Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - [AFL.com] CZ mgr says 'wants to see improvement' & 'team success' - CZ 4.1 vs MFC

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard on the wireless that FA compo will now include tenure as part of the rating process.
I'd suggest Cam will get somewhere around the 850K pa for six years. So circa a 5.1 mil contract.
That reeks of band 1 everyday of the week. Clubs are basically buying first round picks, I have often thought if we could put put our current pick one up for sale how much it would be worth to say the West Coast with a net worth of 77 million.
And I'm sure we're happy to see this play out, as has been suggested by others, this is very much like the McKay situation now.
We won with Magoo and we will win with Zurhaar either way.

Good times, and again Duursma, Curtis, Ford, Larkey & unfortunately George who's injured. We're ok for HFF's
Get it done TAO

I hope so, it will benefit the Zurhaar compo, as the talk is he has 6 years on the table from the Pies.

I don't think he's going to get that sort of money though. 6 x $750k maybe. But if tenure comes into it, it might be enough to get Band 1.

I feel this is a loophole that will get closed fairly quickly though, maybe as soon as it's introduced.

It's likey Zurhaar, Battle and Stengle will all recieve Band 1 and there will be melts and outrage galore around trade week because of it.

The hypocrisy is that FA compo is designed to assist the bottom teams in rebuilding when finals teams gut their best players via FA, which is exactly what is happening.
It was introduced this year as * triggered band 1 for gresham last year by paying him the same money over 3 years that they were going to over 4. So they stopped that by introducing the length of contract to be part of the value, which makes sense.

I have come off the boil on CZ, I love his best but it doesn't happen enough and to be brutal his form and efforts are part of the reason our last few years have been so terrible. If he goes Ford, Duursma and PC are enough to replace him

He's not stringing us along, he's very clearly said they will wait until the end of the year. Stringing us along would be constantly putting it off for a few weeks, and then another few weeks, and another few weeks.

As for the second comment above, if he says he will wait until the end of the year, it's not fair to criticise him for sticking to that.

We've only had three decent weeks, it's too early to say whether this is just another false dawn. (We had three losses by less than ten points in the last 6 weeks of last season, and then looked horrible at the start of this season, for instance.)

Like I said, if it prevents us actively replacing him, it's no different to McKay.

The club isn't here to cater for Cam at this point in the process. Rnd 16.

If he wants out, that is fine. But he should make that decision so we can look at options. Stengle will decide on his next home before the end of the season, like Cam has, like most players have. Any statement otherwise is just waffle. We can't actively be involved in that bidding process without a position from CZ or his management.

He's had 3 years and 6 months of this season to make his decision, we are in Round 16. He's had a contract offer for 4 months.

Like we did with Ben Brown, at some point we should just make the decision for him and pull the offer.

There's enough evidence that points to players doing this to enable them to get through their contract year with little scrutiny and then either nominate a club via FA or request a trade when they are away from the club in their break. They've avoided the year long media cycle and never have to front up to the fan base, or in some cases, their teammates again.

In fact, they've had that fan base defending them for most of that year.

The odds are extremely high this is what is going to happen at this point.

Remembering there was a hell of a lot of people defending McKay in Rnd 16 of last year in the same way.

My position is exactly the same with LDU this trade period if we receive offers that will exceed FA compo in 2025, he needs to be open with his intentions.

Last edited:
Like I said, if it prevents us actively replacing him, it's no different to McKay.

The club isn't here to cater for Cam at this point in the process. Rnd 16.

If he wants out, that is fine. But he should make that decision so we can look at options. Stengle will decide on his next home before the end of the season, like Cam has, like most players have. Any statement otherwise is just waffle. We can't actively be involved in that bidding process without a position from CZ or his management.

He's had 3 years and 6 months of this season to make his decision, we are in Round 16. He's had a contract offer for 4 months.

Like we did with Ben Brown, at some point we should just make the decision for him and pull the offer.

There's enough evidence that points to players doing this to enable them to get through their contract year with little scrutiny and then either nominate a club via FA or request a trade when they are away from the club in their break. They've avoided the year long media cycle and never have to front up to the fan base, or in some cases, their teammates again.

In fact, they've had that fan base defending them for most of that year.

The odds are extremely high this is what is going to happen at this point.

Remembering there was a hell of a lot of people defending McKay in Rnd 16 of last year in the same way.

My position is exactly the same with LDU this trade period if we receive offers that will exceed FA compo in 2025, he needs to be open with his intentions.
Jesus Christ, pulling the Ben Brown offer was one of the dumbest things we've done during this whole crummy period. Totally destroyed his trade value.

Hopefully the club is more mature than you.

Jesus Christ, pulling the Ben Brown offer was one of the dumbest things we've done during this whole crummy period. Totally destroyed his trade value.

Hopefully the club is more mature than you.

We had to pull Brown's offer, covid hit and we had to cut player salaries. What killed his trade value was Rawlings making a public statement that we were moving on without Ben, it kind of shot us in the foot.

I think the club would prefer Cam stay, don't think we would pull the offer and I think Rawlings has learnt his lesson.

