Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Lloyd has won Skiltons. How many times has Hayward made top 10 in the BnF. He has never played better than a 16-28 player.

yeah, he did ... not sure we were as good a side when he did, and he's not the same player now
hayward is a frustrating player, but at his best a more important player than lloyd in this team
we would miss him if he were gone ... i don't think we'd miss lloyd at all these days

To the people who would rather Hayward left; Who would be your preferential replacement?
There's a few options. But noting I don't want him to leave, I just think it comes down to priorities and how much we would pay / get.

Keep Fox up forward, Mills goes to defence on his return. Use one of our (potentially 3) first rounders on the best medium forward, or package up to go higher if we need. Fox not a noted goal kicker, but probably creates more for others.

Use Mills in the role, at least part-time, if he's not needed elsewhere. He's a decent set shot, would be Hayward's equal if not better at workrate, in the air. He can push up the ground as an outlet. Can spell Heeney in the mids, who can then do the role.

Campbell. Loses out in the air, but Hayward's impact in contested marking, spoiling opponents is a bit overstated by some anyway. Better kick, was noted for his forward work, leading prior to drafting.

I'd also give Magor the role in reserves if it looks like Hayward's wavering. He was drafted as a bag-kicking medium forward, but we were so terrible last year we moved him around.

Last edited:
There's a few options. But noting I don't want him to leave, I just think it comes down to priorities and how much we would pay / get.

Keep Fox up forward, Mills goes to defence on his return. Use one of our (potentially 3) first rounders on the best medium forward, or package up to go higher if we need. Fox not a noted goal kicker, but probably creates more for others.

Use Mills in the role, at least part-time, if he's not needed elsewhere. He's a decent set shot, would be Hayward's equal if not better at workrate, in the air. He can push up the ground as an outlet. Can spell Heeney in the mids, who can then do the role.

Campbell. Loses out in the air, but Hayward's impact in contested marking, spoiling opponents is a bit overstated by some anyway. Better kick, was noted for his forward work, leading prior to drafting.

I'd also give Magor the role in reserves if it looks like Hayward's wavering. He was drafted as a bag-kicking medium forward, but we were so terrible last year we moved him around.

On the flip side

No one's going to do us any favours moving up for some gun forward prospect especially.

Not sure Fox creates more for others when he creates less in general

Mills just had a shoulder reconstruction. His overhead ability atm is 0. He's going to need a full recovery and confidence in his overhead ability for forward or defence postings. Likely he's not the same contested mark he once was

Magor is half back in reserves atm I think

Campbell has no overhead ability

This isn't a situation we want to be in over 200 k p.a or whatever imo

I agree with most of that.

I don't agree about Magor for a few reasons. First, I don't rate Magor as high as quite a few other ressies watchers. He seems like another Lachie Rankin to me (but maybe with a bit more upside). Second, my main problem with Magor is his accountability and the amount of pressure he applies defensively - that is not something we can afford to forego in our forward 50. Third, I had a chat with Magor a few weeks ago and, to my surprise, he said he is enjoying (and prefers) playing at half-back. [When I made a comment about his locking down he laughed and acknowledged accountability defensively was something he needs to improve.] (I confess I'm as surprised as anyone that Magor has settled down back - I thought his worth was in his ability to create goals. Maybe it speaks to the fact that these days defenders are the attacking ones and forwards are more defensive.)

... I had a chat with Magor a few weeks ago and, to my surprise, he said he is enjoying (and prefers) playing at half-back. [When I made a comment about his locking down he laughed and acknowledged accountability defensively was something he needs to improve.]
Love these insights from your convos with players/staff, thanks Callipygian :thumbsu:

I hope we do give Magor a run up fwd soon.
On admittedly very limited viewing, prior to his draft he looked like a dynamic fwd, who made things happen.
Down back in the reserves IMO he looks adequate, which I'm not sure is the template for a long AFL career.

Today's Gettable had a bit of a discussion on Will, as Riley thinks we may end up re-siging Will, Ollie and Logan.

Cal not so sure, thinks Will may be the one that doesn't sign as the offers will be "too strong" for him to not consider, with Crows, Port, Carlton, Demons, and multiple others all chasing him.

I'd rather keep him as well. But if the reports are true that he is in our top-10 earners, then he would be the first player I'd be willing to sacrifice if it gave us a better chance at securing players coming out of contract (and deserve a paybump) over the coming years, haha.

