Half-backs:Nic NewmanMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyHarry McKayZac Williams
Forwards:Matthew OwiesCharlie CurnowAlex Cincotta
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshGeorge Hewett
Interchange from:Lachie CowanCorey DurdinOrazio Fantasia
Elijah HollandsMatthew Kennedy
Emergencies:Caleb MarchbankJesse MotlopMarc Pittonet

Just read that about Bruhn, Danger will have to spend most time in the midfield then

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Bad luck for Bruhn, dare I say it is good luck for us!

He’s been handy & will force Danger into the middle coming off a 6 week hammy.

Much prefer he doesn’t play forward!

The amount of space we allowed them last time was a key factor in their ability to move the ball at will far too easily, and score, there was times where they had spare 2/3 players grouped by themselves used in their ball movement & running chains…

We must be better prepared and much better with our defensive positioning and structures, can’t allow them the same amount of lattitude as last time, play with a 4 quarter high pressure effort we win…

Came across this article and it’s a bit of a surprise, what’s people thoughts on why this happens? With our tall targets and contested mids, its strange we are only going at 20% retention when we go long down the line.

We are getting smashed by repeat F50 entries and this article shows how bad.

Surely this isn’t a too big an issue to fix.

Came across this article and it’s a bit of a surprise, what’s people thoughts on why this happens? With our tall targets and contested mids, its strange we are only going at 20% retention when we go long down the line.

In the last five games we are second in the competition for points from defensive half (41.8pts). So at least we are being efficient.

I'm a huge stats guy but I think this is one of those times the stat is a false negative. The last 3 weeks we've played a deliberate style of play where we play counter-turnover football for 3 quarters before using our one-wood of smash the clearances to break the game open.

Reckon one of the symptoms of the way we play is to conserve energy then to allow for the burst to occur. In all 3 games we've played about 20 minutes of relentless, brutal football to put the game away, reckon it requires some energy and hence we are kicking down the line for much of the rest of the game to conserve and relying on our defensive setup to force repeat entries out wide and ineffective.

Just listening to Voss' presser and it sounds like no Pittonet or Cuningham. Marchbank and Motlop sound like possibilities from what he said but can't really tell which way he's leaning on them. Very politician-like

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cincotta to either Holmes or Miers (probably Holmes). They are the two most dangerous Geelong players in open play, outside of Jeremy Cameron. The run and carry, and ball use of those two is what makes Geelong a dangerous team.

Makes sense to have Holmes too, as the same logic applied to Touk Miller and Zach Merrett can be applied. Fog, Williams and Kennedy can keep Stewart accountable, and Danger can be a non entity outside of stoppages these days, so the midfield just has to be accountable, and we should be fine there
Cinc to Stewart for mine.

I reckon Walsh is worse , watched him on the couch and he didn’t even answer the questions and looked so nervous , made me nervous…I understand why he is reluctant to go on podcasts and tv
Remember them asking him if there was anyone at the club he asks for advice on dealing with tags and I kept waiting for him to say our footy director's name, but he didn't.

Hopefully someone's got into his ear since then. Ain't nobody better to learn from than the great Diesel himself.

CD are fantastic for data, but make poor assumptions, nor do they tie that in with all factors

What needs to be added to these stats are:

• Quality of team played over that 6 week period
  • Strengths and weaknesses of those 6 teams
  • While only winning 20% of long down the line contests, what percentage remained in dispute and or at what point/area did we win the ball back
Ultimately you want to improve your ball moment layers, but our strength has been pressure and forward half turnovers

This is what I'm thinking:
IN: Motlop, Fantasia
OUT: Durdin, Carroll
Sub: Owies (give Mots 3 quarters in first game back)

I wouldn't bring Pitto back in for this one. Would instead look to out-pace them early like Port did against them a few weeks back.

CD are fantastic for data, but make poor assumptions, nor do they tie that in with all factors

What needs to be added to these stats are:

• Quality of team played over that 6 week period
  • Strengths and weaknesses of those 6 teams
  • While only winning 20% of long down the line contests, what percentage remained in dispute and or at what point/area did we win the ball back
Ultimately you want to improve your ball moment layers, but our strength has been pressure and forward half turnovers
It would be a worry if these bad numbers were resulting in loses, but they aren't. Other factor is did teams play extra player (s) behind the ball to take the down the line strength away from Carlton. They are surprising numbers given CC & H are 2 of the best contested marks in the league. What did these teams give up to gain this ascendency?

CD really should exclude all stats with bottom 6 teams as what you can do against them is irrelevant as you aren't playing them in finals and they skew average the numbers.

Vossy's presser ...

On Jesse Motlop and Orazio Fantasia:
"They’re all fit and available. In Jesse’s case, he’s had a couple of weeks under his belt, particularly on the weekend his form was really strong and he’s been building his game after missing a large chunk of footy.
"With these guys coming back, we hope it’s creating some internal competition. They’re driving each other really hard and hopefully, it helps us find the best versions of each other. They’ve been supporting each other really well and they’re locked in on the same goal which is making us better."

On Adam Cerra and Jack Martin:
"With them being able to come back and train, they're back out on the track and seeing them there in skills, they're both players that make us better. Hopefully, 'Cez' is available soon and Jack soon after that, it’ll be nice to get them back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back