Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m a Mansell hater but Stack has never put in 1/5th of the effort that Mansell does.
He did up until Rd 22 2019, when he was one of those dropped ('injury') to get Martin and Cotchin back into the team. Did not get a look in for the rest of the season (not even GF emergency - which tells you something).
Stack got pissed off, came back unfit and with a poor mindset for an AFL footballer in 2020 (mostly self-inflicted), played shit, went for a kebab to cheer himself up, 2021 took him half the year to get fit and than he was OK, 2022 was bad from the get-go ......... aaaaaaaand .................. he's gone.

The fact that no other club has taken a flyer on him since (not even the WA teams - you'd think that they would have had someone in his ear for the last 2 years)) shows that he just has not got the right mental attitude (with all that entails) to be a professional footballer. He would have been first on every club's list of 'Anyone worth a look at in the pre- or mid-season draft?'. He's just turned 24, FFS. (He's been in the WAFL the last 2 years and has played 2 reserves games).

We'll be talking about the '2019 Stack' for years to come. For me, he's taken over from Coughlan as the greatest 'what-if' in my time as a Tiger fan (Cogs was tragic, while Stack was just career suicide).

He did up until Rd 22 2019, when he was one of those dropped ('injury') to get Martin and Cotchin back into the team. Did not get a look in for the rest of the season (not even GF emergency - which tells you something).
Stack got pissed off, came back unfit and with a poor mindset for an AFL footballer in 2020 (mostly self-inflicted), played shit, went for a kebab to cheer himself up, 2021 took him half the year to get fit and than he was OK, 2022 was bad from the get-go ......... aaaaaaaand .................. he's gone.

The fact that no other club has taken a flyer on him since (not even the WA teams - you'd think that they would have had someone in his ear for the last 2 years)) shows that he just has not got the right mental attitude (with all that entails) to be a professional footballer. He would have been first on every club's list of 'Anyone worth a look at in the pre- or mid-season draft?'. He's just turned 24, FFS. (He's been in the WAFL the last 2 years and has played 2 reserves games).

We'll be talking about the '2019 Stack' for years to come. For me, he's taken over from Coughlan as the greatest 'what-if' in my time as a Tiger fan (Cogs was tragic, while Stack was just career suicide).
He was dropped to retool as a mid, like we did with Caddy on a wing and KMac at half-back.

He had 15 possessions in a half on-ball at Windy Hill but did his ankle ligaments just before half-time.

He got back and 'played' in the VFL grand final. I use the term 'played' loosely as he was clearly not right. He spent easily the least time on ground and when he was on he hobbled about in the forward pocket.

They wanted to give him every chance. If he'd been fit and in form there would have been no Marlion Pickett fairytale.

Could have been anything. But in the end wasn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God damn this makes me sad. What could have been hey

Thanks for posting this!! I remember feeling so excited about Stacky when we took a chance on him. I just remember thinking this young man has it all. He was essentially another prolific talent like Shai. I’m sure there are many things going on for SS that we are unaware of…. All the best to him I hope he sorts things out for himself…

Thanks for posting this!! I remember feeling so excited about Stacky when we took a chance on him. I just remember thinking this young man has it all. He was essentially another prolific talent like Shai. I’m sure there are many things going on for SS that we are unaware of…. All the best to him I hope he sorts things out for himself…
Just for you this, 13 minutes is better than 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back