2024 VFL Season

Remove this Banner Ad

It's officially official, Port Adelaide huffed and puffed but they're staying in the SANFL.

Looks like no change to the 21 sides from 2024 unless something happens between now and then. Alignments seem to be strong, no chat out of St Kilda about rebranding Sandringham or splitting with them, just the weird kinda sorta model they have now.

It's officially official, Port Adelaide huffed and puffed but they're staying in the SANFL.

Looks like no change to the 21 sides from 2024 unless something happens between now and then. Alignments seem to be strong, no chat out of St Kilda about rebranding Sandringham or splitting with them, just the weird kinda sorta model they have now.
The weird model we've got now is far from ideal. And with Tasmania joining sometime in the next two years, the discussion of a reserves league will only intensify with the VFL encompassing four states.

I stand by my belief that the standalone clubs should be preparing for the worst case scenario. Yes a reserves league will most likely spell the end of all these clubs, but I'd rather we give ourselves a half-chance rather than scramble desperately if the AFL decides to ditch us.

The weird model we've got now is far from ideal. And with Tasmania joining sometime in the next two years, the discussion of a reserves league will only intensify with the VFL encompassing four states.

I stand by my belief that the standalone clubs should be preparing for the worst case scenario. Yes a reserves league will most likely spell the end of all these clubs, but I'd rather we give ourselves a half-chance rather than scramble desperately if the AFL decides to ditch us.
Its good for the short term.

At least the VFL competition as we know it won't be flooded with more interstate clubs meaning the AFL can create their own ressies comp properly and not cause more issues for standalones.

I definately think the stand alone clubs, plus Casey, Box Hill and Sandringham, should form thier own coalition to stand together to make sure they all get the best deal while the VFL is still going, and on the side investigate if restarting the VFA(L) as a stand alone state league competition is feasible once it does end.

Agree Nikko,

BUT the Tassie Thylacines won't play in the VFL next season. The competition will certainly change for 2026/7 and they will undoubtedly need a couple of years of blooding in either the VFL or SANFL: either competition would be a good starting point for them.

Despite the concessions they'll receive, I can’t see them being too successful early in the AFL. It takes time to gel and develop a culture, as with the Suns and Giants, but that’s not the issue here.

I wholeheartedly agree that the former VFA clubs have a unique opportunity to shape their future by forming and participating in a VSFA league. This proactive step could prevent the risk of fading away or being absorbed into a local league. The time for our former VFA clubs to seize this opportunity is now.

Oakleigh, Camberwell and Waverley have evaporated, while Moorabbin, Mordialloc and Prahran are hidden in suburban competitions.

The reasons against a VSFL quoted on this forum are certainly valid. However, I feel that after two or three seasons, the format will gel with the community and be embraced by a TV broadcaster, especially if there is a relegation and promotion system.

I’m with you Nick.
I definately think the stand alone clubs, plus Casey, Box Hill and Sandringham, should form thier own coalition to stand together to make sure they all get the best deal while the VFL is still going, and on the side investigate if restarting the VFA(L) as a stand alone state league competition is feasible once it does end.

I'm with you too Rickee.

Agree Nikko,

BUT the Tassie Thylacines won't play in the VFL next season. The competition will certainly change for 2026/7 and they will undoubtedly need a couple of years of blooding in either the VFL or SANFL: either competition would be a good starting point for them.

Despite the concessions they'll receive, I can’t see them being too successful early in the AFL. It takes time to gel and develop a culture, as with the Suns and Giants, but that’s not the issue here.

I wholeheartedly agree that the former VFA clubs have a unique opportunity to shape their future by forming and participating in a VSFA league. This proactive step could prevent the risk of fading away or being absorbed into a local league. The time for our former VFA clubs to seize this opportunity is now.

Oakleigh, Camberwell and Waverley have evaporated, while Moorabbin, Mordialloc and Prahran are hidden in suburban competitions.

The reasons against a VSFL quoted on this forum are certainly valid. However, I feel that after two or three seasons, the format will gel with the community and be embraced by a TV broadcaster, especially if there is a relegation and promotion system.

I’m with you Nick.

I'm with you too Rickee.
Agree the stand alones need to start talking now and stick together and not wait until the inevitable reforming of an AFL Reserves. Looks like they now have a temporary reprieve so an excellent opportunity to talk and plan.

(SeaSide did you see my private message re a catch up?)

Where has this Giants performance come from, considering they are pretty undermanned

Isaac Cumming one of the few afl players lining up, got a pretty sickening head knock but walked off the ground thankfully

Battle of the bridge 2.0 and GC/Ess both great games

Three quarter time
Suns by 17 over Essendon
Brisbane by 36 over Frankston

28th of the 3rd
Sydney 2 point lead (giants with the breeze in the last)

20th of the 2nd
Carlton by 13 over Southport

Last edited:
Werribee dominate the last QTR to beat Williamstown by 20 points. It was a tough and physical game in very cold and overcast conditions.

Attachments

• IMG_20240622_183618.jpg
    IMG_20240622_183618.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frankston's season will officially be over if we lose to Gold Coast next week in my opinion. If we lose, the best I can see happening is us finishing 10-8 and missing finals due to our garbage percentage. We'll need to be 11-7 if we want to make it which means we'd have to beat Footscray, and that's just not happening.

Battle of the bridge 2.0 and GC/Ess both great games

Three quarter time
Suns by 17 over Essendon
Brisbane by 36 over Frankston

28th of the 3rd
Sydney 2 point lead (giants with the breeze in the last)

20th of the 2nd
Carlton by 13 over Southport
ITS NOT THE BATTLE OF THE BRIDGE

Battle for Bell Street was a physical encounter. Good suburban scrap. Burgers just a bit too good for the Bullants.

Attachments

• IMG20240623154801.jpg
    IMG20240623154801.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 17
Great win by the Borough , really stood up late in the 3rd when Geelongs height was a factor and then again in the last to hang on
Hard to.know what to think of Port, great performances against the 2 sides that were 2nd yet v Richmond was thoroughly outclassed. Which Port is going to turn up this week is anybodies guess.

Great win by the Borough , really stood up late in the 3rd when Geelongs height was a factor and then again in the last to hang on
Against 17 AFL listed and 5 fwd/rucks over 198cm.. with Port missing 3 of their best 4 mids. Better win than the Will game imo. Shame theyve dropped the winnable games when they are favourites

Remove this Banner Ad

Back