Player Watch #6 Logan McDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

Being stronger in the air and having more physical presence is a fair and reasonable expectation for a kpf of his hype. You can't tell me he is being instructed to hold back.

No one is doubting the other strengths in his game which he is currently displaying

that's not true, several posters are very much doubting mcdonald
one of the regulars gave your post a thumbs-up, but then he's arguably the most miserable swans "fan" i've ever encountered

I'm actually interested how this is calculated. He's taken multiple 1v1 or pack marks this near. Not a huge amount, but more than one.
From Champion Data's website

One-On-One Contest: A 50-50 contest that occurs after a kick, and involves only two players – a target player and a defender. Each player must have a reasonable chance to win the ball in order for a one-on-one to be recorded. Winning and losing percentages refer to how often a player wins the ball or concedes a possession to his opponent. A neutral result is recorded when the ball is spoiled or results in a stoppage.

i don't mean to be disrespectful, you're entitled to your opinion on mcdonald ... but assuming he re-signs with the swans, i suspect you and many others are already going to be criticising whatever big-money deal he accepts
but in my argument i'll use the example of heeney: if you go back over the past 4-5 years you'll find hundreds of posts on this board voicing anger and frustration at heeney, and insisting he was never worth whatever money he was guesstimated to be on, and in fact many posters were willing to see him leave the club
i concede he took longer to get to the season he's having now than most would've liked, but can you imagine the outrage now on this board had heeney been allowed to leave, and we were now watching him in other colours!?
mcdonald is still learning and still growing ... he's ours and i want it to stay that way

ive primarily been pro logan but i just dont think his output is strong enough at the moment

ive stopped posting about it the past few weeks because people were sick of me bringing it up all the time and we were winning big

anyway i just threw that statistic in there as i heard it on the radio and it was an interesting discussion point

if we werent winning every game, there would be a lot more attention thrown to our forward line and ill leave it at that

ive primarily been pro logan but i just dont think his output is strong enough at the moment

ive stopped posting about it the past few weeks because people were sick of me bringing it up all the time and we were winning big

anyway i just threw that statistic in there as i heard it on the radio and it was an interesting discussion point

if we werent winning every game, there would be a lot more attention thrown to our forward line and ill leave it at that
You should post whatever you want, however much you want. No one has to read anything they don't want to.

Re McDonald's 1v1 record, I just think that's not really the right criteria to judge him on. It'd sorta be like judging Gulden for his tackles, or Grundy for his marks inside 50. It's something that should be in their arsenal, but it's not the thing that makes them dangerous, or a great player.

For me, McDonald clunking marks over his opponent doesn't feel like an important part of his game at the moment. Working up and down the ground, presenting leads, at least halving contests and then being involved in the subsequent follow-up and ground ball all feel more important to me to a good McDonald game than him being a commanding, physical tall.

I would also guess that because of this mobility & movement > physicality style of play, his early years have been spent developing his aerobic capacity and basic skills. It's very possible that once he has properly developed this side of his game, he can start to focus on adding size and muscle to his frame, and then using it.

Worth remembering he is three years behind Amartey and four behind McLean...

Doubled his 1v1 wins today :thumbsu:

Also another trademark flick assist.

Found it interesting he was used as a second ruck early on even with McLean on the field. Wonder if that was to get him more involved?

Found it interesting he was used as a second ruck early on even with McLean on the field. Wonder if that was to get him more involved?

Also had a other contested marks, that was given to McLean who received a free.

I thought Logan was good in the conditions today, mature performance.

Logan's flick assist to Adams

He is an excellent decision maker and hardly ever wastes a possession. Still has heaps of upside as he gets stronger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it a big risk for Logan to ruck, in particular, centre bounces, or just getting him involved, or is Hayden carrying a small injury.

Or is it a practical solution to use a player who will be leaving the club, and therefore, the risk is lower as he would likely lose the rest of 2024 for us and all of 2025 for somewhere else?

Nasty or a possible reality?

The contract talk is ice cold. Punts!

Remember, play the ball.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

I don’t think we would get wc first round that’s for sure

Freo have seen to gone cold?

I wouldn't trade him so this is all hypothetical for starters, but let's say he says I am off.

Presume it would be for $ so then they would pay to secure him rather than risk him going to Norf or Richmond etc in the draft. Probably would be first rounder for sure ? I mean look how many times we signed Reid on big contracts, big guys get it.

Because surely he wouldn't ask for a trade to a WA team that offered him a small deal, and if they value him they go get him.

Mentioned I like ‘roaming Logan’ … now does he (or could he) have a big enough tank to play all around the ground, a bit like Goodesy? Even if he can get to 25% Goodesy level, we’ll have one heck of a player 👍😍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back