A-League A-League Men Round 1 - Kicking Off The 20th Season Of Our Beautiful Chaotic League

A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
A-league Round 1 we are back and this season we are Celebrating the 20th anniversary of the A-League who would have thought that we would have reached 20 season the way the league has been run in recent year but here we are and loving it! What a way to kick off the season with a replay of last seasons Grand Final between the Central Coast Mariners V Melbourne Victory on Friday night. Than on Saturday afternoon we welcome the newest club to the A-League family when Auckland FC play their inaugural match against Brisbane Roar. Saturday night is the big one the Sydney Derby between the Western Sydney Wanders V Sydney FC sure to start the season with some sparks! arrr its good to have the A-League back and looking forward to the season ahead and celebrating 20 seasons of the A-League.

A-League Men Round 1

Friday 18th October

Central Coast Mariners V Melbourne Victory 7:35pm ESDT, Industree Group Stadium

Saturday 19th October
Auckland FC V Brisbane Roar 3:00pm ESDT, 2:00pm EST, 5:00pm NZLT Go Media Stadium
Newcastle Jets V Melbourne City 5:00pm ESDT, McDonald Jones Stadium (Live on 10 Bold, Check local guides)
Western Sydney Wanderers V Sydney F.C 7:35pm ESDT, CommBank Stadium (Live on 10 Bold, Check local guides)

Sunday 20th October
Wellington Phoenix V Western United 2:00pm ESDT, 4:00pm NZLT, Sky Stadium
Macarthur F.C V Perth Glory 4:00pm ESDT 1:00pm WST, Campbelltown Sports stadium

Bye: Adelaide United

Predictions: CCM V Vic 1-1 Auck 2-0 City 1-0 WSW V Syd 1-1 Nix 3-1 Mac 2-0

Enjoy the football this weekend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What exactly are Macarthur doing to engage the community and build up their fan base? They should be following the Mariners model really.

Starting the club when we were in lockdowns and fans couldn't attend really was a mistake IMO. Stopped the community building a connection with the club and they've struggled to make an imprint since.

If they don't improve I actually would like their license given to Illawarra.

My crowd predictions

CC vs Victory 10k
Auckland vs Roar 24k
Newcastle vs Melbourne City 6.5k
WSW vs Sydney FC 30k
Phoenix vs WU 9k
Macarthur vs Glory 5k
Seems optimistic? Last time I watched their home game they had little more than the ball boys, cameramen, and some family in the crowd. Little more

With the decline in FFA funds this year, those crowds are going to need to be sustained all year to remain viable.

They should have given the license to Illawarra in the first place instead of another not needed team in Sydney.

Agreed. Although had such a club started during lockdowns I believe they would have faced the same issues as Macarthur did.

Behind the scenes I would hope that the APL are telling Macarthur that they've got 2 seasons max to establish themselves and that a failure to do so sees their license handed over to Illawarra..

Agreed. Although had such a club started during lockdowns I believe they would have faced the same issues as Macarthur did.

Behind the scenes I would hope that the APL are telling Macarthur that they've got 2 seasons max to establish themselves and that a failure to do so sees their license handed over to Illawarra..

Can't just point the finger at Macarthur, Western United haven't exactly set the league on fire with fans poring in to watch them play either and they've won a Championship! Both those expansion clubs where a mistake placed in the wrong market at the wrong time nothing to do with COVID yes it didn't help at the time but I doubt either club would be fairing any better if COVID never hit. The FFA at the time were misguided by Fox the broadcaster who advised them that derbies are the way to go and will bring the highest ratings therefore a bigger TV deal and the biggest markets for derbies are Sydney and Melbourne, so the theory goes. Fox then pulled one over the APL and the FFA by backed out of the next TV deal in fact offered a ridiculously low price. It's like football in this country never learns being dictated by broadcasters then getting screwed.

Can't just point the finger at Macarthur, Western United haven't exactly set the league on fire with fans poring in to watch them play either and they've won a Championship! Both those expansion clubs where a mistake placed in the wrong market at the wrong time nothing to do with COVID yes it didn't help at the time but I doubt either club would be fairing any better if COVID never hit. The FFA at the time were misguided by Fox the broadcaster who advised them that derbies are the way to go and will bring the highest ratings therefore a bigger TV deal and the biggest markets for derbies are Sydney and Melbourne, so the theory goes. Fox then pulled one over the APL and the FFA by backed out of the next TV deal in fact offered a ridiculously low price. It's like football in this country never learns being dictated by broadcasters then getting screwed.

WU haven't had a home ground until now, they deserve more leeway.

MacArthur had a ready to go home ground from day one right in the heart of their community with good transport links.

WU haven't had a home ground until now, they deserve more leeway.

MacArthur had a ready to go home ground from day one right in the heart of their community with good transport links.
I understand that. my point being, it was the wrong time and the wrong place to make that next expansion into the two biggest markets just for the sake of derbies. Now both clubs are pretty much always playing catch up. I think they will be fine in the long run both areas are growth corridors, just got to keep a presence in the communities and hit the kids moving into the areas. by all reports WU are doing a great job at that. Not sure about Macarthur.

I understand that. my point being, it was the wrong time and the wrong place to make that next expansion into the two biggest markets just for the sake of derbies. Now both clubs are pretty much always playing catch up. I think they will be fine in the long run both areas are growth corridors, just got to keep a presence in the communities and hit the kids moving into the areas. by all reports WU are doing a great job at that. Not sure about Macarthur.

Maybe WU will be known as Red Bull Tarneit FC soon.....

Remove this Banner Ad

A-League A-League Men Round 1 - Kicking Off The 20th Season Of Our Beautiful Chaotic League

Remove this Banner Ad

Back