Half-backs:Nic NewmanMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyHarry McKayZac Williams
Forwards:Matthew OwiesCharlie CurnowAlex Cincotta
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshGeorge Hewett
Interchange from:Lachie CowanCorey DurdinOrazio Fantasia
Elijah HollandsMatthew Kennedy
Emergencies:Caleb MarchbankJesse MotlopMarc Pittonet

I understand this sentiment but as much as I am enjoying Kemp's progression, (he looks terrific with ball in hand, his kicking is quite good and when he takes a mark it is emphatic), there are three elements in his game that is letting him down. His ability to keep his feet, falls over quite often, and he gets outpositioned and outmuscled in a one on ones; and he gets lost in pack marks where his opposite number seems to be the one taking the grab.
Kemp being out muscled?? When? Marchbank has negative muscle at the moment. He's not helping with that whatsoever.

'keeping your feet' bullshit is such a fans thing. He's slipped a couple times a game. Who gives a chuckle****. Every player does. Nit picking.

His direct opponents have rarely been taking pack marks. There's not much proof of that recently.

The single biggest criticism of kemp is brain fades. IE a moment of rashness, a spoil the wrong side, spoiling instead of marking or vice versa.... And that's about it.

Kemp being out muscled?? When? Marchbank has negative muscle at the moment. He's not helping with that whatsoever.

'keeping your feet' bullshit is such a fans thing. He's slipped a couple times a game. Who gives a chuckle****. Every player does. Nit picking.

His direct opponents have rarely been taking pack marks. There's not much proof of that recently.

The single biggest criticism of kemp is brain fades. IE a moment of rashness, a spoil the wrong side, spoiling instead of marking or vice versa.... And that's about it.

Kempy is young and IMO going to be a ripper. Going well. :thumbsu:

The few one on ones with Langford two weeks ago he got done on each occasion. But again, I would rather have him stay in the team.

There's obviously a high rating of Marchbank internally and has been for long before this coaching staff. There's obviously a want for him to get up to AFL speed, hence his early returns every time he's fit across multiple coaching teams.

The downside to that is that we only ever really see him when he's rusty. When he's had a run of games he has found form really well, the prelim comes to mind and I still remember that game against Geelong years ago. The issue is those are blips in what's mostly seeing a rusty guy returning from injury before being re-injured.

I don't like dropping Kemp for him, but I also haven't written Marchy off yet and for him to get a go I'm not sure who else comes out. Though given Kemps form it would be an odd choice, they must really be backing Marchbanks form.

Remember them asking him if there was anyone at the club he asks for advice on dealing with tags and I kept waiting for him to say our footy director's name, but he didn't.

Hopefully someone's got into his ear since then. Ain't nobody better to learn from than the great Diesel himself.
The way Diesel handled taggers wouldn’t get you very many games these days…..

The way Diesel handled taggers wouldn’t get you very many games these days…..
Diesel used his smarts more than going the biff to beat most taggers.

Still remember Prespakis* saying she learnt so much about handling tags after getting advice from Diesel. In hindsight he probably shouldn't have helped her so much considering she left us for *. Still dirty about that.

Well while we are only successful 20% of the time, does that mean the opposition is successful the other 80%, or does it predominantly result in a ball up, where our stoppage game takes over?

Yes, I am not sure what defines success here. Guessing it just means it leads directly to a meaningful Carlton possession.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The few one on ones with Langford two weeks ago he got done on each occasion. But again, I would rather have him stay in the team.

I've watched back the games and the devil is in the detail with Kemp. People are slightly blinded by his spectacular intercept marks which are pretty damn good. But he can definitely get done body-on-body and did in the bombers game against at best average forwards.

When talking about Kemp the context is whether his role is as an inrerceptor or more defensive lockdown. And the context that Mcgovern is an interceptor too complicates things. And going fwd we'd like to see Weitering do more intercepting as he is better quality than Kemp if given the chance.

If Kemp is given the intercept role and gets a free run at the ball...then fair enough. If he gets a body on body lockdown role, others assigned intercept roles, then his spot in the side is at risk.

Having said all that, he is a lock right now given alternatives. Austin should be trying to solve this conundrum of all our KPDers being more of the interceptor ilk than defence first.

I think Miers is the one. He wont enjoy a tag. Alex should be able to run with him and will be stronger than him. Miers is a connector for them. Let our midfield go head to head with theirs.
Yep without looking up the stats, Miers is one of the best "score involvement/assist" players in the whole league, let alone Geelong.

Makes perfect sense for Cinc to tag him over any of the others.

There's obviously a high rating of Marchbank internally and has been for long before this coaching staff. There's obviously a want for him to get up to AFL speed, hence his early returns every time he's fit across multiple coaching teams.

The downside to that is that we only ever really see him when he's rusty. When he's had a run of games he has found form really well, the prelim comes to mind and I still remember that game against Geelong years ago. The issue is those are blips in what's mostly seeing a rusty guy returning from injury before being re-injured.

I don't like dropping Kemp for him, but I also haven't written Marchy off yet and for him to get a go I'm not sure who else comes out. Though given Kemps form it would be an odd choice, they must really be backing Marchbanks form.
Just about every coach we have had has seen him as either the future or current CHB in a good side. Problem is he keeps getting injured. A non injured Marchbank is a player who is good enough to spend his development years at AFL level playing the third tall defender role and then graduating into the CHB role. Is elite at reading the play, intercept marking, a tall who gets involved in the rebound play, runs both ways and has elite endurance which is rare for a tall. Instead he hasn't got out of second gear. Most players need momentum in their careers to be decent at AFL level and he hasn't had that. This year he gets a nasty virus and then cleaned up by a team mate. Has to play in that train wreck of a VFL side.

There is no need to panic with him. The guys in the team are doing the job. I think whatever illness he had has really knocked him around. Going by vision of him at preseason time where he looked bigger and stronger than ever and his form was reportedly very good, to where he is now, things have gone very backwards for him in a big way.

I would be happy even if he plays out the rest of the season in the VFL and works into the preseason and hits that really strongly. A lot of people saying that he should be delisted. Well I think he's one of those players who might give you two or three full seasons out of a 10 year career and that is all we will need as long as it's at the right time. Martin is the same. We aren't under pressure for list spots, there's plenty to go before these two. Both are extremely hard to replace.

Kemp is someone who has had the same history of injury after injury and struggling to get fit. Difference is he has had a good run of things and seems to have put a lot of that behind him. I think Kemp is more suited to smaller roles. I think he could play the running defender role. He's fast and has good endurance, runs straight lines, reads the play well. To be honest, I think he would make an unbelievable wingman. Particularly defensively.

I think if Marchbank were to come back into the side it would be for Cowan. Cowan has been good but I think Kemp can play his role.

Next preseason I would like to see Kemp developed into more than just a general defender. Would love to see him develop into a mid/forward utility. Someone who can play wing, play a half forward role similar to Cincotta but also go to the goal square and play deep. Has a lot of talent and special athletic attributes. Kind of reminds me of Kouta early days, tall athlete, fans wanted him released on the ball for years. When is the time to release Kemp to a wing?

Marchbank is another player who has a lot of talent and special athletic ability but things haven't gone the same way for him. He's still battling bad luck and has not come out the other side yet. I think his injury prone years could be nearing an end but it's the bad luck that really gets me.

We are a footy club that hasn't had patience and has suffered because of it, I think this is something which is changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back