Normally I'd say someone's gone, if they're unsigned by this point of the year. But Cam did sign after the season in 22, ditto Bailey.

Would rather he stay, but need to work out how we maximise the return if he does go.
Any players at the Pies who'd be useful for us and gettable if we match and trade?

Could we throw a long term deal at McCreery and see if he's keen?

Everyone else has put pen to paper and he hasn't, it sounds plausible that he either made that comment or is stalling until the end of the year when he can opt for free agency.
bro he literally said that he's going to assess at the end of the season and see if we've made improvement. clarkson reiterated it today also.....can you stop posting garbage on here and let the season play out and hopefully we get another couple of wins and he re-signs. if he leaves we have depth to step up into his role, and we'll get something back in return.

with LDU making that announcement, he's now in a bit of a hard position mentally.

He want's to see progress, the prima donna has spoken...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bro he literally said that he's going to assess at the end of the season and see if we've made improvement. clarkson reiterated it today also.....can you stop posting garbage on here and let the season play out and hopefully we get another couple of wins and he re-signs. if he leaves we have depth to step up into his role, and we'll get something back in return.

What did I say that was untrue? I didn't read any comment that he made that he wanted to see improvement from the team, the only thing Clarkson said is that he was leaving it to the end of the year and all I said was that it wouldn't surprise me if he/his manager did make that comment, but I hadn't seen it myself.

Everyone else has put pen to paper, he hasn't. Right now he isn't committed, he wants to leave it until the end of the year as a free agent and I am not sure what proportion of free agents that leave it to the end of the season re-sign, but a lot do not. It is what it is, he has the right to do that, the right to leave as a free agent if he so wishes.

He might put pen to paper and he will become committed, but at present he is not and I can't put him in the same group of people who have put pen to paper.

I just feel the current state of performances is a reflection on the mature group and leaders, future potential is based on the calibre of coaching staff and the talent you are bringing in. We have access to some amazing young talent. I lay the blame on us being woeful in recent times on the senior group making too many basic errors and not playing consistent enough. We have seen them perform the last couple of weeks and nobody is playing out of their skin, we just have the pressure and intensity over the entire group and all the senior players are at fault for not doing enough as individuals and enough as a group to demand higher standards as a team prior to this recent period. Cam is as guilty as anyone so I find it rich if he is looking for the team to improve when he is a contributing factor why it hasn't been until recently.

The fact you think we have the depth to cover him if he chooses to leave is more of an indictment on Cam, nobody looking to get a significant pay increase from their golden ticket free agency inspired contract should be a player that can easily be covered by someone else. It is a reflection on where this stands, his loss should feel significant, we were popping champagne when Ben left and it could be a similar scenario if we get band 1 with Cam. You should really feel the loss of senior players who leave.

Last edited:
Cam leaving could pave the way for taylor to establish as a impact medium forward.

He's on 75 games so he is starting to get into his prime.

Also duursma may get more opportunities as a half forward.

Cam leaving could pave the way for taylor to establish as a impact medium forward.

He's on 75 games so he is starting to get into his prime.

Also duursma may get more opportunities as a half forward.
Most players in the prime of their careers aren’t built like a 12 year old.

He signed his last two year deal in September 2022. So this is just how he and his manager play things. Zero point reading anything into the timing this year, no matter what other players do or have done.

I'd love Cam to stay. But if a club like the Pies wants to put a big contract in front of Cam, I see it like many others, if it doesn't trigger band 1 we match. Simples.

Is there any way for the club to know for sure if a contract offer will trigger band 1? How does the club know if they need to match a bid if there's to much "secret herbs and spices" in this process?

I'd love Cam to stay. But if a club like the Pies wants to put a big contract in front of Cam, I see it like many others, if it doesn't trigger band 1 we match. Simples.

Is there any way for the club to know for sure if a contract offer will trigger band 1? How does the club know if they need to match a bid if there's to much "secret herbs and spices" in this process?
It's a guessing game it seems.

It would make sense if the compensation pick was announced and the club then has 24 hours to decide on whether or not to match.

Think this bid matching thing is misunderstood.

Scenario:

AFL - Band 2 compensation awarded (pick 19 before bids)

NM match to force trade

Collingwood refuse to trade anything better than R2

NM won't accept - want R1 or F1 plus sweeteners

AFL arbitration fails - Collingwood have nothing to lose so refuse to pay NM demands

Zurhaar is delisted and enters the ND

It gets uglier obviously if the AFL started with Band 3 or worse.

Think this bid matching thing is misunderstood.

Scenario:

AFL - Band 2 compensation awarded (pick 19 before bids)

NM match to force trade

Collingwood refuse to trade anything better than R2

NM won't accept - want R1 or F1 plus sweeteners

AFL arbitration fails - Collingwood have nothing to lose so refuse to pay NM demands

Zurhaar is delisted and enters the ND

It gets uglier obviously if the AFL started with Band 3 or worse.
Let’s not rule out the Aints for a ridiculous offer. That board has imploded out of its arse multiple times in the last twenty four hours. Hopefully they get stupid enough to entice Zuurhar just for a small win for their members and cough up a compo

Clubs are told of the compo before making a call on whether to match.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back