Besides that, if there are multiple clubs interested in securing him for their side, and we play him week-in, week-out, then it seems obvious those in AFL circles know what he brings to a/our side.

I asked the question, because the alternatives may not always end up being the better solution when you take in all the relevant metrics to his specific role.

My 2p.

I'd rather keep him as well. But if the reports are true that he is in our top-10 earners, then he would be the first player I'd be willing to sacrifice if it gave us a better chance at securing players coming out of contract (and deserve a paybump) over the coming years, haha.

Besides that, if there are multiple clubs interested in securing him for their side, and we play him week-in, week-out, then it seems obvious those in AFL circles know what he brings to a/our side.

I asked the question, because the alternatives may not always end up being the better solution when you take in all the relevant metrics to his specific role.

My 2p.

There's always trade offs, no 2 players are exactly alike. I think there's some that give us improvements over Hayward, while being worse in some areas.

I've mentioned it a few places. Hayward is Top 10 this year, that is the only thing we know. It doesn't tell us if he is Top 10 over several years or would ask for a wage (average) over his next contract that would put him in the Top 10 in that time. I don't think RFA status cares about back ended deals or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah, he did ... not sure we were as good a side when he did, and he's not the same player now
hayward is a frustrating player, but at his best a more important player than lloyd in this team
we would miss him if he were gone ... i don't think we'd miss lloyd at all these days
We built our exits around Lloyd after Mal and Shaw finished up. He was crucial at that point, despite not being a very good defender. Since then we have built better exits around other players so that he can play on the wing again without damaging us. Roberts has overtaken him as a defender.
He can compete for a wing spot.

Anyone but the Crows.
He is a St Peters old boy though... If there's anything I know about Adelaide it's that the private school loyalty & networks remain very strong into adulthood & beyond.

He'd fit into the Crows too. Plays their style & they're in desperate need of someone to help fill a Rory & Tex sized hole in the coming seasons...

Will Hayward isn't a contest mark, he's much more ground level, and more lead up or pressure.

I get that people like him, and he's best 22, but when I look at the side, he's the only best 22 player that I would be OK about leaving. You never want people to leave, but Adams left a grandfinal side, it happens, you just have to balance the books.

Will Hayward isn't a contest mark, he's much more ground level, and more lead up or pressure.

I get that people like him, and he's best 22, but when I look at the side, he's the only best 22 player that I would be OK about leaving. You never want people to leave, but Adams left a grandfinal side, it happens, you just have to balance the books.
He may not be an elite contested mark (there are very few who are) but he is very good above his head.

Fritsch every day of the week, despite the punchable nature of his face.
Doubt we'd get him though.
Same position but play completely different roles. The fritter doesn't like getting his sleeves dirty. Although i rekn our mids would have a field day picking him out the back, would probably win a coleman.

Closest comparison and really the only one I can think of is Ollie Henry. I rate him really high too, bit more of a consistent and more aggressive version of hayward. Hayward comes in second, and then daylight before the rest of the comp.

The only other positionally 'similar' player who isn't too bad and would be gettable due to out of contract is Bailey Banfield.

Fritsch every day of the week, despite the punchable nature of his face.
Doubt we'd get him though.
Fritsch would be great, but like you say; unattainable.

I'm guessing, if we lose Hayward, the replacement is going to be someone that can't get a look in at another club a-la Francis, Hamling, etc. Or maybe it comes from someone already on the list. Who knows? I can't see it being an A-grader like JUH, Fritsch, etc. I guess that's what I was getting at when I was saying the alternatives may not be the better solution.

Same position but play completely different roles. The fritter doesn't like getting his sleeves dirty. Although i rekn our mids would have a field day picking him out the back, would probably win a coleman.

Closest comparison and really the only one I can think of is Ollie Henry. I rate him really high too, bit more of a consistent and more aggressive version of hayward. Hayward comes in second, and then daylight before the rest of the comp.

The only other positionally 'similar' player who isn't too bad and would be gettable due to out of contract is Bailey Banfield.

I'd have Banfield. But I don't think he's gettable without paying massive overs.

I'd prefer to keep him because he's a good player, but only at the right price. If other teams are dangling large contracts in front of him then I'm sure we can replace him without a huge impact to the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back