• Chad Warner

Votes: 163 67.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 9 3.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

See I would say the last thing we need is midfielders. Yet we are going after Chad Warner. Bottom line Chad and McDonald are good talents so you just make it work.

Jackson can legit play anywhere so im confident it could work.
Jackson has not proven he can play anywhere. He's proven he can play ruck and to a lesser extent as a forward. He has no exposed form in any other position.

McDonald has exposed form as an uncontested key forward. He's not showing any traits that make him obviously better than our existing options.

Warner has exposed form as one of the best players in the competition and is a clear point of difference from any of our other mids given he's explosive and kicks goals. He's also very clearly better than Fyfe (who's almost done anyway) and Johnson.

It is disingenuous to compare the "talent" of McDonald and Warner as if they are equal.

I don’t think Mcdonald is amazing but he’s still a reasonably good player and still young.
What put me off him at the start was the silly trade price being bandied about.
If it was just pick 15 and an F2 I would be much more interested.
People saying he’s no better than Patrick Voss though is just purple nuffie talk though 😂

Do you actually care about the list or just like seeing trades happen for the sake of it?
Of Coarse I care about the list. What do you think bringing in someone like McDonald is gonna upset that? People make it out like he would be such a terrible pick up.

Lets take that Sam Landsberger trade example. Would u rather take Pick 15 and a second rounder than Mcdonald? I know who id rather.

I don’t think Mcdonald is amazing but he’s still a reasonably good player and still young.
People saying he’s no better than Patrick Voss though is just purple nuffie talk though 😂
Exactly!! At the beginning of the year we were looking at 2 high end picks. Now he could be a bargain.

Jackson has not proven he can play anywhere. He's proven he can play ruck and to a lesser extent as a forward. He has no exposed form in any other position.

McDonald has exposed form as an uncontested key forward. He's not showing any traits that make him obviously better than our existing options.

Warner has exposed form as one of the best players in the competition and is a clear point of difference from any of our other mids given he's explosive and kicks goals. He's also very clearly better than Fyfe (who's almost done anyway) and Johnson.

It is disingenuous to compare the "talent" of McDonald and Warner as if they are equal.
He looks tired or off. He's not as dynamic as we have known him to be, but he was pretty busy tagging Mac Andrews last week.

McDonald is a great player, but agree he is no Warner. I think they were close to equal at the start of the year, but not now the season has progressed. I think the attractions of McDonald include is he's a WA boy, his age, and his friendship with players like Sharp (and warner), but can't see Sydney letting both of them go.

Last edited:

I don't think anybody thinks Voss is better, but Voss is clearly a backup. McDonald isn't.

Exactly!! At the beginning of the year we were looking at 2 high end picks. Now he could be a bargain.

It's not a bargain if we don't need him. How would you feel paying a 1st and a 2nd for good KPD right now that's not better than either of AP or Cox?

He looks tired or off. He's not as dynamic as we have known him to be, but he was pretty busy tagging Mac Andrews last week.

McDonald is a great player, but agree he is no warner. I think they were close to equal at the start of the year, but not now the season has progressed. I think the attractions of McDonald include is he's a WA boy, his age, and his friendship with players like Sharp (and warner), but can't see Sydney letting both of them go.

McDonald is not "great" by any measure. He's a talented player doing well given his age in a VERY good team.

I don't think anybody thinks Voss is better, but Voss is clearly a backup. McDonald isn't.

It's not a bargain if we don't need him. How would you feel paying a 1st and a 2nd for good KPD right now that's not better than either of AP or Cox?

McDonald is not "great" by any measure. He's a talented player doing well given his age in a VERY good team.
I think McDonald has more to gain by coming to Freo (coming home and not being at WCE) than we have by gaining him and not CW.

People said the same thing about Treacy at the start of the year. ;)

I agree with Snuffaluphagus about the overrating of Treacy but I think he’s a solid B/C grade key forward and a good team man. Ceiling which is a few years away is probably a Tim Membrey level player. That’s probably being optimistic even.

I think Docker82 and Snuff are gone a bit over the top on McDonald though. he’s just potential so far to me. Hell of a lot of unknowns still.

He ain’t in the Amiss/king brothers/JUH class - don’t kid yourselves. I like him, he’s a nice player. He’s not an AA level superstar though.

