Half-backs:Nic NewmanMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyHarry McKayZac Williams
Forwards:Matthew OwiesCharlie CurnowAlex Cincotta
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshGeorge Hewett
Interchange from:Lachie CowanCorey DurdinOrazio Fantasia
Elijah HollandsMatthew Kennedy
Emergencies:Caleb MarchbankJesse MotlopMarc Pittonet

If we honestly bring in Marchy to play on Cameron at the expense of Kemp who’s been great, I’ll spew

Me too. Cameron will be licking his chops if Marchbank lines up on him. Caleb was getting beaten by VFL forwards only two weeks ago...now we're considering him for arguably the most dangerous forward in he AFL...

Last edited:

Came across this article and it’s a bit of a surprise, what’s people thoughts on why this happens? With our tall targets and contested mids, its strange we are only going at 20% retention when we go long down the line.

We are getting smashed by repeat F50 entries and this article shows how bad.

Surely this isn’t a too big an issue to fix.
I suspect that it has a bit to do with the fact that in the last 6 weeks we have played Melbourne. Collingwood, Sydney, Gold Coast, Port Adelaide and *. Everyone of those teams were in the 8 at the time and most in the top 4. Add to that the fact that the Swans absolutely blitzed us in every facet and there's pretty much your statistical reason.

It's a bit like a good racehorse winning or placing in good group 1 races ( and running one shocker) being marked down against racehorses running and doing o.k. in average midweek races.

Last edited:
NO MARCHBANK please!!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I understand this sentiment but as much as I am enjoying Kemp's progression, (he looks terrific with ball in hand, his kicking is quite good and when he takes a mark it is emphatic), there are three elements in his game that is letting him down. His ability to keep his feet, falls over quite often, and he gets outpositioned and outmuscled in a one on ones; and he gets lost in pack marks where his opposite number seems to be the one taking the grab.

I know goals aren’t the main measure of Fantasia’s output but someone who plays in the forward half cannot be contributing 2.6 from 10 games.
He’s mainly played on the back of missing forwards being either injured/long layoffs or poor form when available…
Martin Motlop and Durdin being the most obvious options…
Besides being okay in a couple of games his overall output and impact has been disappointing…

CD are fantastic for data, but make poor assumptions, nor do they tie that in with all factors

What needs to be added to these stats are:

• Quality of team played over that 6 week period
  • Strengths and weaknesses of those 6 teams
  • While only winning 20% of long down the line contests, what percentage remained in dispute and or at what point/area did we win the ball back
Ultimately you want to improve your ball moment layers, but our strength has been pressure and forward half turnovers
All very good points, but we do need to change up the amount of times we do kickin and down the line, there has been some improvement over the past couple of seasons but we do really need to be more creative at times where we can be far too predictable & obvious for our opponents to setup, outnumber and counter back…

I understand this sentiment but as much as I am enjoying Kemp's progression, (he looks terrific with ball in hand, his kicking is quite good and when he takes a mark it is emphatic), there are three elements in his game that is letting him down. His ability to keep his feet, falls over quite often, and he gets outpositioned and outmuscled in a one on ones; and he gets lost in pack marks where his opposite number seems to be the one taking the grab.

Have you watched Marchbank in the reserves lately?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All very good points, but we do need to change up the amount of times we do kickin and down the line, there has been some improvement over the past couple of seasons but we do really need to be more creative at times where we can be far too predictable & obvious for our opponents to setup, outnumber and counter back…

Fair points, but it's also predictable to our teammates

No club can sustain all aspects of their game, nor all of those areas being rated highly

I suspect that it has a bit to do with the fact that in the last 6 weeks we have played Melbourne. Collingwood, Sydney, Gold Coast, Port Adelaide and *. Everyone of those teams were in the 8 at the time and most in the top 4. Add to that the fact that the Swans absolutely blitzed us in every facet and there's pretty much your statistical reason.

It's a hotline a good racehorse winning or placing in good group 1 races ( and running one shocker) being marked down against racehorses running and doing o.k. in average midweek races.

I agree with the quality of the opposition. It is also about some of those games losing Saad/Mcgovern who are the two back there that mix up the direction out of defence for us. So the less confident Kemp/Cowan types go down the line. Predictable and we can be picked off like some of that 6 week data shows. Let's not forget that same thing happened in our losing streak last year.

I think Carlton have the levers now to hopefully change the pattern. Requires a healthy list down back. I say hopefully because finals will be about quality opposition and we don't want to revert back to high ball down the line out of defence and high balls into the side pocket footy. It is just too easily picked off by strong rebound teams.

