896219-shane-tuck.jpg

Date of Birth: 24/12/1981 (Age: 28)
Sex: Male
Number: 21
Height: 189cm
Weight: 92kg

Draft History

Draft Number: #24 2000 Rookie Draft Hawthorn / #73 2003 AFL Draft Richmond
Recruited from: Drouin/Dandenong U18/West Adelaide (SA)
Position: Midfield
Debuted: July 3rd, 2004 v Brisbane Lions - Lost 96 to 114

Player Pedigree:

Father:
Michael Tuck - Played for Hawthorn from 1972 to 1991 - 426 Games - 320 Goals
Brother:
Travis Tuck - Played for Hawthorn from 2006 to 2010 - 20 Games - 1 Goals
Uncle:
Gary Ablett Senior - Played for Hawthorn in 1982 - 6 Games - 9 Goals - Played for Geelong from 1984 to 1996 - 242 Games - 1021 Goals
Kevin Ablett - Played for Hawthorn from 1977 to 1980 - 32 Games - 22 Goals - Played for Richmond in 1984 - 5 Games - Played for Geelong in 1985 - 2 Games
Geoff Ablett - Played for Hawthorn from 1973 to 1982 - 202 Games - 135 Goals - Played for Richmond from 1983 to 1984 - 16 Games - 12 Goals - Played for St Kilda in 1985 - 11 Games - 6 Goals
Cousins:
Gary Ablett Junior - Played for Geelong from 2002 to 2010 - 192 Games - 206 Goals - Currently plays for Gold Coast Suns - 2011 onwards
Nathan Ablett - Played for Geelong from 2005 to 2007 - 32 Games - 46 Goals - Currently plays for Gold Cost Suns - 2011 onwards
Luke Ablett - Played for Sydney from 2002 to 2009 - 126 Games - 34 Goals

Honours

Maurie Fleming Medal Best & Fairest, 2005
Maurie Fleming Medal Best & Fairest, 2007
Jack Titus Medal Best & Fairest, 2009
Kevin Bartlett Medal Best & Fairest 2010
Fred Swift Medal Best & Fairest 2012
CGU Unsung Hero of the Year 2012

Brownlow Votes

2005 - 8 votes
2006 - 4 votes
2007 - 2 votes
2008 - 5 votes
2009 - 2 votes
2010 - 4 votes
2011 - 0 votes
2012 - 10 votes
Total - 35 votes

Player Biography

Shane is a durable, honest and hardworking midfielder who puts his body on the line at each and every contest. The son of Hawthorn legend, Michael Tuck, Shane was rooked with Hawthorn for 3 years but did not play a senior game due to his irregular heartbeat. He was subsequently delisted and moved to South Australia to play in the SANFL with West Adelaide under the watching eye of Shaun Rehn. After an unsuccessful stint at the Hawks due to his irregular heartbeat, Richmond swooped late in the 2003 NAB AFL Draft to use their last pick on Shane and have not been disappointed since.

After debuting in 2004, he has been a constant fixture of the Richmond side, having played 130 games in the past 6 years.

His form has consistently seen him feature amongst the top 10 of the Jack Dyer Medal count for the last six seasons.

The 2008 season was a particularly good one for Shane. Finishing 2nd in the Jack Dyer Medal, he led the club for handballs (318), tackles (84), hard ball gets (119), loose ball gets (49) and averaged 25 disposals per game.

Season 2009 was very similar to 2008 with consistent performances week in week at an average of 28 disposals per game. Despite his effort, he was asked to be traded by the football department. When no other club showed interest in Shane, he was retained on the list and was worked on in the pre-season. And thank goodness right?

After being on the outer with new coach Damien Hardwick at the start of the 2010 season, Shane forced his way into the team by Round 3 and never looked back, collecting 30 plus possessions on six occasions. His attack on the ball and ability to find the football forced the club to reward him with a new contract for season 2011.

2011 was a lean year for Shane Tuck. Having been sent back to work on his defensive aspect of the game, he only played 10 games for the year. He was granted another 1 year contract for 2012.

2012 proved to be a very important year for Shane Tuck. Not only did he let his football do all of the talking but he played all 22 games - something that he has not done since 2008. 2012 was spectacular - age shall not weary him. He is still the same battle horse with a slight defensive perspective. Perhaps the best way to describe him is like a bottle of wine. As he ages, he gets better and he is in vintage form at the moment. Again, like 2011, he was granted a one year extension despite talks that he lost his drive closer to the end of the season.

Despite all of this, it has been discussed and commented that his disposal ability is poor. Some poster have commented that it's not his kicking disposal that is poor but rather he is the type that would put boot to ball in the heat of the moment and because his brain is not working at a rate of that of an elite midfielder.

On the other hand, he is a a hardworking player and is one of the cogs of the Richmond midfielders with his extraction of the football and his hard ball get. He can be likened to a warhorse with his ability to charge into the thick of it and not get worried about being injured. He is possible one of the most courageous and determined player I have ever seen.

In my honest opinion, Shane will probably not play in a Premiership at all. His primary duty is to fulfill a role before the younger players can step up into his position. No matter what other people say, he deserves a spot in the list. He has worked harder than most of the other players during the wilderness years under Terry Wallace. I expect him to retire in 2014.

Media Release

Herald Sun Article - More zip in Tuck - June 3, 2010
NO PLAYER appreciated Richmond's breakthrough win last weekend more than club stalwart Shane Tuck.

