young generation today is pretty poor and I have seen many young 13-14 year old girls and boys do things that are a disgrace.
Because of past generations and their behaviour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Adam Goodes: Confirmed racial slur by fan, apology made and accepted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back