If we go back to our losing streak 'early' last year and the Brisbane/Sydney finals games we reverted to down the wings high balls. I do think the opposition set up to that Carlton style. Opposition clubs are like 'remove the corridor, pick them off on the wing, or backup, rebound from deep inside 50 high ball. It isnt rocket science.

Carlton's evolution is about Newman, Saad, Acres, Mcgovern and then Walsh plus Cerra (when fit) being the ones with the licence and metres gained credentials distributing the balls to a variety of pathways to our fwd line. It is literally those clear ball users who decide our fate. Cripps, Hewett, and then Boyd/Cowan/Kemp in lockdown roles arent ultimately deciding where we go much and how we move the ball. It's the metres gained kickers and running handball receive players from the back half that decide.

For Pies, its Daicos, Maynard, Daicos, Pendles, Sidey usually, Noble etc..

It's a bit like a good racehorse winning or placing in good group 1 races ( and running one shocker) being marked down against racehorses running and doing o.k. in average midweek races.
So true.

The stupid quarters-won ladder doesn’t reflect teams played either.

Another example of using stats out of context.

All to justify their hyperbolic click-bait headlines/content.

I think you'll find there is a degree of strategy to it, and the same with our forward entries this year.

If you come out and start trying to hit every centering option on transition, the opposition is going to shut it down real quick. Oftentimes, the opposition will come into a game with the intent to deny the corridor. The corridor kick works when it's unpredictable. Force the other side to keep numbers down the line to try and stop us hitting up Harry and Charlie all day, then on the occasions when their mids get caught napping and leave a bloke free in the middle you take the kick and cut them open.

I've noticed that we seem to be much more deliberate in targeting smaller forwards early in games. It's Hollands, Kennedy, Owies, even a few mids drifting forward. Then when the oppo cotton on and start spreading their defence to cover those options we start targeting Harry and Charlie in the 1-v-1s they're suddenly creating.

There's a chess-like aspect to it all. Sometimes we'll spend 70% of a game playing a certain way, but it means that for the 30% that we change it up we're ****ing dynamite. If we tried to play the dynamite way all the time it would become predictable and easily defended.

Fair points, but it's also predictable to our teammates

No club can sustain all aspects of their game, nor all of those areas being rated highly
For sure i understand that but certainly there’s still room to improve on this aspect of our system with ball movement, good thing is we’re doing a lot right with more upside in a few areas…

Have you watched Marchbank in the reserves lately?

Not at all and I'm actually not sold what Marchbank would provide the team besides intercept, it was more of a comment on where kemp needs to get better. If he could improve in those areas he's other assets would make him a serious weapon.

I think you'll find there is a degree of strategy to it, and the same with our forward entries this year.

If you come out and start trying to hit every centering option on transition, the opposition is going to shut it down real quick. Oftentimes, the opposition will come into a game with the intent to deny the corridor. The corridor kick works when it's unpredictable. Force the other side to keep numbers down the line to try and stop us hitting up Harry and Charlie all day, then on the occasions when their mids get caught napping and leave a bloke free in the middle you take the kick and cut them open.

I've noticed that we seem to be much more deliberate in targeting smaller forwards early in games. It's Hollands, Kennedy, Owies, even a few mids drifting forward. Then when the oppo cotton on and start spreading their defence to cover those options we start targeting Harry and Charlie in the 1-v-1s they're suddenly creating.

There's a chess-like aspect to it all. Sometimes we'll spend 70% of a game playing a certain way, but it means that for the 30% that we change it up we're ****ing dynamite. If we tried to play the dynamite way all the time it would become predictable and easily defended.
Summed things up really well, i think you have certainly articulated all points perfectly, i agree on everything you have said…
There are times at the game when i do see the opportunities for us to utilize areas of space to hit up teammates which would help us not being hemmed in along the boundary line giving us more variety to move the ball on… 👍

Came across this article and it’s a bit of a surprise, what’s people thoughts on why this happens? With our tall targets and contested mids, its strange we are only going at 20% retention when we go long down the line.

We are getting smashed by repeat F50 entries and this article shows how bad.

Surely this isn’t a too big an issue to fix.

Because Harry and Charlie get scragged and it's not cool to give them free kicks anymore.

I can understand Mots coming back in at the expense of Durds or JC but in the absence of others being available that's about it. Do not understand the MC's fascination with Fanta or Marchy. Don't think they will add to the team we selected and that performed well against *.

I’ll be livid!!!!

If DEliades was to spew on say my new rug, then yes, I would be very grumpy too..... ;)

But seriously Vossy and crew have won me over 100% and if they decide to bring in Marchy or whatever else,
then....... IN THEM I TRUST. :thumbsu:

They are GOING ALRIGHT.

(please however we don't need Orazio back. :D )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back