I’d have him very very similar to Van Rooyen actually. In fact, JVR could well be a better player in the long run. Would genuinely agonise if I have a choice of either to join our list tomorrow.

Said it before but I see Logan mcdonald tracking on a very similar trajectory to Todd Marshall or Eric Hipwood.
Comfortable 200 game players for sure.

Troubling the All Australian selectors though on any given year? Winning a coleman medal? Nah. Not for me based on what we have seen so far anyway.

I think McDonald has more to gain by coming to Freo (coming home and not being at WCE) than we have by gaining him and not CW.
Possibly, but I can see it getting ugly in the likely event that Amiss, Treacy, McDonald, Jackson and Darcy don't function altogether.
People said the same thing about Treacy at the start of the year. ;)
If he got to Treacy's level, how Dockery would it be to suddenly have too many quality KPFs?

Possibly, but I can see it getting ugly in the likely event that Amiss, Treacy, McDonald, Jackson and Darcy don't function altogether.

If he got to Treacy's level, how Dockery would it be to suddenly have too many quality KPFs?
You mean like how we have 6x KPD's on the list?

I don't think we have ever had a glut of KPFs lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean like how we have 6x KPD's on the list?

Well the 3 young ones clearly aren't AFL standard yet and McDonald was brought in as a backup, but I absolutely think we're going to lose 1 or 2 of the young fellas in 3-4 years when Cox is still around and they all deserve to play.

To be fair, Murphy's face on draft night made me think he's going home next year.

Yeah id be annoyed if we did that because we have Draper, Davies and Murphy coming through.

After Voss we dont really have anyone unless you count Kuek. How are we gonna feel next year “if”McDonald comes out and has a 50-60 goal season and we all didn't want him cause he wasn't a need.

Well the 3 young ones clearly aren't AFL standard yet and McDonald was brought in as a backup, but I absolutely think we're going to lose 1 or 2 of the young fellas in 3-4 years when Cox is still around and they all deserve to play.

To be fair, Murphy's face on draft night made me think he's going home next year.
I guess he gives us someone good to trade, if we have to. What about Reidy?

Yeah id be annoyed if we did that because we have Draper, Davies and Murphy coming through.

After Voss we dont really have anyone unless you count Kuek. How are we gonna feel next year “if”McDonald comes out and has a 50-60 goal season and we all didn't want him cause he wasn't a need.

How did Amiss and Treacy go while McDonald kicks 60? Unless one of them suddenly falls off a cliff I'm not going to GAF to be honest. 2 quality KPFs + resting ruck is fine.

You can't have McDonald level players as "developing" like the KPDs are so its not a valid comparison. And we do have Kuek, Voss and Jones on the list as the parallel anyway. Good chance the latter two never make it so we get new developing players at some point.

I reckon he gets delisted. If he's not playing when a ruck is injured and he's keeping our developing ruck out of the WAFL side, I think he should go. Especially if he is OOC and we need some players to turn over anyway.

How did Amiss and Treacy go while McDonald kicks 60? Unless one of them suddenly falls off a cliff I'm not going to GAF to be honest. 2 quality KPFs + resting ruck is fine.

You can't have McDonald level players as "developing" like the KPDs are so its not a valid comparison. And we do have Kuek, Voss and Jones on the list as the parallel anyway. Good chance the latter two never make it so we get new developing players at some point.

I reckon he gets delisted. If he's not playing when a ruck is injured and he's keeping our developing ruck out of the WAFL side, I think he should go. Especially if he is OOC and we need some players to turn over anyway.
wouldn't he have some trade value?

Yes this. Sometimes we draft rucks and sliders to develop as draft captial. Money in the bank. And for depth, obviously, too.

Yeah I know.

Was more along the lines of you think you have enough, until you don't.

Jackson spoke of wanting to play CHB when we brought him over, there's every chance we could fit them all in. (somehow)

Yeah I know.

Was more along the lines of you think you have enough, until you don't.

Jackson spoke of wanting to play CHB when we brought him over, there's every chance we could fit them all in. (somehow)
We are in a pretty good position. We have draft picks and stocks we can trade. We can use as many draft pics as we want for upgrades, unless we see someone outstanding in the draft. It feels like when I get a heap of Myer vouchers for Christmas :)

Back