List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

You’d imagine we will be tempted to use one of the picks on Allan or Urqhart? Which of them has the better skills?
Still don’t think our team has enough elite, silky smooth skilled types

Not sure either if very skillful. Both play more inside, than outside although Allan has played on the back flank at WAFL level.

Allan probably the

#2 Luke Urquhart (East Fremantle)
Midfielder | 184cm | 19/09/2006

Stats:
19 disposals, 7 clearances, 11 inside 50s

The heartbeat of Western Australia’s midfield, Urquhart’s energy and run helped launch a barrage of attacks in what the numbers don’t show was a midfield domination. SA may have won the clearance and inside 50 counts, but Urquhart ensured his side made deep entries with his pace and booming kicks. The latter factor was a little awkward at times, especially on the run, and remains something Urquhart can look to work on. Still, he was exciting to watch when attacking through the centre.

#12 Bo Allan (Peel Thunder)
Midfielder | 191cm | 16/02/2006

Stats:
19 disposals, 6 tackles, 5 clearances

Returning to action after sitting out game one with a back injury, Allan slotted straight back into his side’s midfield. The state captain was in the action straight away and notched the game’s first score after cutting off an errant SA kick inside 50. His energetic possessions helped spark stoppage exits and end-to-end transitions, using his speed to advantage while also proving sturdy on the inside at 191cm. Overall, a largely positive first game back for WA’s top talent.

You’d imagine we will be tempted to use one of the picks on Allan or Urqhart? Which of them has the better skills?
Still don’t think our team has enough elite, silky smooth skilled types

Fast and skillful should be all we look for this offseason. Forward, mid and half back.

So I wouldn’t think Allan and Urquhart would be high up on the list.

Not sure either if very skillful. Both play more inside, than outside although Allan has played on the back flank at WAFL level.

Allan probably the

#2 Luke Urquhart (East Fremantle)
Midfielder | 184cm | 19/09/2006

Stats:
19 disposals, 7 clearances, 11 inside 50s

The heartbeat of Western Australia’s midfield, Urquhart’s energy and run helped launch a barrage of attacks in what the numbers don’t show was a midfield domination. SA may have won the clearance and inside 50 counts, but Urquhart ensured his side made deep entries with his pace and booming kicks. The latter factor was a little awkward at times, especially on the run, and remains something Urquhart can look to work on. Still, he was exciting to watch when attacking through the centre.

#12 Bo Allan (Peel Thunder)
Midfielder | 191cm | 16/02/2006

Stats:
19 disposals, 6 tackles, 5 clearances

Returning to action after sitting out game one with a back injury, Allan slotted straight back into his side’s midfield. The state captain was in the action straight away and notched the game’s first score after cutting off an errant SA kick inside 50. His energetic possessions helped spark stoppage exits and end-to-end transitions, using his speed to advantage while also proving sturdy on the inside at 191cm. Overall, a largely positive first game back for WA’s top talent.
184cm for Urquhart last I seen on a draft board he was 190cm or were they wrong?

Still see him as a small forward at the next level

----

As a midfielder, Kako is becoming a serious weapon for the Cannons either as a first hands stoppage winner, or more commonly as a dangerous first receiver who bursts clear and delivers a creative and attacking ball by hand or foot. His accuracy on shots at goal continues to be an issue, but his field kicking is a weapon so perhaps his conversion issues are a case of the yips or a technical flaw that can be addressed.

The only problem would be I doubt we could be the place to address his goal kicking issues. We have great kicks going backwards this year.

I feel like it all stems to the ex Captain and it's rubbing off on the rest of the group.

184cm for Urquhart last I seen on a draft board he was 190cm or were they wrong?
He is 190 not 184; the first measurement is old.
Fast and skillful should be all we look for this offseason. Forward, mid and half back.

I still think Joe Berry is a great fit for us, both in terms of team composition wise but also where he is likely to fall in the draft. Ned Bowman is another I would be interested especially with the Saints second pick.

Of the West Aussies I would look at some of the speedsters (Hayes or Van Der Struyf) if they last to the third round or later. If Gerreyn is around the second round I would be tempted even though he is not a need - I just think he is going to surprise the competition in the future.

He is 190 not 184; the first measurement is old.

I still think Joe Berry is a great fit for us, both in terms of team composition wise but also where he is likely to fall in the draft. Ned Bowman is another I would be interested especially with the Saints second pick.

Of the West Aussies I would look at some of the speedsters (Hayes or Van Der Struyf) if they last to the third round or later. If Gerreyn is around the second round I would be tempted even though he is not a need - I just think he is going to surprise the competition in the future.
If we some how keep 3 picks I hope berry and Taj Hotton are two freo take.

Need classic in forward half still

Will Hayes bleeds purple and a good kid. Is highly skilled but knock on him is size. Will keep hoping for him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kako skills are inconsistent. Can miss shots at goal. Could kick 4.1 or 1.4

Berry tackles hard , but is accurate as well.

I agree that Kako is inconsistent to a degree but I think his 1.4 scores come about through getting chances to kick the low probability shots that probably occur a lot less when he gets into an AFL system. Berry kicks a lot of goals where he gets past the defence and has an easy shot on goal from 15m out so it is hard to compare skills on output accuracy alone. I think they are both good, but I think Berry would suit our team and structures better.

Is Allan not quick. Was watching the game he played at half back for Peel seniors at the beginning of the season and there was a moment where they'd set up a wall across midfield and the ball was kicked over the top and a bunch of players turned around to chase it and Allan beat everyone by 5m. He looked quick.

Last edited:
Is Allan not quick. Was watching the game he played at half back for Peel seniors at the beginning of the season and there was a moment where they'd set up a wall across midfield and the ball was kicked over the top and a bunch of players turned around to chase it and Allan beat everyone by 5m. He looked quick.

Actually, this from Rookie Me Central might be a description of the moment from a review of Bo Allan's game in Rd 2 Peel vs Subiaco.

Maybe some hyperbole but...

"By far his best moment for the quarter, perhaps even the match, was his effort to chase up a clearance which Subiaco had punted over the back. With electrifying speed, Allan beat two opponents to the ball and scooped it up off the deck with absolute aplomb before dishing off.

Again, it was his athleticism and skill which were showcased in a small but important moment of brilliance. Such passages highlight clear elements of defensive thinking and offensive flair, which Allan seems to walk the line of – albeit leaning towards the latter."

Last edited:
Is Allan not quick. Was watching the game he played at half for Peel seniors at the beginning of the season and there was a moment where they'd set up a wall across midfield and the ball was kicked over the top and a bunch of players turned around to chase it and Allan beat everyone by 5m. He looked quick.
I don't feel like he is particularly quick physically; maybe in terms of footy brain he is a pace ahead of others
in terms of where the ball is going. Urquhart has a little bit more pace but again does not strike me as super-fast. I would imagine both testing just over 3 seconds for a 20m, but I guess we will see - I think Matt Johnson and Sam Sturt would be faster (to take people of a similar size - Johnson tested in at 2.92 seconds and Sturt 2.88 seconds from memory).

Just go the Whitlock twins and a small forward

The Whitlock twins are very good prospects for the first round picks that we currently have, but are you trying to incite outrage on this forum? Everyone would ask the question why pick players where they would be queuing behind others for a spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back