Past #44: Cruize Garlett - delisted at end of 2012 season after rejecting 1yr contract extension from NM

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. Campbell (when fit) would also make a good sub - adds pace & flair.

ive watched Werribee the last 2 weeks and we need pace, let me tell you they could do worse than bring in Ben Speight the kid is a jet. (for Thomas who looks lame to me)

I assumed we put him down forward as they had enough trouble with Petrie, so it was an extra tall forward to deal with.

For a team with a number of blokes who struggle to run out games, taking of a mid that has played only 48% of game time instead of a key position player who has been chucked forward on the off chance he will stretch the defense, seems a daft risk to me. The game was always going to be won in the middle and weakening a midfield that already struggled to provide running options was a poor choice.

Round 5 – Richmond (SUBBED)

STATS:
13 disposals (8k, 5hb) @ 54% efficiency
7 contested
3 clearances
6 tackles
3 I50’s

Against Richmond he was subbed off about half way through the third quarter. I haven’t had a chance to check out the replay since then, but Cruize played a similar game to round 1. Some aspects of his game were good, particularly inside work; however, he was ultimately let down by poor disposal efficiency.

His tackling was the best it’s been all year, nailing six in very limited game time. Inside work was good – seven contested possessions and three clearances.

The negative was his disposal efficiency. He just had the one disposal clanger (misguided kick into the forward line), but struggled to find clean targets, especially by foot. A very high contested:uncontested ratio doesn’t help him.

He also had a chance to kick his first goal for the year but missed from outside 50 after the quarter time siren.

Again, if you extrapolate based on his game time (46%), you can see that he was heading for a pretty good game in many respects. A lot of people thought it was a bad idea to sub him off, even suggesting that it had an impact on the end result.

Rightly or wrongly, he was dropped for the next game. A player whose main issue is fitness would probably get more out of proper VFL minutes than he does playing a quarter here and a half there in the AFL.

Round 6 – North Ballarat VFL

STATS:
37 disposals
2 goals

Cruize played what was probably his first full game of football in quite a long time, and was named BOG. North Ballarat lost to Collingwood by a point, but Cruize gave his all with 37 touches and a couple of goals.

With our first win on the weekend, he’ll probably have to wait at least another week. Minor injury concerns over Ziebell, Hansen, and McMahon(?) may see him come straight back in though. I can’t see him staying in the VFL for too long because he’s been pretty dominant at that level over the last couple of years.

Round 7 - North Ballarat VFL

STATS:
31 disposals
8 clearances

Named 3rd BOG, I think Cruize is likely to be selected this week after another great VFL performance. According to the club website he finished with 31 touches, 8 clearances, and 13 handball receives. The handball receives stat is a positive as it's probably been one of his weaknesses in the AFL this year.

Edwards stole the show with 10 goals, and they should both be named Thursday night after probably being unfairly dropped in the first place.

Round 8 – Melbourne

STATS:
18 disposals (6k, 12hb) @ 56% efficiency
11 contested
7 tackles
4 clearances

Ben Cunnington was apparently ill at the last minute, and this opened the door for Cruize to step in and play one of his better games this season. 68% game time, while not great for most mids, was a huge upgrade on the last couple of times he played.

He and Jack Ziebell were excellent with their tackling and defensive pressure around the packs. I thought that for a small man he tackled hard and aggressively – maybe a little too much so at times, conceding a late free kick for an overzealous tackle and treading close to the line on a few others. Seven recorded tackles was a season high for him and the second most behind Ziebell for us on the day.

His contested possession and clearance numbers were again good. Eleven CP’s was the third most for us, and four clearances was the fourth most.

He didn’t record any disposal clangers, but for the third time this year his disposal efficiency was very low (56%). I thought this seemed pretty harsh on first viewing and counted at least twelve effective disposals on the replay (clearly, not even debateable). Anyway, his efficiency is way, way down on last year so he’ll want to improve that.

His head was busted open late in the game again, but he’s fine.

