21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Possibly Gunston too, but all of them have flaws. Gunston is 193cm but plays like a medium forward, Darling's stats are not particularly good and McKay is always injured and misses a lot of his set shots.

Basically it is at the point now where if you want a key forward you are going to have to accept compromises.
Yeah, but I'm not selecting on potential. Just on performances up to date.
No doubt in 5-6 years barring injuries, JUH would be top tier.

See peak doesn't really work as there are a few players that had an amazing season or two but the rest of their careers were pretty unremarkable. You can't really judge a player just on their peak. If you did then Travis Cloke would have been in the top 30 chosen, and Chad Wingard would be right up there too.
Peak and how long it was sustained then. Potential only gets you so far.

I had his listed mate as he was part of my greater plan/preferred structure.

I thought he might make it through to my 2nd pick from here.

All class he was
Yeah, I had similar.

Peak and how long it was sustained then. Potential only gets you so far.

True, but I rate JUH's potential over anything Jack Darling has produced in his actual career.

Not sure why but I just never rated Gunston that much. He was a good player if he had the oppositions 3rd tall defender, but he struggled more against the better defenders.

I think we should be voting on teams at the end
Yeah, when I run these i normally get everyone to rank the other teams from 1-16 in this case. Lowest score wins.

True, but I rate JUH's potential over anything Jack Darling has produced in his actual career.

Not sure why but I just never rated Gunston that much. He was a good player if he had the oppositions 3rd tall defender, but he struggled more against the better defenders.
I rate what players have produced, not what they "could produce".

I rate what players have produced, not what they "could produce".

Just slightly different philosophies which is okay. I never would have picked JUH over some established star key forwards, but all the established star key forwards are now gone. I needed to rely on potential a bit more with this pick. I did the same thing with Sam Taylor a bit, though he has proven more due to being older.

I firmly believe though that Sam Taylor could be considered at Scarlet's and Rance's level by the time he retires and JUH could easily be up there with Hawkins, Kennedy and the Riewoldt's.

Westside Pavlovas select Jesse Hogan.

Take out his two awful years at Freo and this guy has been a very consistent goal scorer. Was great back in some awful Melbourne sides and at GWS has gradually returned to being that excellent focal point.

I strongly considered McKay, Gunston and Darling. We needed a tall target man to straighten us up and Hogan best fits the bill. Pavlich/Hogan as our key forward pair has serious potential.

P.S I completely agree with eth-dog philosophy on output vs potential. For me at the very least they need to have proven themselves to be top calibre in their position and not just extremely likely to be. But fine with others approaches - personally I'll be ranking teams with known quantities higher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just slightly different philosophies which is okay. I never would have picked JUH over some established star key forwards, but all the established star key forwards are now gone. I needed to rely on potential a bit more with this pick. I did the same thing with Sam Taylor a bit, though he has proven more due to being older.

I firmly believe though that Sam Taylor could be considered at Scarlet's and Rance's level by the time he retires and JUH could easily be up there with Hawkins, Kennedy and the Riewoldt's.
Taylor is more of a known quantity. Already one of the very best in his position, 100+ games etc.

Westside Pavlovas select Jesse Hogan.

Take out his two awful years at Freo and this guy has been a very consistent goal scorer. Was great back in some awful Melbourne sides and at GWS has gradually returned to being that excellent focal point.

I strongly considered McKay, Gunston and Darling. We needed a tall target man to straighten us up and Hogan best fits the bill. Pavlich/Hogan as our key forward pair has serious potential.

P.S I completely agree with eth-dog philosophy on output vs potential. For me at the very least they need to have proven themselves to be top calibre in their position and not just extremely likely to be. But fine with others approaches - personally I'll be ranking teams with known quantities higher.
I had admittedly forgotten about Jesse too.

FB: Stewart ? ?
HB: ? Sicily ?
C: ? Goodwin ?
HF: ? Pavlich ?
FF: ? Hogan ?
FOL: ? Selwood Harvey

How I'm looking so far. I really did want some dynamic forward/mids by this stage (someone to swap with Harvey...gutted at Greene/Gray being picked up recently) but there's a lot to juggle.
Very good side I’d play Goodwin half back or wing and hunt another pure midfielder later.

FB: Stewart ? ?
HB: ? Sicily ?
C: ? Goodwin ?
HF: ? Pavlich ?
FF: ? Hogan ?
FOL: ? Selwood Harvey

How I'm looking so far. I really did want some dynamic forward/mids by this stage (someone to swap with Harvey...gutted at Greene/Gray being picked up recently) but there's a lot to juggle.

It is a really good start to a team. If I had to be really critical, and this is me being too critical really, Sicily is not great with the bigger key forwards and Stewart, while an amazing intercepter is not a beast of a key defender either.

Pavlich and Hogan are good key forwards too, but neither are the sort who could really rip another team apart.

Again though, that is me being too harsh. It is a quality spine.

We're very fond of Oakleigh Chargers so we're selecting one of their players, we think will be the best midfielder of the this century thus far.
I reckon it's Wardlaw

I'd be taking JUH before Darling too. As an avid Eagles fan.

Great pick mate. You'll be getting votes from me.

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back