Player Watch #32 - Corey Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

I followed the draft closely. Thought this guy would've gone 15 to mid 20s. Can't say I'm over the moon about this selection. Happy to be proven wrong though.
We won't know who nallad the draft for a few years.

Gonna say it. I was ******* pissed when we overlooked Heppel, and i'm ******* pissed we didn't take Garlett. Not saying Ellis is a dud, but, FFS where are we gonna get that outside run and pace from? A Garlett type. As Tugga said, Vanilla.

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power.
Did you not watch our last 2 elimination finals, do the names Judd and Boak not mean anything to you, we need big inside midfielders to stop that , its amazing how quick you look when you have the ball. Watch a few of the hawks games, Lewis, Mitchell, Sewell, Hodge, these sort of players ringng a bell

Did you not watch our last 2 elimination finals, do the names Judd and Boak not mean anything to you, we need big inside midfielders to stop that , its amazing how quick you look when you have the ball. Watch a few of the hawks games, Lewis, Mitchell, Sewell, Hodge, these sort of players ringng a bell

I reckon Martin, Cotchin, Ellis, Vlastuin, Miles, Delidio are pretty good sized mids.
So yes, i have watched the last two finals. Port have 7 elite rated runners. They blew us and many other teams off the field with pace.
We have bulls and extractors, we have nothing in the Rioli, Garlett moulds.
With the hawks, you're telling me Suckling, Smith, Hille, Poppy, Rioli and a coup,e of others are slow??? Get your hand off it and start watching the game. Dudes like Mitchell mop,it up and give it to the speedsters.
And with the Carlton final, Conca tearing a hammy, Newman rolling his ankle and there was another injury to us before half time. We ran out of legs.

Don't chuck the shits yet guys, this guy has only just got his jumper, give him a chance instead of doubting him straight away, I hope he proves you all wrong

I hope that the recruiting staff know what they are doing and I certainly hope that he becomes a great player for us. I do have my concerns about selecting him due to not any other club would have been interested in him at around the pick we got him. The last people where we did that with our first round pick were JON and Conca. JON turned out to be a terrible choice and the Jury is still out for Conca (he has been solid before this year but he could go either way IMO). Someone mentioned in the drafting thread that he had a 49% disposal efficiency which has me a little worried (but that stat is depends on how much of the ball he gets inside packs).

I will give him a chance, but I'm not confident.

I hope that the recruiting staff know what they are doing and I certainly hope that he becomes a great player for us. I do have my concerns about selecting him due to not any other club would have been interested in him at around the pick we got him. The last people where we did that with our first round pick were JON and Conca. JON turned out to be a terrible choice and the Jury is still out for Conca (he has been solid before this year but he could go either way IMO). Someone mentioned in the drafting thread that he had a 49% disposal efficiency which has me a little worried (but that stat is depends on how much of the ball he gets inside packs).

There was also a bloke named Jack

Like that left foot, touch of the Trent McKenzie's about it. Don't care so much about his right, if he uses the left so well.
Could not care less about Weller, Garlett, Laverde or anyone else - they play for other teams, not the Tigers. And all this bullsh*t about "outside speed" - Geelong has never had much of it, and it hasn't done them much harm for the last 8 years or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was also a bloke named Jack

We picked up Jack Riewoldt at around the pick he was expected to be picked. If anything some people had him going 1 or 2 picks before our pick.

It was a funny time around 2006-2007. Back then clubs preferred athletes before footballers. Now they prefer footballers before athletes. There were more athletic talls picked before Riewoldt, but Riewoldts greatest strength has always been his ability to read the play, great contested mark and know where the goals are. If they valued footballers before athletes back in 2006 or 2007 Riewoldt would have been in the top 7-8 selected.

Last edited:
agrant ssh
I reckon Martin, Cotchin, Ellis, Vlastuin, Miles, Delidio are pretty good sized mids.
So yes, i have watched the last two finals. Port have 7 elite rated runners. They blew us and many other teams off the field with pace.
With the hawks, you're telling me Suckling, Smith, Hille, Poppy, Rioli and a coup,e of others are slow??? Get your hand off it and start watching the game. Dudes like Mitchell mop,it up and give it to the speedsters.
And with the Carlton final, Conca tearing a hammy, Newman rolling his ankle and there was another injury to us before half time. We ran out of legs.

You have no idea, where were Martin, Cotchin, Ellis, Vlastuin, Miles, Delidio when judd and Boak made us look like kids, you keep taking 70kg kids and we will continue to finish where we do, you clearly dont watch the hawks, they have a couple of really quick players, what they have is a really good balance, their outside runners do the inside work when needed, Ken Hinkley is exactly the same, coached my loacal team to a flag, he is really simple in his message, team defense and then run,

Please, you should be with Dimma and the PR at the Club, we got smashed by 2 people, and we couldnt stop it, why do you think we drafted Thomas and when that didnt work, we got Miles, we are still 3 -4 mids short of a a top 4 team, We have run, you can see it when we are on a roll, our issue is we can not stop opposition run on's. Watch the good side shut the game down when opposition teams get a run on. And last thing, watch the hawls once Mitchell, lewis and hodge retire, how good do you think the "speedsters" will be then, i'll tell you, the same as the other 250 speedster in the league, average.

agrant ssh

You have no idea, where were Martin, Cotchin, Ellis, Vlastuin, Miles, Delidio when judd and Boak made us look like kids, you keep taking 70kg kids and we will continue to finish where we do, you clearly dont watch the hawks, they have a couple of really quick players, what they have is a really good balance, their outside runners do the inside work when needed, Ken Hinkley is exactly the same, coached my loacal team to a flag, he is really simple in his message, team defense and then run,

Please, you should be with Dimma and the PR at the Club, we got smashed by 2 people, and we couldnt stop it, why do you think we drafted Thomas and when that didnt work, we got Miles, we are still 3 -4 mids short of a a top 4 team, We have run, you can see it when we are on a roll, our issue is we can not stop opposition run on's. Watch the good side shut the game down when opposition teams get a run on. And last thing, watch the hawls once Mitchell, lewis and hodge retire, how good do you think the "speedsters" will be then, i'll tell you, the same as the other 250 speedster in the league, average.

Welcome back Santa Claws

Gonna say it. I was ******* pissed when we overlooked Heppel, and i'm ******* pissed we didn't take Garlett. Not saying Ellis is a dud, but, FFS where are we gonna get that outside run and pace from? A Garlett type. As Tugga said, Vanilla.

Um we did take Connor Menadue who can provide great outside pace, run, overhead marking and ability to hit the scoreboard. Value pick because he is 188 and 69kg - although he has apparently put on a bit of weight recently.

I was super keen on Blakely but a combo of Ellis and Menadue could prove to be really handy

Unfortunately all those mids couldn't get their hands on it, which is why I wanted another insider.

We picked up Jack Riewoldt at around the pick he was expected to be picked. If anything some people had him going 1 or 2 picks before our pick.

It was a funny time around 2006-2007. Back then clubs preferred athletes before footballers. Now they prefer footballers before athletes. There were more athletic talls picked before Riewoldt, but Riewoldts greatest strength has always been his ability to read the play, great contested mark and know where the goals are. If they valued footballers before athletes back in 2006 or 2007 Riewoldt would have been in the top 7-8 selected.
We had pick 8? and downgraded to 13, and yet he was still there. Clubs didn't rate him, a win for us in the end, and so might Ellis be.

North were keen.
His 49% was when injured.Beforehand it was high as 79%.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back