• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

So, if Smith is gone, you're still taking Smith? I like it :D
No - the other Smith - Doh!

For some reasons, I've read that as Lalor and FOS as the first two drafted
Anyway, given a choice Smith over Draper

Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

The logic behind it would be if we want to forward plan for Cripps finishing up in 3-ish years. On that basis alone, now wouldn't be a bad time to bring a kid like Lalor, Smillie or Langford in. Couple of years to learn under the master and grow into their frame, by the time Cripps finishes we've got a replacement ready to unleash.

The argument against is that if we want to play that kid in the seniors to develop them, we're committing to a slow midfield for a few more years. And in two years time we have Cody Walker coming in who I could see spending his debut season at half forward with stints on ball, and by year two will probably be carving it up in the centre square.
Yes noted all above.

Our immediate strategic need is to improve our midfield - unfortunately not in the position to develop the next Cripps in the 2’s.

I think this is why we’ve traded up to 3.

So we can bring an elite talent who fits the speed need & is AFL ready.

Houston wasn’t that clearly.

Sid & Jagga looking the goods.

Exactly, if Lalor is a "Rayner" type, we don't need him. Rayner has only now just built his tank to become an impact player at AFL level after what four or five years in the system? We want a Sheezel, Daicos, Walsh, Gulden, Reid type that can come in an immediately impact at AFL level which i have fears on if Lalor or FOS can do.
Agreed!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you suggesting smith was in the discussion for Pick 1?

I think Walsh was the general consensus pick, but Bailey was almost unanimously considered the next best mid that year amongst the more prominent track watchers. No doubt there'd have been some who preferred him to Walsh.

Smith will go 1 or 2
North is the uncertain one that could pull a surprise and take Smillie or Langford
I recon Austin knows Fos will be there at 3 and the reason we went so hard for 3
Apparently Austin went hard for Norths #2. They were keen but were holding off on potentially landing Houston, so Austin got the deal done with the Eagles. I do agree in Austin believing that we get FOS with #3

Any chance the blues were happy to jump up to 3 to grab Sid Draper before the crows pick?
Kinda makes sense, and they probably know that he won't go top 2, you can't say that with lalor, smith and O'Sullivan.
Adds some pace and spread to a midfield that can be one paced, hence why Kennedy has left?

Last edited:
Any chance the blues were happy to jump up to 3 to grab Sid Draper before the crowd pick?
Kinda makes sense, and they probably know that he won't go top 2, you can't say that with lalor, smith and O'Sullivan.
Adds some pace and spread to a midfield that can be one paced, hence why Kennedy has left?
I seriously hope that is the case.

My current predicted top 15 (not including academy)

1. Sam Lalor (Tigers)
2. Finn O’Sullivan (Tigers traded from North)
3. Jagga Smith (Blues)
4. Sid Draper (Crows)
5. Harvey Langford (Dees)
6. Alix Tauru (North traded from Tigers)
7. Josh Smillie (Saints)
8. Murphy Reid (Saints)
9. Harry Armstrong (Dees)
10. Tobie Travaglia (Tigers)
11. Luke Trainor (North traded from Tigers)
12. Bo Allen (Eagles)
13. Jack Whitlock (Power)
14. Taj Hotton (Freo)
15. Xavier Lindsay (Giants)

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back