Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

There hasn't been many.
Here's a bit of a list of Geelong players that went to another AFL side (not complete list)

F Evans
Narkle
Ratogolea
Vardy
Cockatoo
L McCarthy - Been good for Brisbane
C Stephens
J Hamling - Decent for Freo
Thurlow
Menzel
Christensen
M Brown
J Caddy - Excellent for Richmond
D Lang
S Motlop - Free agent, decent at Port
Djerrkurra
R Gamble
L Fogarty
T Gillies
T Hunt
J Laidler
T Varcoe - Decent for the Pies
T West
W Buzza
G Horlin -Smith
S Kersten
J Murdoch
D Simpson
B Smedts
J Walker - OK at Bris and North
J Simpkin
J Jones
C Constable
D Fort
N Kreuger
J Clark - Playing really well at Freo.

I'd say Jordan Clark is the worst one. I think this was more Matty Scarlett's fault, as (apparently) he did not want him in the backline when he was defensive coach.
Really, apart from Ablett (offered such a sack of cash he just couldn't say No), Kelly (personal circumstances), and Clark (returning home in a bit of a sook)....who could we really say we lost in the last 10-15 years that we were desperate to keep, and who played genuinely well elsewhere?

McCarthy possibly, but IIRC he was injury prone with us. A few others were okay at other clubs, but not exactly rubbing our noses in it.

The best thing for us is that we play second.

So we see how Sydney turn up. And then the team get's gee'd up seeing who will be in the GF.

With that, I doubt we start flat.

All those years we started off flat in finals, if you recall, quite a few were when we were the first team to play in that round.
I would be disappointed if the side spent a lot of time thinking about a GF before we even got through a prelim

Really, apart from Ablett (offered such a sack of cash he just couldn't say No), Kelly (personal circumstances), and Clark (returning home in a bit of a sook)....who could we really say we lost in the last 10-15 years that we were desperate to keep, and who played genuinely well elsewhere?

McCarthy possibly, but IIRC he was injury prone with us. A few others were okay at other clubs, but not exactly rubbing our noses in it.
Josh Caddy.

Kelly got us Cameron which got us a flag.

Ablett (huge) and Clark (moderate) are the two notable ones.

McCarthy would have been handy before 2022.

We had a contract in front of McCarthy but he wanted to head north to play alongside his mate in Neale

Besides, we turned one of the picks we got for McCarthy into Rohan and the latter played an important role in our 2022 finals run

I know there's an element of frustration with the loss of Linc, but to me at least, upon reflection it's pretty close to a win/win for both clubs

Resigned to to staying home, after 4 days of frustrating mistakes between Cats and Ticketek, Being dependant on their call backs to get wheelchair seat is a horrible system.
Finally, Success.
Just as news came through my grandson has been selected to play the Austkick half time.
Go you good things.

Jordan Clark made the AA squad this year.

But overall I understand what you're saying, and the 22nd player picked each week probably doesn't have a huge impact on the result. Which is why I will try not to melt when Bews is picked this week despite me thinking he is a poor selection.
Go home factor more than anything.

We had a contract in front of McCarthy but he wanted to head north to play alongside his mate in Neale

Besides, we turned one of the picks we got for McCarthy into Rohan and the latter played an important role in our 2022 finals run

I know there's an element of frustration with the loss of Linc, but to me at least, upon reflection it's pretty close to a win/win for both clubs

Lincoln was decimated with injury, which we saw him through, being the good guys we are. I think we were happy to see him go to somewhere he wouldn't be on the periphery. No regrets.
Menzel was another I think, did he go the the Swans or Crows? past his best though unfortunately.

Lincoln was decimated with injury, which we saw him through, being the good guys we are. I think we were happy to see him go to somewhere he wouldn't be on the periphery. No regrets.
Menzel was another I think, did he go the the Swans or Crows? past his best though unfortunately.
Swans

Well the day is slowly approaching and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel some nerves already.

A lot of the “experts” tipping the Lions. I wouldn’t be surprised if they roll us either but we are in a bloody good position here and I hope we don’t waste it.
None of the expects tipped us to flog the power either...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won't ever know. But if he was playing regularly, I don't think he would have left.
Perhaps. But there’s certainly not enough evidence there to say this was a failure of Chris Scott to play a young player.

We won't ever know. But if he was playing regularly, I don't think he would have left.
I can recall reports suggesting Matty Scarlett, defensive coach at the time, did not want him in the backline.
This was a the time we were playing the most boring awful kick sideways, kick backwards slow shit footy ever witnessed.

I really disagree on this.

Scott and the associated MC have consistently shown faith in younger players and not been afraid to move veterans on against their will.

They've consistently backed in guys like Zuthrie, Dempsey, Humphries, Clark, De Koning, Holmes, Bruhn and Neale over the last few years and we've reaped the dividends.

Even in 2011 - a different coach would have played Blake, Milburn, Byrnes and Mooney over Bundy, West, Duncan and Hawkins.
Scott has certainly changed in that respect

The Scott of a few years back would have been reluctant to play the younger folk

I can recall reports suggesting Matty Scarlett, defensive coach at the time, did not want him in the backline.
This was a the time we were playing the most boring awful kick sideways, kick backwards slow shit footy ever witnessed.
Was made even more odd a call as profile wise at time had a gap of blokes like Clarke

What did we get for him in the trade to Freo?

Perhaps. But there’s certainly not enough evidence there to say this was a failure of Chris Scott to play a young player.
Is he not an example of a young player that wasn't being picked, who then moved on to greater opportunity and success?

TBH It's not that common for players from any club to move due lack of opportunity and then flourish, not just Geelong. They definitely exist. But most young players moving clubs either 1. move for opportunity after not being wanted by their original club and then fail, or 2. move despite being wanted by their original club and then succeed.

Scott has certainly changed in that respect

The Scott of a few years back would have been reluctant to play the younger folk
I really disagree with that, too. Looking back at it, Miers, Simpson, Parfitt, Esava, Jack Henry, O'Connor all had significant faith shown in them arguably before their VFL performances merited it.

It's not like we have had the next Bartel just banging down the door.

Josh Caddy.
we were not desperate to keep him, and he certainly did not play as a mid at Tigerland, but more as an opportunistic hf. He left us to get more MF minutes. Sure, got 2 flags, very opportunistic.

I really disagree with that, too. Looking back at it, Miers, Simpson, Parfitt, Esava, Jack Henry, O'Connor all had significant faith shown in them arguably before their VFL performances merited it.

It's not like we have had the next Bartel just banging down the door.
Yeah fair points

It's interesting perceptions but I thought Scott 2014 - 18 era was a far more conservative coach than now

With Bews being interviewed about his plans for taming Charlie Cameron it sounds like he's already been given the nod for the team. It's strange the way Geelong sometimes drip feeds selection details ahead of big matches. Bews is on the fringe, is it really a good idea to let your opposition know about your plans before they need to know?
or smoke and mirrors/srorrim yet again

Last edited:
Keep 'em guessing Scotty, maybe we WILL play two players who haven't played AFL football in 3-4 months in a Grand Final.
Season 6 Reaction GIF by Parks and Recreation

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back