Brad Scott mentioned him in the post match press conference, saying that he stepped in and performed well. My guess is that Cunnington will come straight back into the side and Cruize could be the unlucky one when the team is announced later today. There are several other players I would replace before him, but we’ve seen so far this year that he’s not exactly a selection committee favourite.

He was only one possession off Ben Cunnington's best tally of 19 disposals from a game in August last year. If Cunnington is a walk up start at Garlett's expense then there is something wrong. Aaron Edwards was made to go back and earn a position and look at his performance last week.

Round 9 - Brisbane (SUB)

Really not much to say this week. Cruize wasn't subbed on until the last quarter when Brisbane were running over the top of us.

13% game time (really doesn't get much lower than that) and 4 kicks. Kind of hard to see the point of it.

Probably more VFL coming up for him.

Round 11 - North Ballarat VFL

STATS:

27 disposals
9 clearances
8 tackles

Cruize and the other North Ballarat players had a bye the week before. He was dominant again on the weekend being named second BOG.

There are some nice highlights on the club website of all our NB players.

With a great win on the weekend and Firrito coming back from suspension, it will be hard for anyone to get in.

Round 12 -North Ballarat VFL

STATS:

31 disposals
1 goal
85% kicking efficiency

His dominant form continued on the weekend.

Cruize Garlett is racking up career best numbers in the VFL and last weekend's match was no exception. His 31 possessions saw him listed among North Ballarat's best players.

"Cruize was the most effective inside midfielder for either team. He highlighted his day with a terrific stoppage goal in the last quarter," North Melbourne development coach Jason Lappin said.

The last time Garlett lined up for North Melbourne was in round nine against Brisbane, but with an improved efficiency rate by foot of 85 percent, he will come under consideration to take on the Bombers at Etihad Stadium on Saturday.

Again, it will be very hard for anyone to break into the side this week. We have hit our best form and look pretty settled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 13 - North Ballarat VFL

STATS:

32 disposals
9 clearances
15 contested possessions
60% kicking efficiency

Apart from his first appearance for NB when he went off injured in the first quarter, Cruize has been named 1st, 2nd, or 3rd BOG in every VFL match he's played this year.

Hansen may be back from injury, but once again, I think it will be very hard for anyone to break into the side right now.

Having last represented North Melbourne in round nine, Garlett (32 possessions) excelled at the stoppages (nine clearances, 15 contested disposals) but will be lamenting some uncharacteristic mistakes by foot (60% efficiency).

Round 14 - North Ballarat VFL

STATS:

26 disposals
6 marks
4 1 percenters

He's still plugging away in the VFL. I must have jinxed him last week as he didn't make the best list for the first time, but it sounds like he played well.

jschwag said:
Cruize doing the hard inside work, so won't get the recognition of the goal kickers, but the coaching staff would have been very happy with his game.

Round 15 - North Ballarat VFL

STATS:
31 disposals
7 tackles
5 clearances

His VFL form has been pretty extraordinary. Named 2nd BOG again vs Sandringham.

Jason Lappin said:
"Cruize was again effective as an inside midfielder and was really clean at ground level. A better defensive effort from him this week with seven tackles."

The last sentence might be a bit of an insight into what they're working on with him.

The guy is averaging about 30 possessions in the VFL and can't get a game.

In the coaches eyes, he's behind Swallow, Wells, Ziebell, Greenwood, Bastinac, Cunnington and Atley for an inside midfield spot. These guys are only going to get better so it's hard to find a spot for him going forward.

He's shown on about 5 or 6 occasions, in limited game time, his ability to get 20+ disposals at AFL level.

It wouldn't surprise me if he asked to be traded.

He should walk and take Speight with him. If they aren't in the side due to not following instructions then they may be smarter than the average bear. To those fortunate ones following instructions ( i.e Ben C ) get into DIY with noisy power tools. It may be your best chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #44: Cruize Garlett - delisted at end of 2012 season after rejecting 1yr contract extension from NM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back