Traded #42: Massimoe D'Ambrosioe - Thank you for your service

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tit for tat doesnt work.

I want Massimo in a defensively unaccountable role, acting as a playmaker in the way Sam Mitchell did or Nic Daicos does. Only difference is that I wouldn't start Massimo on ball. I'd have him do it from half forward.

If Parish kicked bullets like Massimo does he'd be so damaging his lack of defense wouldnt rate a mention (as it doesn't with Fyfe, Dusty albeit as a different style of player). He'd basically be Nic Daicos.

If Parish kicked darts like Massimo he would literally be the best player in the AFL.

Martin isnt anywhere near as poor defensively as his reputation suggests. Hes like third for spoils from mids, better than AA winger josh daicos in pressure acts and PA inside D50. He gives up loads of marks because pushes to the contest as an extra because we are terrible around the ball and at applying forward line pressure.

You want him to hold his width, fine. Him holding his width is down stream of our mids and forwards applying pressure on the ball. We wont having to use the extra at the stoppage so much once we get mids that can match it even numbers with the best.

Martin isnt anywhere near as poor defensively as his reputation suggests. Hes like third for spoils from mids, better than AA winger josh daicos in pressure acts and PA inside D50. He gives up loads of marks because pushes to the contest as an extra because we are terrible around the ball and at applying forward line pressure.

You want him to hold his width, fine. Him holding his width is down stream of our mids and forwards applying pressure on the ball. We wont having to use the extra at the stoppage so much once we get mids that can match it even numbers with the best.

Forget width.. When someone runs past him with the football he needs to try to stop them! He was either gassed or just unwilling to work and it was glaringly obvious, particularly towards the back end of the year.

Hopefully the same people banging on about the team's inability to defend and then focuisng on Parish have a really close look at this bloke (as well as Nic Marin) from here on in. Struggles to lay a hand on anyone and seems to have no idea where to position himself defensively. I was happy to hear that he was being shopped to be honest because I just don't see it with Mass. That said, no one will be happier than me if he stays on the list and improves.

There is a bit of a difference though.

What did Parish just sign for, $750k or something? Mass needs to improve defensively, without question. But on the same hand, if you want to keep every one to the same standard, you better be sending McGrath back to the VFL to play on the other pocket with him, as his last month of the year wasn’t anywhere near AFL standard.

I think Parish should, fairly or not, sort of be held to a higher standard. With Merrett. And Ridley. And our other top players. If Tsatas sees Parish not really giving 100% (or Merrett, Setterfield, whoever), is he going to think he can also not give 100%?

Forget width.. When someone runs past him with the football he needs to try to stop them! He was either gassed or just unwilling to work and it was glaringly obvious, particularly towards the back end of the year.
I havent noticed him refusing to chase, does lay some weak wristed tackles sometimes, needs to learn to get his body into them.

It stands out more when you watch the games live I think. He isn’t Robinson Crusoe though.
I attended a lot of our games this year. I didnt notice it in comparison to others in similar roles. Can he improve his desperation? Sure. Will it improve us anywhere remotely as much as a 95% starting mid like Parish. Not even close.
So much so its really a non-issue.

I attended a lot of our games this year. I didnt notice it in comparison to others in similar roles. Can he improve his desperation? Sure. Will it improve us anywhere remotely as much as a 95% starting mid like Parish. Not even close.

It's a team-wide issue, giving exceptions to one player or another doesn't resolve that.

They should all improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think you can really pick and choose. Any one player giving an extra 2% is not going to win the game. You need a TEAM, and they all need to be doing their bit.

I don't think you can really pick and choose. Any one player giving an extra 2% is not going to win the game. You need a TEAM, and they all need to be doing their bit.
It's a team-wide issue, giving exceptions to one player or another doesn't resolve that.

They should all improve.

It's moreso that there is a cascade of difficulty and responsibility on how hard it is to apply pressure based on position. No pressure on the ball from the forward or mids and even the best wingers and defenders will have a bad time. Which is exactly our reality.

Martin and D'Ambrossio could improve significantly defensive and it ain't gonna change our reality because opposition with time and space on their hands will always put it to advantage.

But the same standards don't apply to everyone.

Sure you can say Nic Martin's defence is poor. There is even an argument that his defence is so bad it might offset the good he does.

But with ball in hand he at least hits the first mark of being damaging with his ball use.

If he was Durham with ball in hand he wouldn't be on an AFL list let alone us discussing his defence.
Yep if the same standards applied to everyone guys like fyfe, Daicos, Martin etc would be accountable to their opponents. Not saying massimo is anywhere near their level, but to say same standards apply to everyone in the 22 is wrong.

It's moreso that there is a cascade of difficulty and responsibility on how hard it is to apply pressure based on position. No pressure on the ball from the forward or mids and even the best wingers and defenders will have a bad time. Which is exactly our reality.

Martin and D'Ambrossio could improve significantly defensive and it ain't gonna change our reality because opposition with time and space on their hands will always put it to advantage.
this sums it up nicely i think. a lot of the time from watching our games live, we're always fairly rushed when we have time/space, and make shit decisions

Yep if the same standards applied to everyone guys like fyfe, Daicos, Martin etc would be accountable to their opponents. Not saying massimo is anywhere near their level, but to say same standards apply to everyone in the 22 is wrong.
Kind of depends though doesn't it?

I mean, if you are a defender you get marked on your ability to defend yeah? It isn't rocket science.

Kind of depends though doesn't it?

I mean, if you are a defender you get marked on your ability to defend yeah? It isn't rocket science.
Well not all defenders are defenders these days. Was Daicos getting marked on his ability to defend last year, was sheezel this year. Does Sinclair get marked on his ability to defend, does Bailey dale or Caleb Daniel.

Well not all defenders are defenders these days. Was Daicos getting marked on his ability to defend last year, was sheezel this year. Does Sinclair get marked on his ability to defend, does Bailey dale or Caleb Daniel.

Look, it did appear that Mass was put into the team to defend and he looked all at sea or did I imagine it?

I mean, were my eyes deceiving me?

Look, it did appear that Mass was put into the team to defend and he looked all at sea or did I imagine it?

Only came on in the last quarter of each game most weeks, so I guess you could argue he was supposed to be a run and gun option.

Problem with that is if you are getting slaughtered when the substitution happens...

I don’t think massimo got senior afl games because of his ability to defend, I’d go further to say his ability to defense is certainly not the thing that got him drafted either.

I don’t think massimo got senior afl games because of his ability to defend, I’d go further to say his ability to defense is certainly not the thing that got him drafted either.
If he was drafted for his ability to defend the entire recruiting department should have been sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back