Herald Sun Article - Richmond offers Shane Tuck a new contract at Punt Road - July 28, 2010
The Tigers are in the process of keeping Tuck on their list for at least one, and possibly another two years, with a performance trigger attached.

ABC Grandstand - Interview: Shane Tuck - August 1, 2010
Richmond asked Shane to be traded in which Shane agreed.
He felt that in the last six weeks of the year, people wrote him off which subsequently turned other clubs off.
Damien worked with him overt the summer and Shane could not ask for any more.
Mindset was to remain positive and to try and not get down over it.
His father, Michael, hardly misses any games that Shane and Travis plays in.

Richmond FC - Coaches' View: Richmond - December 14, 2010
He was super for us last year after starting out probably thinking he wouldn't play many games. As we did last year, we'll throw him around and he'll play all over the place again. We know what we get from Tucky; he's honest, he gives everything he's got and you can't ask for more than that.

Unlucky Shane Tuck still on outer at Richmond

RICHMOND onballer Shane Tuck is set to be overlooked again by the Tigers despite his remarkable season last year.

Shane Tuck's retirement plans on hold

SHANE Tuck walked into Damien Hardwick's office with his retirement speech ready to go. A miserable 2011 season was coming to an end. One that had seen a regular of the Richmond midfield reduced to a regular of Coburg's

Q & A

Coach's favourite saying: Low and behold
Coach's pet: Chris Newman and Jack Riewoldt
Favourite footy commentator: Dennis Commetti
Whose autograph did you get as a kid? -
Describe your perfect day off: Doing as little as possible
Who inspires you? Stephen Bell
Best advice received: -
What scares you most: Jamie O’Reilly
If you weren’t a footballer, what would you like to be: Builder
First job held: Trolley Pusher
The person you would most like to meet: -
Three things you would like to do after your footy career: -
Greatest non-football achievement: Having kids
How would your best friend describe you? -
One thing you can’t eat: -
What domestic chore do you refuse to do? Dishes
Which event would you prefer to attend, the Olympics or World Cup? World Cup
Favourite Australian personality: Mick Molloy
iPhone, Blackberry or Android: iPhone
Favourite TV show: Sons of Anarchy
Favourite band/musical artist: Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Favourite movie: Avatar

The guy is a gun, but sadly a wasted option in the side, and would take up the space of Conca, or some other young player who could be a potential champion. He's in our best 22, but he probably wont be in 2 years time. the guy is a victim of being in a shit side constantly trying to "rebuild"

The guy is a gun, but sadly a wasted option in the side, and would take up the space of Conca, or some other young player who could be a potential champion. He's in our best 22, but he probably wont be in 2 years time. the guy is a victim of being in a shit side constantly trying to "rebuild"

This. Shane tuck i feel, can easily slot in most team. I feel so bad for him :(

This guy is a gun. Sure he has a couple of flaws in his game but there are plenty of other players in the same boat. I remember last year when the Tigers put in an insipid peformance against Port Adelaide at TIO Stadium, Tuck was one of the only players I was genuinely happy with. He started as a sub and came on in the third quarter and got 16 possessions as well as a couple of big tackles. He attacked the ball ferociously while many of his teammates looked hesitant and this is despite having sore ribs. And guess how he was rewarded? He was dropped for the next eight games :rolleyes:.

He is a terrific clubman and gives his all for the club. Not sure of his current contract status but I'd be happy to see him on the list for another couple of years. The bloke is as hard as nails and one of my favourite Tigers.

He is on a one year contract at the moment so will need to be re-signed to play on next year. Let's hope GWS don't have him on their radar as an out of contract signing - because this is realistically the only way I can see him going anywhere. FWIW I doubt they would be interested with their enormous young talent.

Echo your sentiments - he is one of my favourite tigers, and always has been. Whispers in the gossip board that the club has offered him one more year and he's holding out for two. Just gotta give it to him I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The big fella was moving beautifully last night, running on top of the ground, full of zip and agility. Ominous signs for opposition sides, Tucky usually doesn't get fully warmed up until June.

He's looking all set for another massive season - surely only a combination of Cotchin stealing too many of his votes, match-fixing and peptides can hold him back from his first Brownlow?

The big fella was moving beautifully last night, running on top of the ground, full of zip and agility. Ominous signs for opposition sides, Tucky usually doesn't get fully warmed up until June.

He's looking all set for another massive season - surely only a combination of Cotchin stealing too many of his votes, match-fixing and peptides can hold him back from his first Brownlow?
Hey ********.. I have never ever put Tuck on the block on this forum.. Have always been a fan. Find a post where I wanted him gone. Had many a passionate argument regarding him as a player for us..
Do yourself a favour and don't make assumptions when posting about me you knob.

Richmond asked Shane to be traded in which Shane agreed.
He felt that in the last six weeks of the year, people wrote him off which subsequently turned other clubs off.
Damien worked with him overt the summer and Shane could not ask for any more.
Mindset was to remain positive and to try and not get down over it.

That was the part I like, where Hardwick who supposedly has had it in for Tuck all along, actually worked with Tuck to help him rectify the areas he needed to work on. Then again I suppose Shane is just saying that to not rock the boat. :rolleyes:

That was the part I like, where Hardwick who supposedly has had it in for Tuck all along, actually worked with Tuck to help him rectify the areas he needed to work on. Then again I suppose Shane is just saying that to not rock the boat. :rolleyes:

Being the head coach of the football club, so he should.

This is a good thread, can we not get it locked? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back