AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

If we’re paying him anything more than 650-700k, we’re kidding ourselves. Deadeset liability with his kicking & it cost us again tonight.
He shouldn't be being offered more than Martin or Redman. You could argue the other 2 are more important to us long term. If all 3 were offered long term deals on the same money and stayed id be happy.

He shouldn't be being offered more than Martin or Redman. You could argue the other 2 are more important to us long term. If all 3 were offered long term deals on the same money and stayed id be happy.

Martin & Redman are clearly more of a priority signing than Parish & id be offering them comfortably more $$$.

Blaming him for the loss is peak smooth brain take. He was huge. Got himself into the positions but didn't finish it off a few times.
Not sure too many are blaming him solely for the loss, that was a team effort.
But to say he was "huge" says you have very low expectations of this bloke.
At 25 and almost 150 games in, I expect a lot more from Darcy. His best is very good, but we don't see it anywhere near enough. Just not a damaging midfielder. Lacks power, penetration & lazy defensively. Stats on paper don't necessarily tell the whole story. To be honest he just doesn't convince me. Just my opinion. Hope he can prove me wrong.

On SM-G780G using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
There was a passage in the second which sums him up. Weid was in the ruck, and had a run on the ball forward of centre. Parish's eyes light up and he comes in from the side, impeding Weideman's run and he takes the ball back into traffic with a handball, stopping a certain i50 with 6 on 6. Stat ✅
That's how people generally justify Parish's game. You watch it and think - wow that was pretty mediocre. Then you read the stats and they almost gaslight you into thinking it was a good game.

He's not doing anything Brayden Fiorini, Will Brodie or Matt Kennedy couldn't do with similar unaccountability.

Blaming him for the loss is peak smooth brain take. He was huge. Got himself into the positions but didn't finish it off a few times.
Yeh I will blame him. If you want to put your hand out to be paid like an elite mid. Finish your work in the forward half… otherwise move along. That’s the difference between being an 750/800k player a year to a 500k mid. In the short term we might lose a bit with Darcy leaving, but within 18 months we could fil his void comfortably.

Yeh I will blame him. If you want to put your hand out to be paid like an elite mid. Finish your work in the forward half… otherwise move along. That’s the difference between being an 750/800k player a year to a 500k mid. In the short term we might lose a bit with Darcy leaving, but within 18 months we could fil his void comfortably.
Well said and with astute recruitment we would be more balanced for it. Look at what Mass did when we played North, it never looked like missing - showed the value of being a competent kick (elite in his case).

He’s not perfect, but I really appreciated a couple of things he did today.

Goblin still gets a bit of a panicked look in his eyes when he has the ball in congestion and the space is closing in on him; keeps getting caught if he gets his hands on it. Parish today didn’t get in his way (unlike last week) but he did give him an emergency option for the backwards handball if he couldn’t find a way forward. Supporting the youth, making space for others to have a go, developing some midfield chemistry, and showing some leadership ✅

The other thing was that Parish appears to have remembered how to run in defence, plug the holes and whatever. Still a seagull, but the fact he’s even back there is progress for mine, makes it a bit harder for the opposition to get over the back. As I recall, he and Shiel were doing it at the start of the year, then lost it and got injured and now seem to have rediscovered it. So some progress for run smarter, workrate & team defence ✅

Correct, i was just wondering why you laughed at my post. Agree to disagree

I just thought that Parish was clearly worse last week and was much improved this week but yeah, agree to disagree.
Handshake Bros GIF

Not sure there was a lot different. Sure he missed some goal but it was pretty much a standard Parish game. Some really good stuff with some good in close wins. A few poor turnovers. A couple of defensive lapses.

Think people are incorrect in saying he gets empty stats. Parish is clearly dynamic around the ball and can make good decisions when he has it.

He just seems to have either no clue or no desire to understand that at times the correct play doesn’t involve him getting the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love it how Parish constantly gets blamed for a loss.

2MP, Guelfi, Durham, Weid were virtually unsighted, not all on Parish

Just to be clear.

