Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 36 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 165 82.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

One hopes there was some logic like there's no point having a top shelf coaching group while we're at the bottom in the rebuild, let's be minimal, bank the cash and then splash it once we're heading to the top again.
Reality is you need the best guys when you are as low as we are.

Luko’s preference is Port (offer around 3.6m over 4 years). Cumming will be a crow. Come at me 😬😜
It won't be just what Lukosius want but what GCS want and they don't want to pay any of his $2M for 2 years which is why they will be dealing with us hence the rumour F1 with pick 26 coming back. No doubt Port Power is able to absorb that $2M for 2 years if they don't bring in Perryman at the reported $850K at 7 years so they will likely end with Perryman and us with Cummings and Lukosius.

Luko’s preference is Port (offer around 3.6m over 4 years). Cumming will be a crow. Come at me 😬😜
Not one person in the AFL World believes Lukosus is a $900K a year player ......he's been dropped a couple of times from the GC team

So I'll cob wash this rumour

i have no problem with no cuts being made YET but not for the reasons you mention

valid reasons for me
1.,the new director coaching should have a say
2. we try to trade them not delist them (not berg)

there is nobody in the uncontracted including c burgers that we need and even if we dont get the three mentioned target i would rather load up at this draft
The reason they don't is they feel they can't bring a new player through the SANFL with too many rookies, it become demoralising for them and they don't want these kids wanting to leave. Basically, first or second year away from family, getting pummeled each week makes for a shit job and development.

We are hamstrung because we'd rather not be in the SANFL whilst it doesn't allow us to have decent top ups but we can't go anywhere else.

Port and us should just play a scratch match each week and leave that comp until we find better

It won't be just what Lukosius want but what GCS want and they don't want to pay any of his $2M for 2 years which is why they will be dealing with us hence the rumour F1 with pick 26 coming back. No doubt Port Power is able to absorb that $2M for 2 years if they don't bring in Perryman at the reported $850K at 7 years so they will likely end with Perryman and us with Cummings and Lukosius.
Fair point. I must stress that port is Luko’s preference. Doesn’t mean he gets there does it. I assume they will get it done though. They tend to do that

Stepping aside isn't leaving though.
I queried whether this could happen couple weeks back.

Him forfeiting senior title makes a lot of sense as that was a roadblock to us attracting better than him which we need, but as another normal assistant then the bar is lower (still questionable on performance)

Ideally he’s dropping that title because someone like Montgomery is coming in to take it, or it’s this floated coaching director.

But even if we didn’t then at least stripping the tithe would help when we’re approaching people for next year with that role being open. Not ideal but better than just letting him keep the title just because no one else came along.

I suspect thigh Montgomery comes in as senior and someone else like van Berlo is relegated to a development coach role (aligning with them all being contracted fir next year)

Not one person in the AFL World believes Lukosus is a $900K a year player ......he's been dropped a couple of times from the GC team

Well if his contract is $2m for the next two years, that is a sunk cost. So it comes down to how much per year for the remainder of a contract offer.

Ie it’s $800k per year for the final two years - which is believable given salary cap increases

Cant believe McHenry would be still trying to stay with us...it's against HIS interests!? Our highly contested game does not suit a small gut running guy who's good at doing short hit-ups. He's be way better off at clubs with more open running game plans, like Collingwood or GWS to make two. The guy's mad not to try and get out, gonna sink his career by not making a move. Even just playing seconds for a year in the Eastern states where he'd dominate and make the headlines and likely be picked up mid year makes way more sense than trying to continue with us? Surely someone in the club that's all about "prioritizing others" has said this to him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much of this wage is the backended portion of his current contract
Even allowing for that, the rumoured offer is inflated ....you're saying Lukosius is almost going to be paid the back-ended portion of his Contract for 4 years

He's a $600K a year player for the extra 2 years tacked on .....closer to $500K, if the $1M per year is correct

A lot of players on holiday at the moment, so can only assume it was planned to have it later in the year.
They normally do the first round of cullings as soon as the Exit Interviews have been completed. This is then followed by a second round at the end of the trade period, when we know how many players we've brought in and what draft picks we have left.

This year they seem to have foregone the first round, saving everything up for the second.

At the end of the day it makes zero difference, other than fuelling the frustrations of impatient supporters wanting to see concrete actions after a bitterly disappointing season.

Plenty examples of players getting more than they’re worth these days.

Best case result IMO

Paying up 25 for ANB is far from ideal but at least we get to keep F1. I think we would trade F2 into this year in that scenario (or keep Gollant - not my preference)

Port and us should just play a scratch match each week and leave that comp until we find better
We should approach West Coast and freo and get them to field their own reserves and we play them, at least that way it's only once a month we play the same team.

Could also try a mix it with us playing SANFL as well.

Imagine a scenario where we miss cumming to Port as a free hit, miss Lukosius to Port and they only pay a 2nd rounder for him on a lower contract than we offered and we overpay for ANB and then proudly announce the re signing of McHenry.
Yes, let's just imagine if all the bad things happen.

For what it's worth, we'd already made delistings by this time last year. And that was only 1-2 weeks post-SANFL Finals exit.

I can't understand why we aren't already announcing cuts to deadweight like McHenry, Gollant, Parnell, regardless of our trade target plans... We're 15th and haven't played finals for 7 years - should be turning the list over much more aggressively.
Why do you want them done now, other than impatience and worry that they won't happen?

There's zero advantages in announcing them before you have to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back