Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

The trade will sit somewhere between 10/11 and 10/18

I don’t really like either of the following but likely somewhere around the mark:
10,18, F2, F4 > Bolton, F3(GC), 51 (current point system approx Pick 4 value)
Or
10,11,F3> Bolton,24,F4 (current point system approx Pick 5 - but higher value associated with pick 11 in this draft vs pick 18).

Richmond paid quite a price for pick 20 and they won’t be handing that to us. They will look to hold a very decent haul inside 20.

Will be different by draft night with picks settled. Absolutely no one is trading out of the top 15 by draft night

Maybe not, but again teams may want in for specific targets. If they’re gone they may trade out. Can easily see it happening.

We keep 11. Everyone is connecting us to Allan. Some want Berry. Imagine they’re our 2 wants. If they’re both gone by 11 do we just pick someone up because we have the pick or open it up for suggestions? Clearly we should open it up.

Other teams may face similar questions.

Simpson was not kicking near as many goals as Berry. Simpson was always a long term pick.

Berry should be close to beat 22 next year.

I used the wrong example but "should be best 22 next year" is the point I'm trying to make. He might be or he might not be, that's the risk with first year draftees. Bolton however will 100% be our most dangerous small forward come round 1.

Live trade back in with who exactly?

Every club in the land desperate to get in to the top 15 in this draft, passing significant over for even teens picks already, and we are just gonna trade back in there in a few weeks when it suits us, after all of the clubs with academy kids have long since traded out of 2024 first round for very generous offers??

Come on now, let’s be realistic.

Did you have Hawks trading out 14?

May as well shut the thread if speculation isn’t allowed.

I’m not saying live trade back in around 11. I’m saying if it gets to about pick 15-20 we may look at it.

All I was saying is that trading pick 11 out doesn’t mean we’ve forfeited a first round pick in 2024.

I used the wrong example but "should be best 22 next year" is the point I'm trying to make. He might be or he might not be, that's the risk with first year draftees. Bolton however will 100% be our most dangerous small forward come round 1.

He also won't be on a million dollars, and we get 2 picks.

10 and 18 is more than fair. Need to have a back bone and be prepared to walk away.

Otherwise every year we will get bent over like GC

Ok I’ll go then bye. Sorry for annoying you.
* Slightly serious hat on for a change *

It's okay mate, testy times for the Freo faithful given that 2024 ended so flatly for us. You come across as a less egotistical driven opposition fan - no one has an issue with opposition fans coming in and discussing hypotheticals respectfully and somewhat......dare I say logically, or without hyperbole/ridicule maybe?! Because of said flat way of ending 2024, the trade period is all we've got to hang our hats on until 2025 pre-season kicks in and everyone gets themselves hyped for another round of hopium March-Sept stylee! The Bolton stuff was floating around for at least 4-5 weeks prior to Monday's trade period starting. So, of course it got everyone's renewed interests up after such a bitterly disappointing end to the season. It's a facile business being a sports fan!!

I think trade period is mostly designed to build the AFL "drama" so more revenue is flooding in, ala all the trade radio style puff pieces and whatnots! After all, Brisbane can sit back and say "f** you other 17 clubs, we'll just put arms behind our head whilst you all scrap like vultures for carrion roadkill" as the other clubs scramble around to do deals that give them a shot at glory. Or not. The AFL needs to give the other 17 clubs fans something to hang their hats on.

I find it all very tedious, but I'm less anxious about it this year due to watching Freo fail again, sometimes your life isn't worth wasting on a favoured sports team achieving some success - if it happens, fanny-tastic. If not, well - what did you really lose?! Your patience, your mind; your emotional well-being..?! It boils down to perspective.

I guess it's easier for Richmond fans to accept a rebuild after multiple recent Premierships, but we had to 'rebuild' straight after winning our one and only Minor Prem - never mind real Premierships! Even now, it's a sore standing point for many fans here, went from #1 on the ladder to bottom 3. It ended with Ross getting punted after some dubious moments during the early stages of the rebuild - the budding boobs fiasco; poor performances and wallopings (Geelong, 2018 come on down..) - it really ragdolled confidence and faith we'd ever win anything.

Our rebuild (overall) has gone really quite well, it feels like we're sniffing about the possibility of doing it, finally with a stronger list than expected. But we have to climb that mountain yet. Walls has hit the draft with aplomb, but trades still leave us somewhat traumatised and on shaky ground after the Hogan debacle (before his time) and recent best 23s asking out: Schultz, Henry, Acres; Lobb etc. 2 steps forward, 23 back.

A Shai Bolton, a Kossie Pickett (or preferably both!!) really feels like we add that extra missing piece, but the truth is no one really knows if this club genuinely has the stomach for it, has got what it takes. 2025 will REALLY tell us where they're at. I just think this trade period has been bloated out by the whispers and murmurs that keep the AFL coffers fat whilst fans yo-yo their emotions over what one is worth over another, a "strong draft" and what is right/wrong value etc. Pretty standard stuff though these days with clickbait and revenue through streaming services etc. I check the AFL website, but I CANNOT abide listening to trade radio or Gettable or anything like this. It will happen when it happens.

