Past #26: Tarryn Thomas [Part III] - 18 week suspension confirmed; ineligible to play in '24 season; NMFC has officially sacked Tarryn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Already had two clubs make contact with his manager
Let them talk.

From The Age "Thomas cannot join another club until at least the off-season, and must undergo, and satisfactorily progress in, an AFL-approved behavioural program before being allowed to play football at any level."

I can't see Laura Kane ticking off on some half-arsed program that allows TT to just skate to another club and based on his attitude I can't see TT being willing to do what is required. It will take a massive shift in attitude from Tarryn to be allowed anywhere near the AFL again.

Surprisingly not actually -
Essendon and Sydney are the two interested parties, though it’s believed his preference is to rain in Melbourne
Not surprised essendon is one of those clubs either.

So based on previous outcomes, he'll make a statement, stay in trouble and get fat?

Probably. Jokes aside though, he is at a crossroads moment that will alter the course of his life. He can stay fit, keep out of trouble, go dominate a VFL/SANFL/WAFL for a year and get back into the AFL and still have a good career and earn a lot of money.

Or he can sook it up, take the $650-$750k that he’s on for this year, party, continue the behaviour that got him essentially kicked out of the AFL, burn through the money, get a job, go play for a local team for a couple of grand a week. Construction sites are full of blokes that do that. It’s not a bad life, but it’s not what he could have if he wants it.

It’s still telling for mine that the allegations were brought to the afl and not to the police

That seems ridiculous to me

and could meant a much different outcome here as likely there is no criminal charge

and also happening right after he broke up again with the single mum ex. Got a revenge feel to it to ruin his career

It’s still telling for mine that the allegations were brought to the afl and not to the police

and could meant a much different outcome here as likely there is no criminal charge

and also happening right after he broke up again with the single mum ex. Got a revenge feel to it to ruin his career

We don’t know what happened, but I’m tipping that North wouldn’t have sacked him if it was as trivial as you assume.

We don’t know what happened, but I’m tipping that North wouldn’t have sacked him if it was as trivial as you assume.
Straw that broke the camels back

So in line with the stuff he did last year but with consequences more severe this time time due to doing the courses and pledging that he had changed his behaviour towards women

But still not criminal charge worthy

Look end of the day we did the morally right thing, I think technically we could have kept him post his suspension and assuming he stayed clean over those 18 weeks but he broke trust and it wouldn’t have been a great look especially with our aflw program etc

It is telling I think that neither the AFLPA or his representatives have disputed the seriousness of the allegations, but rather sought for the length of them to be shortened, to, I think it was mentioned somewhere, to 12 weeks.

The NMFC acted as they should have in light of their knowledge, both of what happened in the past and now the repeat misdemeanours.

Straw that broke the camels back

So in line with the stuff he did last year but with consequences more severe this time time due to doing the courses and pledging that he had changed his behaviour towards women

But still not criminal charge worthy

Look end of the day we did the morally right thing, I think technically we could have kept him post his suspension and assuming he stayed clean over those 18 weeks but he broke trust and it wouldn’t have been a great look especially with our aflw program etc

You’re basically saying that the club sacked him because of the optics. I disagree with that. I wouldn’t put that past the AFL, but the club has proven they don’t play that game by standing by Clarko and also Thomas himself.

He ****ed up and he (and honestly us members) paid the price.

You’re basically saying that the club sacked him because of the optics. I disagree with that. I wouldn’t put that past the AFL, but the club has proven they don’t play that game by standing by Clarko and also Thomas himself.

He ****ed up and he (and honestly us members) paid the price.
Sacked him due to doing the same thing again

So yes optics from the point of view that they can’t look like he did the same thing and gets off after a suspension after we tried changing the behaviour

Sacked him due to doing the same thing again

So yes optics from the point of view that they can’t look like he did the same thing and gets off after a suspension after we tried changing the behaviour
Nah its cos he disrespected the club and the people who put the effort into helping him. Its not optics. If it was he'd have gone last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we are saying the same thing in 2 different ways
Maybe. But imo its not about what the footy public see, its about how we treat the people in the club who put themselves out to help him and were disrespected by his actions. And imo that's not optics, its genuine support and respect for our people.

You have the same thought process that drives Thomas to his actions

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You have the same thought process that drives Thomas to his actions

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
How so?

