Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - [AFL.com] NM offers 5yr deal - CZ interest from SYD/GC - CZ mgr says 'wants to see improvement' & 'team success'

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree, but ... would you match an offer of 5 years at $800k? I don't think Cam is worth that money. I'd match it only to try to get a 1st round pick back as compensation.
If you’d asked me this three years ago, I would’ve said no.

But right now, I think it depends on how inflated players salaries have become across the board thanks to the new CBA, and what our salary cap situation looks like for the next two years.

What percentage of players salaries going forward will be 800k and above?

Reckon it’s safe to assume we’re in a position to heavily frontload the lions share of any big contract signed over the next couple years so it’s a very limited liability going forward. But I guess the big question is: does CZ actually want to stick around at Arden St?

Yes I understand that. I am just assuming the AFL will make the compensation at best end of first round.

That depends on the amount that is paid to him, so if some schmk pays him 5 times 1 mil then its band 1.

But of course, we should offer him an amount that will get us band 1, he needs to reject that for less elsewhere, so it's really up to him.

We want to send a message that we won't be chasing people.

The rules weren’t changed. If CZ leaves and he is paid in the top 5% then he will next first round compo. I dont think he will be offered that much though
It'd be a massive overpay if a team did, however they then run the risk of being forced to trade for him.

If a club is willing to offer huge $$$ to limited FB, anything is possible.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Talk of 1st round compo was always insane. Absolutely zero chance. So early 20s pick is what we get.

FWIW Cam is ours to lose, he doesn't want to leave all his best mates are at the club and is a loyal guy. We just got to start creating some hope for these guys, need to improve. Win some games etc.

That's on Cam as well though.

Talk of 1st round compo was always insane. Absolutely zero chance. So early 20s pick is what we get.

FWIW Cam is ours to lose, he doesn't want to leave all his best mates are at the club and is a loyal guy. We just got to start creating some hope for these guys, need to improve. Win some games etc.

If a formula is in place for giving compensation picks then it locked in place unless it has been changed prior to the season commencing unlike a priority pick which is at the discretion of the AFL.

Does it change people's opinions about allowing him to leave if the conversation is about pick 25 instead of pick 2?
It's not really about allowing him to leave. He's a restricted FA so he gets to decide.

If he does want to leave and we don't think the compo is adequate we can match and arrange a trade.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a formula is in place for giving compensation picks then it locked in place unless it has been changed prior to the season commencing unlike a priority pick which is at the discretion of the AFL.
It is locked in you basically need to be in the top 5% of players pay wise for band 1.
No chance Cam is getting that offer anywhere.

One player on their own won't make much of a difference unless they are an absolutely exceptional generational player - which Cam is not.

I expect us to let him go tbh if we get a pick in the 20s.

One player on their own won't make much of a difference unless they are an absolutely exceptional generational player - which Cam is not.

I expect us to let him go tbh if we get a pick in the 20s.
I think the challenge is we are short of strong bodies. Bringing in another 18 year old from the second round of the draft isn’t going to help us much.

I think the challenge is we are short of strong bodies. Bringing in another 18 year old from the second round of the draft isn’t going to help us much.

I agree personally, but the clubs strategy doesn't seem to align with that thinking.

Reckon they are licking their lips at the prospect of another compo pick.

If we pay him overs, everyone sits here this time next year saying “aw man, why did we do that? He’s still doing nothing. **€K you Brady”

If we let him go, everyone sits here this time next year watching him tear it up at another club saying “aw man, we should’ve kept him, look at that leadership we need. **€K you Brady”.

It’s ‘choose your own adventure’ North Melbourne style! 🔀

What I am saying is, the rules will change. The AFL won’t allow it.
They can’t be changed mid season. The rules need to be changed during the season for the next season. So its not happening. If CZ collects band 1 compo then it is what it is.

Thats the whole point of “free agency” thats why said compensation would be given. Good players will leave struggling clubs. Thats the point. They can’t change it. Doesn’t matter.

We need to keep em.

Thats the point. We need CZ we need LDU.

That depends on the amount that is paid to him, so if some schmk pays him 5 times 1 mil then its band 1.

But of course, we should offer him an amount that will get us band 1, he needs to reject that for less elsewhere, so it's really up to him.

We want to send a message that we won't be chasing people.
Its the AFL’s fail safe when struggling clubs lose their best players.. as if they change anything hey?

The AFL carry on like pork chops about equalisation. There is no chance the compensation ever changes.

Im not sure there is any need to reply to people concerned we will lose on our players IF they choose to leave.

If CZ bands a first round compo, i’d almost dance down the street doing hands stands and cartwheels in the nude

Last edited:
Its the AFL’s fail safe when struggling clubs lose their best players.. as if they change anything hey?

The AFL carry on like pork chops about equalisation. There is no chance the compensation ever changes.

Im not sure there is any need to reply to people concerned we will lose on our players IF they choose to leave.

If CZ bands a first round compo, i’d almost dance down the street doing hands stands and cartwheels in the nude

We can probably influence by offering him a band 1 package so if any other clubs offer nearly as much, it will guarantee a band 1 compo. I think we are already doing that and just to see if any clubs take the bait.

If not, then the ball is in his court to go to a lesser paying team where his position might not be as secure as here.

End of first round comp for CZ will mean we have nominal picks 19 and 20 (which will end up being 23 and 24). Coupled with pick 1 that is a good draft hand. Gives us plenty of flexibility to trade up (2 picks inside 10) or down (5 picks inside 30) as circumstances develop.

We should not stand in CZ's way - he is a 'good ordinary' player at best and at 6'2 is easily replaced with Duursma and Ford next year. Right now we need all the draft capital we can get to accelerate the improvement in this list - the AFL won't be helping us so we need to help ourselves.

We can probably influence by offering him a band 1 package so if any other clubs offer nearly as much, it will guarantee a band 1 compo. I think we are already doing that and just to see if any clubs take the bait.

If not, then the ball is in his court to go to a lesser paying team where his position might not be as secure as here.
Ya see thats where the AFL hasnt ultimately faced this issue in the history of free agency (******* hell its North to test the system, better being on this end of the system before its honed out). North Melbourne could potentially be MASSIVE beneficiaries of such a poorly organised scheme.

North could potentially IF CZ and LDU leave wind up with pick 2/3 (2022) pick 2/3 (2023) potentially picks 1-2/2-3 (2024) to picks next year.. 2025 could be picks 1/2 if LdU leaves?

From 2022 to 2025 we could potentially have almost half a team filled with the best talent over a 4 year stretch.

I dont necessarily want that, however if you were a pro coach.. its kind of mouth watering.. the thought of having 2 out if the 3 best talents over over a 4 year stretch kinda gets me blood flowin

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back