List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

If that’s the case then he won’t be best 22 next year assuming we recruit players that are rated by Ross - Peatling and/or Macrae
Possibly.

If that is the case then it's a good problem to have. We need competition for spots & quality depth as well.

Not to mention that it gives us some tradeable chips down the line. When was the last time one of our players was targeted because he wasn't getting opportunity?

Im fine with Clark playing 60% TOG if it means he's getting 20-22 quality touches and laying his tackles. If you push him to 75-80% and he starts gassing out and messing up then youve wasted him.

I always think back to Jack Anthony from the Pies.

One of the best set shots you'd ever see but couldn't kick it more than 45m on a good day. The Pies spent an off season re-working his action to add more distance and they ended up ruining him. He lost his 'swing', got traded to Freo and flamed out.

Clark at 60% TOG is as good as plenty of mids who rack up useless touches over 80% TOG.

Happy to get Macrae on the cheap but we can load up on mids in the draft.

The biggest issues IMO are getting a legit KPD in as well as a ruck/forward option to support Marshall. I'd be happy using King in the ruck for bursts ala Harry McKay or Tommy Hawkins so a FB or CHB option is needed.

Lukosious would be an easy Battle replacement but if he is thinking he's a CHF and is chasing CHF money then we might have to look elsewhere.

Serong from the Hawks has had a great year in the VFL. Well down the order with Barass and Battle coming in.

I'd rattle the cage on Jack Payne and Darcy Gardiner again. Lions keep flirting with Hipwood at CHB to support Andrews and they have Doedee in next year.

Lewis Young is a solid enough hand. In and out at Carlton.

I like James Borlase from the Crows. Looks a handy swing man.

Could Elliott Himmelberg do what Harry did and roll across CHB? Would be 27 next year so still has a few years up his sleeve.

Don't really want Tomlinson, Lobb or Laverde at this point.

But with Battle gone, JVE delisted, and Keeler seemingly settling as a forward, we need to shore up our KPD stocks as a priority.

I think the assumption with Clark is if he can average 20 disposals on 60% game time, what can get with 75% game time?

What if he just gets the same 20 disposals?

Clark averaged his 2nd highest disposal average in 2024 (2020 may have been higher if not for shorter games), and career highs for tackles, inside 50s and clearances. He's clearly in the "needs to be playing well to command a spot in the side", but I think many can't get past the TOG when it might not be that much of a problem (it's not like we have 17 on the field when he's not out there).

Back in the day when we were losing grand finals , one of the things Collingwood had over us was high midfield rotations.
They had enough good midfielders that they could constantly refresh them on the bench.
I think Collingwood were setting records, and the bench rules came in to limit the burst speed.

Saints never were able to capitalise on rotations that much. Even then not enough mids. No point resting Lenny Hayes to bring Rob Eddy on.
But it might have been identified that Clark is more effective in shorter bursts.
( If a burst is the word for the way he lopes through the midfield ).

Dougal Howard has re-signed FYI

GETTABLE(thankfully twomey back,very slipshod and not a great deal the last couple weeks,more info in half the show already this week)

howard re-signed
macrae-saints only club mentioned
soldo-watch on saints
harry armstrong-bolted into top 5 calculations

question on soldo vs reeves,does reeves have any fire in that belly?or is he just as ordinary and vanila as he looks?soldo could have a bit of fire and can also play forward some,like the idea of him and marshall switching

re armstrong,if true surely we look better for one of those topline mid prospects,if trainor and armstrong go early we are poised nicely?

now back to the last 16 minutes

forgot two,laverde-not expected to be at saints
houston-saints in the discussion if battle compo band 1

Last edited:
No chance it's Clark.
Clark plays 55-60% TOG per game, its like the team are playing with only 3 on the bench. Most mids play around 80% that 20% less like Clark is missing an entire quarter per game. That is simply not sustainable it puts too much pressure on his team mate and he needs to be replaced.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GETTABLE(thankfully twomey back,very slipshod and not a great deal the last couple weeks,more info in half the show already this week)

howard re-signed
macrae-saints only club mentioned
soldo-watch on saints
harry armstrong-bolted into top 5 calculations

question on soldo vs reeves,does reeves have any fire in that belly?or is he just as ordinary and vanila as he looks?soldo could have a bit of fire and can also play forward some,like the idea of him and marshall switching

re armstrong,if true surely we look better for one of those topline mid prospects,if trainor and armstrong go early we are poised nicely?

now back to the last 16 minutes
I think Reeves is just a stop-gap however, in the right age bracket compared to some others. I don't mind an average ruck if all they can do is win the tap-outs that's fine. Marshall has been amazing but we know that's his deficiency.

Remember this game? Good times

Does Mccrae still qualify as shiny though?

Probably just needs a good dose of Mr Sheen (AKA RTB)
There's a trend here to think that players will somehow last beyond the average expiry date. I wouldn't think that's a good philosophy for us since we're projecting 2-3 years till we're contending. I like Mcrae, but l don't like a 3 year contract

Clark plays 55-60% TOG per game, y like the team are playing with only 3 on the bench. Most mids play around 80% that 20% less like Clark is missing an entire quater per game. That is simply not sustainable it puts too much pressure on his team mate and he needs to be replaced.

So would you rule out getting Peatling from the Giants?

Has had 3 games over 80% (82, 82 & 83) otherwise has played as the sub or sits around 70%

Is the extra 10% TOG worth a trade?

He's a freak and vitally important to our success going forward IMO. Yes his endurance sucks and always has, but it's telling that they'd prefer to manage his minutes rather than ask him to work up a better fitness base in the twos. Without exaggeration his ball handling is as good as anyone I've ever seen. Dual sided, very composed, can lack awareness at times, but he is unpredictable ball in hand and puts it to advantage more often than not.

He is 25 but I still think we've only scratched the surface, fingers crossed he gets a good run at it next year. Listening to him speak, it sounds like he has really bought into what we're doing and his game showed significant improvement as the year wore on. Still has a lot of growth left IMO, he does things that not many people can do, that highlights package is a good reminder indeed.
A Freak , a bit more Mayo please

Jarman , Dusty ect were freaks , don't even think about putting Hunter in the same basket

I think Reeves is just a stop-gap however, in the right age bracket compared to some others. I don't mind an average ruck if all they can do is win the tap-outs that's fine. Marshall has been amazing but we know that's his deficiency.

Remember this game? Good times

I would refer Soldo but Port are shocking to deal with so their asking price would be prohibitive. Reeves is good at the centre square rucking but ordinary around the ground. Being that tall and ungainly he might improve with age and experience. In hindsight we should have taken another young ruckman years ago, look at what Visenti (a Sandringham product) is now doing. Our list management has been arse about for years.

Richards pushed him out. Also developing Sanders as an inside mid longer term.
Equates to his best is behind him and the bulldogs have moved on, but here we come with picks burning a hole in our pockets. If he doesn’t cost peanuts then we’re a bunch of idiots.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back