NO TROLLS Aboriginal names for AFL clubs

Do you like the idea of giving Aboriginal names to clubs?

• Yes

Votes: 74 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 100 57.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a nation, a nationality, basically an ethnicity depending on how pedantic you are.

Not that I'm backing down, but at the very least you calling Aust a racist country is still attaching a negative connotation to a group of people, something you should be very against due to your stance on racism.
Everyone knows Australia is a racist country. We have racist people elected to government like Pauline Hanson.

Always been really really strange to me that people get up in arms about the statement Australia is a racist country. We have systems and infrastructure in place based on colonialism that disadvantages (in some cases extremely so) non whites.

Education, justice, health for a start.

That would seem to make us very much a racist country. Now that’s not calling me specifically a racist so the statement is true and it doesn’t make me a racist so why is it so controversial.

Right so if a sample of a subsection of people are something its ok to be prejudice to the whole subsection?

The statement Australia is a racist country does not mean every Australian is racist. Australia has been built on racist principles. Australians can be very accepting of minorities until they deem that those minorities do not know their place. Australians are incredibly racist against Aboriginals.

The statement Australia is a racist country does not mean every Australian is racist. Australia has been built on racist principles. Australians can be very accepting of minorities until they deem that those minorities do not know their place. Australians are incredibly racist against Aboriginals.
Ok so how would you classify it if I said Indigenous are a thieving race, as it does not mean every Indigenous is a thief.

Negative connotation + country/race/ethnicity = racist.

Australia is a racist country = racist
Aboriginals are a theiving race = racist
India is a bath dodging country = racist
Scotland is an alcoholic country = racist

So you're saying Aust can be accepting or those minorities until they dont know their place. Does that include minorities being not accepting to other minorities who dont know their place? Or is it just the white caucasian majority you are referring to but hiding behind 'Australia'?

I'm not arguing there isnt any truth or not to the statement 'Aust is a racist country'.

I am just pointing it out for what it is plus the hypocrisy that comes with using negative connotation for a group of people.

Ok so how would you classify it if I said Indigenous are a thieving race, as it does not mean every Indigenous is a thief.

So you're saying Aust can be accepting or those minorities until they dont know their place. Does that include minorities being not accepting to other minorities who dont know their place? Or is it just the white caucasian majority you are referring to but hiding behind 'Australia'?
Time stop posting nonsense mate.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We know that Australia is full of racist people so why would you argue otherwise?
So your first point is utter rubbish and embarrassing.
As I've already said I'm not arguing the truth or not to it. I'm just pointing out you are doing something you claim to be against.

Your failure to answer shows how you know you're being hypocritical.

We know that prisons are full of thieving Aboriginals so why would you argue otherwise?

We know that India is full of stinky people so why would you argue otherwise?

We know that Scotland is full of drunks so why would you argue otherwise?

Do you notice how 3 of those statements refer to a country (or at least the vast majority of a countries inhabitants) and one refers to a minority race within a country?

As I've already said I'm not arguing the truth or not to it. I'm just pointing out you are doing something you claim to be against.

Your failure to answer shows how you know you're being hypocritical.

We know that prisons are full of thieving Aboriginals so why would you argue otherwise?

We know that India is full of stinky people so why would you argue otherwise?

We know that Scotland is full of drunks so why would you argue otherwise?

You should know then that the prisons are not full of thieving Aboriginals because so many have died in custody.

Do you notice how 3 of those statements refer to a country (or at least the vast majority of a countries inhabitants) and one refers to a minority race within a country?
A nation is an ethnic group with ethnicity being in definition of racism. At worst nationalism is still very closely linked to race.

Ah the old 'if you're in the majority you can't be a victim of racism.'

I could just change the wording to:

Lets place ourselves in Melbourne CBD. Indians are making it stink. Is that ok?

Lets place ourselves in Melbourne at an Irish bar. The Irish are drunks. Is that ok?

Lets place ourselves in India at a cricket game. Aussies are racist. Is that ok?

A nation is an ethnic group with ethnicity being in definition of racism. At worst nationalism is still very closely linked to race.

Ah the old 'if you're in the majority you can't be a victim of racism.'

I could just change the wording to:

Lets place ourselves in Melbourne CBD. Indians are making it stink. Is that ok?

Lets place ourselves in Melbourne at an Irish bar. The Irish are drunks. Is that ok?

Lets place ourselves in India at a cricket game. Aussies are racist. Is that ok?
I mean you just continue to make broad sweeping statements based on racial stereotypes. Your commentary on the nationalism/race/country thing is extremely confused too (not confusing, I see what you’re doing, confused as in you don’t really understand them).

I also never said that the majority couldn’t be subjected to racism, I made the point that 1 of your 4 examples was related to a racial/ethnic minority and the other 3 were related to a majority/country.

If we’re really gonna try to argue that the impact of racism is equal across a racial majority in the country that they are the majority in is the same as when they are a minority then I think you’re a moron.

Finally the real issue you seem to have with the “Australia is a racist country” comment comes in your second last statement.

“Aussies are racist”, your wording, not at all the original statement of “Australia is a racist country”.

Unless you represent the entire country, all levels of government and public service and infrastructure then the comment isn’t directed at you. Plenty (and I do mean plenty) of Australians are racist to varying degrees, you seem to be at best ignorant about the subject.

The racist country thing is generally just hyperbolic rubbish used for self serving political purposes often from a position of ignorance.

It's not the 1980/90s anymore.
It’s absolutely better than it was but you reckon people dudnt say “it’s not the 1960s anymore” in the 80s and 90s?

Progress is great but it’s not the finished product

Back