What tarryn should have done is not engaged with the ex to begin with

He stupidly responded and not only stupidly responded but responded abusively as opposed to either ignoring or responding smarter and more maturely

Who cares what others might say about us sometime down the track? This is not the real issue here.

The real issue is that of how people in relationships with other people, treat one another and in this case from what hear, elements of domestic violence. For whatever the reason, this has been a very disrespectful relationship and such has been the nature. the
The AFL received a complaint and have investigated it under their Respect and Responsibility Policy. Here is a link to the Policy

Significantly, that Policy among other matters has a "Greater focus on victim welfare". It also states that (victims can also remain anonymous if they wish). Surely that is an inviolable right in matters investigated under the AFL's Policy.

That is in fact absolutely key to the investigation of any Complaint under these guidelines and has been pointed out earlier, that in the absence of the ability for a victim to remain anonymous, many victims simply choose to remain silent and end up suffering without justice, in whatever form that might be, for the rest of their lives.

Clearly we do not know just how serious the actions of any of the parties in this very sad situation might have been. Hopefully they are nothing like, and on balance of probability are not, what we have seen going through the Courts in recent times.

But notwithstanding, for this process to have proceeded in a proper fashion within the AFL's guidelines, confidentiality/anonymity of the matters are absolutely paramount for the health and wellbeing of all parties to be best protected.

It seems to me that it is rather ironic that a group of nuffies on an internet forum, who enjoy the anonymity of their poster names to largely post whatever they want, should be demanding to know who said/wrote/did what on whatever medium was used, so that said nuffies can simply satisfy themselves that everything is above board, firstly at an AFL level and then secondly at our club level.

What a bunch of pompous entitled b******* such nuffies are.
I don't know how many times I have to say... Redaction

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably. Jokes aside though, he is at a crossroads moment that will alter the course of his life. He can stay fit, keep out of trouble, go dominate a VFL/SANFL/WAFL for a year and get back into the AFL and still have a good career and earn a lot of money.

Or he can sook it up, take the $650-$750k that he’s on for this year, party, continue the behaviour that got him essentially kicked out of the AFL, burn through the money, get a job, go play for a local team for a couple of grand a week. Construction sites are full of blokes that do that. It’s not a bad life, but it’s not what he could have if he wants it.
he cant play VFL. l am not sure on the SANFL or WAFL leagues though...Maybe someone else can clarify this..

"Thomas has been suspended for 18 AFL matches and has been suspended from participating in any other football competition at any level until 22 July 2024", the League said

Have a read of the statement on the AFL Website, which states

"The AFL investigation found Thomas had "engaged in multiple acts of misconduct including threatening a woman via direct messages multiple times", and was thus guilty of several breaches of the AFL's conduct unbecoming rules.

North's footy boss Todd Viney said the club had no regrets about the way they'd handled Thomas.

"I can't read Tarryn’s mind, but from my point of view, there's two Tarryns. There's the one we see day-to-day and there's the one who when he's in a relationship, he has some troubles in dealing with relationship issues," Viney said.

"Hand on heart, I can put my head on the pillow and think we as a club have supported our player. He's one of us, we took him as a 17-year-old, we know he had a challenging upbringing and background. And hand on heart, we thought we could help educate him, put him in contact with some of the best people in the state around respect and responsibility, social media and the like.

"We just didn't get the result. Would we do anything different? No, we'd support our people and give them the opportunity to learn and get better."

The fact that criminal charges have not been laid is irrelevant to how the AFL and any disciplinary body for that matter might arrive under their rules to apply a sanction in matters like this.

This is a societal issue, that unfortunately it seems too many males, still do not seem to understand and that is, it is not, it never was and never will be appropriate for any member of society to indulge in abuse of another member of society of the nature that Thomas is alleged to have directed at an ex-partner or partners.

The fact that criminal charges have not been llaid is irrelevant to how the AFL and any disciplinary body for that matter might arrive under their rules to apply a sanction in matters like this.

This is a societal issue, that unfortunately it seems too many males, still do not seem to understand and that is, it is not, it never was and never will be appropriate for any member of society to indulge in abuse of another member of society of the nature that Thomas is alleged to have directed at an ex-partner or partners.
My point is the ex knew what she was doing going to the afl instead of the police

If she goes to the police likely all that would have occurred is maybe another fine

And afl would leave it at that as police dealt with it and thomas free to play

Go to the afl and maybe can ruin his career as the afl can’t keep being seen to let something like this slide

She's a human being. Please stop referring to her as 'the single mum'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back