Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - revives his career w/ B2B tagging performances vs NDaicos vs CFC & COliver (10d) vs MFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Bont did an absolute number on Daicos at the stoppages in the second half when the Dogs beat the Pies. Totally shut him out of any footy around stoppages while he kept winning it himself.

I worry we don’t have a matchup to go with Bont.
No one has a match for Bontompelli. Control what you can control. Limit Libba and Treloar. Let LDU go against Bont. Be good to watch.

I don't understand why we never tried to develop Luke in other roles. We paid a high price then made him a career back pocket. Atley was same. No development.
Atley had pace and even his skills were good however his decision making was poor. Seemed to birst free then looked like a possum caught on a set of headlights, he would hesitate then chose poorly.

Sort of needed a role where the thinking was taken away. Bit like lmac really.

Will looks pretty creative and is decisive with ball in hand. Powell, sheez and to a lesser extent so is wardlaw. Quick scan of the scenario then bang. Sheezel even reads the play before it unfolds.

Atley had pace and even his skills were good however his decision making was poor. Seemed to birst free then looked like a possum caught on a set of headlights, he would hesitate then chose poorly.

Sort of needed a role where the thinking was taken away. Bit like lmac really.

That is because he was an inside mid, where you play on instinct. Completely wasted him.

No one has a match for Bontompelli. Control what you can control. Limit Libba and Treloar. Let LDU go against Bont. Be good to watch.
I reckon we should rotate players on and off him. Phil will be very predictable. I’d like to see Wardlaw go straight to him he loves a bit of lip and niggle. In fact I wouldn’t be against sending X to him at the first centre bounce and have Teakle contest the centre bounce. Unconventional yes, work who knows, but definately get in their heads.

I reckon we should rotate players on and off him. Phil will be very predictable. I’d like to see Wardlaw go straight to him he loves a bit of lip and niggle. In fact I wouldn’t be against sending X to him at the first centre bounce and have Teakle contest the centre bounce. Unconventional yes, work who knows, but definately get in their heads.
Yes, let's mess with the system that has lead us to playing 4 weeks of playing very good football.

Yes, let's mess with the system that has lead us to playing 4 weeks of playing very good football.
Bont is hot and cold and while he is in good form at present, Phillips should go straight to Libba. Do you seriously think tagging an opposition player is the reason for our form turn around?

Bont is hot and cold and while he is in good form at present, Phillips should go straight to Libba. Do you seriously think tagging an opposition player is the reason for our form turn around?
I agree Phillips should tag Libba. Yes, I think the introduction of Phillips as a tagger is one of the things that has contributed to our improvement the Pies game would have very different without Phillips tag on Daicos.

I'd give him 2 years. Worth persisting with vs trade value but the club will have an honest chat as to where he sits in the pecking order. He clearly doesn't want to leave and that was my thought all along so we'll see what happens.
Even if he plays VFL you still need some strong players in your VFL team to guide the younger kids coming through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand why we never tried to develop Luke in other roles. We paid a high price then made him a career back pocket. Atley was same. No development.
He was being used on a wing during the first Covid year.

Oliver never needed a tag. He did do a good job on him but do you think he'd stop 2022 Oliver? Certainly not hardship, this time last year he played two good games in a row and you were one of the fools saying he's our next captain!!!! Real test will be against the bont.

There probably wasn’t a tagging job done in the entire 2022 season, it’s been out of vogue for about 8 years, so maybe Oliver’s best seasons were inflationary anyway.

Tagging seems to be back in fashion though, and Will is doing a great job of it. Not sure if anyone has ever successfully tagged Bont, so I wouldn’t measure Will on that.

There probably wasn’t a tagging job done in the entire 2022 season, it’s been out of vogue for about 8 years, so maybe Oliver’s best seasons were inflationary anyway.

Tagging seems to be back in fashion though, and Will is doing a great job of it. Not sure if anyone has ever successfully tagged Bont, so I wouldn’t measure Will on that.
🤣 Phillips taking on the Bont would be like a dingo taking on a puma.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back