Past #6: Lachlan Hansen - pick 3 '06 - 151 NM games - NM life member - thanks Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm Hansen obsessed. I love the big Lachie. I'd be happy if he was forward too, but I think he's our fix down in defence. He could do anything really. He's been doing a whole lot of wandering around or being injured for years now, and it's time he stayed somewhere.

It's time he destroyed the spud-packed forward lines that haunt us and undo our hard work elsewhere. Lachie is the man.

And the goals for us? They will come. We have Drew, Taz, LT, Black, Boomer, Harper..Daw maybe.. Wright should go forward too. But that's a story for another day.

Have you seen Hansen play or are you just sticking up for a bloke because you love him?

Black as talented, if not more talented than Hansen... and can kick and mark. Hansen might be abel to run (which is good) but if you can't mark or kick straight your no good in the forward line. Taz already takes that role. The time for the move has come surely.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Have you seen Hansen play or are you just sticking up for a bloke because you love him?

Black as talented, if not more talented than Hansen... and can kick and mark. Hansen might be abel to run (which is good) but if you can't mark or kick straight your no good in the forward line. Taz already takes that role. The time for the move has come surely.

Hansen can't mark or kick straight?

Terrible kick and struggles to take a good mark. Averaged 4.2 a game vs 6 for Scott Thompson. I don't want to hear excuses about Thompson taking easy marks and ball being in backline, we made the 8... Hansen needs to improve his strength and attack on the ball, which in turn will improve his marking. He doesn't demand the ball enough.

Contested marks 1.3/1.2

Terrible kick and struggles to take a good mark. Averaged 4.2 a game vs 6 for Scott Thompson. I don't want to hear excuses about Thompson taking easy marks and ball being in backline, we made the 8... Hansen needs to improve his strength and attack on the ball, which in turn will improve his marking. He doesn't demand the ball enough.

20 goals 4 behinds. Terrible kick hey?

Ones a forward who should be marking, ones a back who is beating him in marks and spoiling 100 times a match.

Contest over, Thompson wins by a long mile in aerial ability.

Are you taking the piss? No way in hell is Thompson a better mark than Hansen.

And here are two DE%, 71.4% and 74.4%, now tell me which one do you think is more skillful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The truly ironic thing is that he has shown more than Black.

The glimpses that Black has shown is far better than the lots we have seen from Luke.

Are you saying Hansen can't mark or kick straight? Black is more an athletic leading forward -- a taller, younger, more athletic Aaron Edwards. Hansen is a top-shelf contested mark -- go watch his marking against Carlton last year -- with the tank to get up and down the ground and wear out most key defenders -- look how he was running out the game vs Essendon in the last quarter. On top of that, he's becoming a reliable set shot. I'll grant you, Black is a better looking kick, but there can't be much in it for effectiveness. 20 goals 4 is almost certainly a purple patch, but even assuming he regresses to the mean he's better than average.

I'd much rather watch Lachie be the chased rather than the chaser. The knock on him is that he doesn't have the instinct (or will?) to make a contest. I'm completely with Pykie on that one. How often do you hear commentators say something like "that goal all started with Petrie busting his arse to make a contest up on the wing"? I don't recall seeing a player better at that than Petrie. If (big if) Lachie can learn to be the same, we'll have no worries when Drew hangs 'em up.

NORTH Melbourne is excited about what an injury-free and maturing Lachie Hansen could mean to its finals chances this season.

The Roos need to find improvement if they are to navigate their way through a tough fixture and back into the finals, and are hopeful Hansen is one player who can provide a lift. Having finally nailed down a role as a key forward in the second half of last year, the 24-year-old has returned from the off-season ready to go and has been one of the standouts on the training track.

But more impressive has been Hansen's work in the gym, where he has added six kilograms of bulk by lifting a volume of weights his troublesome shoulders have not allowed him to in the past.

Hansen said this had been the first of seven pre-seasons where his body had allowed him to complete almost all of the training and conditioning, save for a two-week lay-off because of a minor foot complaint.

After playing 67 games in five seasons, Hansen's career was at a crossroads in 2012 - even more so when he was stuck in the VFL for the first 12 rounds.

But the forward forced his way into the senior team and managed to stay there by establishing a meaningful role in a three-pronged attack with fellow big men Drew Petrie and Robbie Tarrant.

Hansen finished fifth for contested marks and proved a sharp-shooter in front of goal, posting 20.4.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/baby-boy-gives-roo-extra-bounce-20130228-2f95d.html#ixzz2MEI32kGh

Ones a forward who should be marking, ones a back who is beating him in marks and spoiling 100 times a match.

Contest over, Thompson wins by a long mile in aerial ability.
Ok matey.

Trolls are well and truly here.

So because quite a few posters want Hansen to chb (some only when Grima out) they are 'trolls'?

Ok matey.

I dont agree with that claim either (although I do think Thommo is an underrated mark), but even so Hansen needs to improve his marking. He was a stronger and safer grab when drafted than now IMO.

I don't really mind where Hansen is.

I think he can play forward, he's a fantastic mark and a better kick for goal than he's ever been.

He'd fix our defence if we put him there. I honestly believe that.

I hope he gets some sustained time either forward or back. He'll do well either way, but I want him to stamp his name all over a position for years.

I hope he gets some sustained time either forward or back. He'll do well either way, but I want him to stamp his name all over a position for years.

I reckon that moving him back now would take a significant amount of time for him to get back into the swing of.

So because quite a few posters want Hansen to chb (some only when Grima out) they are 'trolls'?

I dont agree with that claim either (although I do think Thommo is an underrated mark), but even so Hansen needs to improve his marking. He was a stronger and safer grab when drafted than now IMO.
Nah, its valid but unwarranted. Im referring to those that bag Hansen relentlessly.

I don't really mind where Hansen is.

I think he can play forward, he's a fantastic mark and a better kick for goal than he's ever been.

He'd fix our defence if we put him there. I honestly believe that.

Has anyone got any numbers for the amount of contested marks we concede in defence?

I would be very surprised if this was an issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #6: Lachlan Hansen - pick 3 '06 - 151 NM games - NM life member - thanks Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back