Past #24: Levi Greenwood - officially traded to Collingwood FC for pick 25 (2014) - retires rd16 2021 due to concussion symptoms - go well Pig

Remove this Banner Ad

funny how so many people wrote him off last year after his first few games. I for one have always believed that this kid would make it. He will have an impact this year believe me!

Happy to put the hand up and say I wrote him off after his first 3 games. Looked slow, lost and generally so far from it that it wasn't funny.

I won't say I wrote him off but he fair dinkum looked like a rabbit in headlights in those first 3 games.

Now he has belief and I suspect he is just warming up....

I reckon he's a star. I actually rang up on sen today to voice my opinion on him. He throws himself in to contests as hard as I've seen and he has absolute confidence in himself. I really hope his good form continues

Classic example of giving a kid a role as a tagger to hasten their development.

If you're sticking on the hip of a Judd or a Dal Santo, at least you're getting taken to the ball a lot.

Now Levi can make the next step.

He will be a key part of our next flag and I reckon will get one of the loudest cheers of all when he is presented with his medal.

Classic example of giving a kid a role as a tagger to hasten their development.

If you're sticking on the hip of a Judd or a Dal Santo, at least you're getting taken to the ball a lot.

Now Levi can make the next step.

He will be a key part of our next flag and I reckon will get one of the loudest cheers of all when he is presented with his medal.

This.
Fantastic point mate, It's a great learning curve and being a tagger isn't always a bad thing for a young bloke starting out. You are always around the action and your opponent usually gets pissed off at you nagging and scragging him all game, then you can accumulate a few possys and be damaging yourself. Now we can release Brady to defence and unleash the beast and put the fear of life into these sissy arsed midfielders who run around thinking they can get cheap kicks wherever they want.... NOT ANYMORE!

I won't say I wrote him off but he fair dinkum looked like a rabbit in headlights in those first 3 games.

Now he has belief and I suspect he is just warming up....

Just the first 2 wasn't it ?

M'eh. The lesson to take away from that is the same regardless.

It looked like Greenwood has developed a more attacking edge to his game rather than just being a tagger as he won a lot more of his own ball on the weekend. I reckon you guys have a keeper here for sure, tough as nails too.

As an u/18 he was an attacking, allrounder, not a tagger.

His kicking skills have always been very good.

He could be one of the most dangerous of his type in a couple of years.

It can't be understated what a difference he has made to the team. There aren't many in the team that I fully trust when they get the ball but he is one of them.

I think he could end up being our best player in a couple of years and is captaincy material.

Just blown away by his development.

I'm also a big fan of The Levi - he has a manic look in his eyes, which is a great attribute...but also has really good one-touch skills...he was very much front and center in the 3 quater time blue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is one that I have to put my hand up about and say I was wrong. I couldn't see a future for him after his first 5 games. But his games since the return this year have, as you say, underscored his importance - a genuine hard nut with pretty damn good skills!

Completely shut down the highly rated Trengove for the first 3 quarters. Trengove didn't get his first kick until the 20 minute mark of the 3rd quarter. Then was switched on to the bloke that sparked Melbournes comeback in the 3rd quarter, Aaron Davey, and shut him down.

IMO, his game was ever bit as impressive as Patchs game.

In regards to the calls for Cunners' head from some posters - and it's been brought up before - Greenwood's first few games at AFL were deadset shithouse and I'm sure there are posters who would say they had him written off.

Cunnington hasn't even been that shithouse - he's a first year player. Admittedly, he has looked slow & he's been caught with the ball a few times in games so far, but if we use Levi's situation as a precedent - and Cunnington arguably more talented than Levi - can we please not be so quick to judge our young players on their first few games?

I know this is largely a futile exercise as this board has such a high concentration of absolute ****wits who are going to continue to write off young players based on their first games of AFL football, but it's worth noting the comparisons between Greenwood & Ben.

I thought Cunnington was good last night.

He was far better than his first two games.

Should not leave the team for the rest of the season IMO.

Levi was awful in his first few. Deer in headlights, got caught with the ball a lot, & turned it over left, right & centre etc etc.

Cunners isn't awful by a long stretch. Has done some very nice work in packs. A few turnovers but he's hardly alone in that regard. Biggest problem right now is he simply isn't finding that much of the ball. Wouldn't mind if he goes to the VFL do find some touch but I suspect the coaches will stick with him. The best thing for our developing midfield is to get games together & learn to work with each other.

People baffle me.

Why did his second game, which was average, get lumped with his first which was clearly a good first up effort in which he looked comfortable and composed in a hot game?

Last night he did some very outstanding things for an 18yo against a rampant midfield. I love Levi, but I think Cunnington is a few levels above.

People baffle me.

Why did his second game, which was average, get lumped with his first which was clearly a good first up effort in which he looked comfortable and composed in a hot game?

Last night he did some very outstanding things for an 18yo against a rampant midfield. I love Levi, but I think Cunnington is a few levels above.

That may well turn out to be the case. Just for the sake of clarification, my point at the time wasn't to draw comparisons between the two, but simply to highlight that making definitive calls on a player after 2 games is an incredibly foolish pursuit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #24: Levi Greenwood - officially traded to Collingwood FC for pick 25 (2014) - retires rd16 2021 due to concussion symptoms - go well Pig

Remove this Banner Ad

Back