He's a shit player because he kick chases (with a freedom associated with peak time Dusty, Fyfe and Danger) and mostly loses possession inside because he can't wear physical pressure or sells his team mates into trouble so he can get whatever pointless stat is credited to him.

Then there is his disposal by foot which is largely atrocious and his pathetic tackling and chasing efforts.

Whether he can be blamed for the loss, others can debate that.

Yeah he should **** off and than we can boo him next year like it was his solely his choice and not us wanting him to leave so we can waste another top ten pick like 90% of the ones we've had for the last 20 years.

Like I know Duursma didn't play last night... but seeing Ports 2018 draft dominate now and for the forseeable future while they were pick 5, 12 and 18 and yet our lauded 2020 haul from 8, 9 and 10 will be lucky to be as good together as one of Ports picks... **** me that's depressing.

It's amazing we've drafted so shit and people want argubly one of 3 best top ten picks of the last 20 years to **** off, and no we're not getting Harley Reid with 2 picks in our range and first next year when GWS can trump that easily if west coast cash in.

Then there is his disposal by foot which is largely atrocious and his pathetic tackling and chasing efforts.

He had 7 tackles last night, equal second on the ground with Drew while Rozee had 9.

7 Bombers with 1 tackle or less last night....

Yeah he should * off and than we can boo him next year like it was his solely his choice and not us wanting him to leave so we can waste another top ten pick like 90% of the ones we've had for the last 20 years.

Like I know Duursma didn't play last night... but seeing Ports 2018 draft dominate now and for the forseeable future while they were pick 5, 12 and 18 and yet our lauded 2020 haul from 8, 9 and 10 will be lucky to be as good together as one of Ports picks... * me that's depressing.

It's amazing we've drafted so s**t and people want argubly one of 3 best top ten picks of the last 20 years to * off, and no we're not getting Harley Reid with 2 picks in our range and first next year when GWS can trump that easily if west coast cash in.

He had 7 tackles last night, equal second on the ground with Drew while Rozee had 9.

1. Those kids are mids ours are talls, you need 5-6 years before you’ll know what they’ll be
2. Go and look at rozee’s stats for the first 3 years while he played half forward, very similar to Perkins. Playing half forward is the death position.

There was a passage in the second which sums him up. Weid was in the ruck, and had a run on the ball forward of centre. Parish's eyes light up and he comes in from the side, impeding Weideman's run and he takes the ball back into traffic with a handball, stopping a certain i50 with 6 on 6. Stat ✅
Stopped redoing after “Weid was in the ruck”.

1. Those kids are mids ours are talls, you need 5-6 years before you’ll know what they’ll be
2. Go and look at rozee’s stats for the first 3 years while he played half forward, very similar to Perkins. Playing half forward is the death position.
I believe in Perkins, hopefully he can get close to the level of the Port boys, I really hope so.

Cox feels like he and our coaching staff have no ****ing idea what his position is, his rookie year feels like a lifetime away now.

Reid can't even get on the park, feels like Gumby all over again.

Yeah he should * off and than we can boo him next year like it was his solely his choice and not us wanting him to leave so we can waste another top ten pick like 90% of the ones we've had for the last 20 years.

Like I know Duursma didn't play last night... but seeing Ports 2018 draft dominate now and for the forseeable future while they were pick 5, 12 and 18 and yet our lauded 2020 haul from 8, 9 and 10 will be lucky to be as good together as one of Ports picks... * me that's depressing.

It's amazing we've drafted so s**t and people want argubly one of 3 best top ten picks of the last 20 years to * off, and no we're not getting Harley Reid with 2 picks in our range and first next year when GWS can trump that easily if west coast cash in.

You can't really compare picks spent in different draft classes. Port built in the 2018 draft, we sold everything to bring in Dylan ****ing Shiel who can't even impact as a sub.

I believe in Perkins, hopefully he can get close to the level of the Port boys, I really hope so.

Cox feels like he and our coaching staff have no ******* idea what his position is, his rookie year feels like a lifetime away now.

Reid can't even get on the park, feels like Gumby all over again.
Yeh still they’re talls. They need time. Obviously the injuries don’t help. But you can’t compare them to small mids

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back