We're all going mental, and no one is even realising it!

It will all get sorted in the end, I think Baker and Shai make it over here at the 2 separate clubs, it's just a question of how and what for. Posturing is de rigueur for this time of year, it's hardly surprising. It's just tedious and annoying hahaha!! We're all just Veruca Salt at the end of the day:

Eff GIF

If Bolton were a small forward who can play key defender or ruck at a pinch then he'd be worth overpaying for, because we are desperate for that player.

Small forward is the second easiest role for a new draftee to play behind half back flanker. We can draft a better option than we have with one of our three first round picks.

Bolton is an elite player, we would hope to get a player half a good with three picks, but we don't need elite, we just need competent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A player's worth depends on their talent ceiling, where their prime years lie (are they pre/post their ceiling) and how many games they are expected to play for their new club.

How do you estimate where prime is? One suggestion I've seen in teh Bolton discussion is 'at 25 players are entering their prime'.
One objective way might be to look at the ages of AFLCA winners, awarded annually since 2003.

First, let's do 3 year bands:

AGE BANDNUMBER OF WINNERS
19-212
22-249
25-2711
28-302
31-330

Second, let's do under 27 and 27 plus:
19-2621
27+3

Amazingly, the last 27+ yo winner was 2006! The 27+ age won 3 of the first 4 awards and nothing since.

Conclusion: prime years happen a lot earlier than many think for elite players.
Fact: Bolton turns 27 in 2025.

I blame the coaching staff who changed nothing despite losing multiple games in a row the same way.

Blaming fill ins like Voss and Draper is ridiculous.

If we saw exact clones of them fill in for other clubs I bet the same posters would be complaining that we don’t have players like them on our list as back up despite literally having the same player. It’s rubbish to say most could teams have better depth than that - Thats just wrong.

Playing like we were defending a two goal lead with three minutes left with 20 minutes left was the issue every time we let a team come from behind. We shut up shop and when a team scored a goal or two couldn’t get the momentum back. If we play our normal game style to the finish in every game this we win probably half those close games and we’re most likely top four.

Our depth is way better than it was in 2013 but no one was complaining because we were winning. We played Silvagni as KPF half the year because we had nothing else FFS

So, after trolling these pages and other boards for countless hours this week as well as listening to Trade Radio ad nauseum, I have reached the obvious conclusion that 10+18 are worth a significant amount in this particular draft and that they represent a very strong offer for Bolton.

I don’t think that offer needs to be improved. Don’t blink Freo.

Last edited:
A player's worth depends on their talent ceiling, where their prime years lie (are they pre/post their ceiling) and how many games they are expected to play for their new club.

How do you estimate where prime is? One suggestion I've seen in teh Bolton discussion is 'at 25 players are entering their prime'.
One objective way might be to look at the ages of AFLCA winners, awarded annually since 2003.

19-212
22-249
25-2711
28-302
31-330

19-2621
27+3

Amazingly, the last 27+ yo winner was 2006! The 27+ age won 3 of the first 4 awards and nothing since.

It’s a decent point you raise. He is only 26 for the entire 2025 season. Turns 27 on 8 Dec. We have prime years for a couple and then I expect as a smaller forward he will be fine.

19-212
22-249
25-2711
28-302
31-330

19-2621
27+3

Exactly, are Bolton's best years behind him or in front of him? It's an educated punt and 10 and 18 is more than fair.

I think Richmond want this deal waaaaay more than Fremantle because Bolton needs it more than either club.

I really do think that with his family in WA he will have one of the all time worst seasons at AFL, complete with leaving to come back to WA and Richmond saying they fully support him doing that after being hounded for a day in the media over not even knowing he left.

Then come the end of 2025 they have a fortune sitting on their salary cap not even in the state again requesting a trade home only this time they are even more desperate.

Richmond need to get him off their books while he is worth something.

Similar to Tom Barrass at the Eagles who I believe is a massive cohesion and culture issue right now, something in the force tells me he was involved in pushing out the previous coach and is roaming the halls there like a bad fart flipping tables.
sorry for the intrusion but have to say this is quite a take

I really want to be respectful but I think the main thing lost in this discussion is that Richmond will not be contending for a flag with or without Bolton and freo will be contending with Bolton but not without him .

Also he has been made promises by freo , will not look good next year if you are chasing Warner that you cannot get deals done

I also agree this deal will get done , but most of you will
Not like it , that is until shai graces the purple and then you will not give a damn what he cost .

He really is that good , ask Snuffaluphagus he knows .

I really want to be respectful but I think the main thing lost in this discussion is that Richmond will not be contending for a flag with or without Bolton and freo will be contending with Bolton but not without him .

Also he has been made promises by freo , will not look good next year if you are chasing Warner that you cannot get deals done

Not like it , that is until shai graces the purple and then you will not give a damn what he cost .

It's just how much we want to stump up for a Sam Sturt backup really.

You need the picks in a super draft before Tassie come in. C’mon now.

You sound like you are in the know but I bet your not, your guessing like everyone else.
On your way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back