Half-backs:Nic NewmanMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyHarry McKayZac Williams
Forwards:Matthew OwiesCharlie CurnowAlex Cincotta
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshGeorge Hewett
Interchange from:Lachie CowanCorey DurdinOrazio Fantasia
Elijah HollandsMatthew Kennedy
Emergencies:Caleb MarchbankJesse MotlopMarc Pittonet

Hmmm. Unless there's a late change then it means Blitz won't run with cripps.

I feel there is always a late change with the cats. I think Stanley will play.

I feel there is always a late change with the cats. I think Stanley will play.
Named as an emergency yet omitted from the team due to an 'injury'.
Feels Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

People… it’s Rhys Stanley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's a bit of an archaic mindset to consider Player A is lockdown and Player B is intercept.

It's all about team defence now. You can get away with one anchor defender who lacks a bit of mobility (for us that's Weiters), but around that player you need a mix of athletic guys who can do a bit of everything. One play Kemp might need to come third man up over Hawkins, the next he might need to trail Cameron up the ground, and the next he might have to pick up Dangerfield when he drifts forward.

Kemp's greatest strength at the moment is his versatility. His biggest weakness is that he's played only 34 games and is still developing his craft. He got outbodied or outpositioned by Langford the other week? Might have something to do with Langford having 4 years and 100+ games on him...

Invest the time now and in 4-5 years Kemp is going to be towelling up less experienced forwards and creating a heap of drive off half back for us.

Might be archaic and its just my view but i'd put forward this...

Pies Talls
Murphy (hard lockdown but they lost him to injury). Now Frampton?
Howe (key interceptor)
Moore (hybrid)
Maynard (can play hard lockdown when required)

Dees Talls
Petty (hard lockdown when he was there and Dees firing). Now maybe Tomlinson/Tom Mcdonald)
May (more lockdown)
Lever (key interceptor)

Blues Talls
Weitering (lockdown but wants to be an interceptor or we waste his pedigree)
Mcgovern (key interceptor)
Kemp (interceptor)
Marchbank (Interceptor)

We are currently spending Weitering in the same role GC paid nothing for for Collins. More and more Weitering is dragged away from the contest with his opponent a decoy. Literally Hawkins job this weekend.

Team defence is a basic given that goes unsaid.

My concern is Blicavs getting away from TDK around the ground as an extra midfielder, TDK exposes bigger slower ruckman usually, this will be a different challenge for him and our entire midfield group remembering they had us for speed last time.
Rotations are important. McKay spends a little more time rucking if needed. Cripps and Kennedy to have the odd jump. TDK needs to make sure he pushes forward really hard and drags Bilcavs with him and does not just follow him. Make Bilcavs accountable and do a lot of defensive running. Around the ground let guys like Kennedy or Cripps run with Bilcavs if he tries to push forward. When they take him, that is when TDK goes the other way and runs forward of the ball and makes himself dangerous.

Double bluff. If TDK is getting forward a lot, Bilcavs will have to run extra hard defensively. Make him do a lot of defensive running, let other players take him when he runs forward. Put him under the pump to defend.

You can make this work against him, use our tall midfield to do the defensive running. Use TDK forward of the ball a lot. Blow him up instead. Test his accountability.

Not sure whether you think that this is a good or bad thing? Bruin has been a bit underwhelming in an average midfield, Parfitt can't get a game in that midfield and sadly the game might have passed Guthrie by.
Good things and exposes their numbers through the midfield. They were all playing and playing well when they started the season on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back