Votes: 163 67.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 9 3.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Barass basically saying to wce to come to the party with what they promised

Would hurt more when they've come to the party for Yeo yet still haven't after they promised him a year ago

It would be perfect for the Swans to lure him over, but why would the Swans seek to deal Warner not in the deal for Barrass? Freo would be very, very fortunate to land Chad in that arrangement - and I'd be happy with it.

The more I think about it, the more Richmond should stock up on this draft.

They could set themselves up if they trade Baker and Bolton away, they've already got Taranto and Hopper locked in long term to help steer the young kids, they could have like 6 picks inside the top 20 if they are smart.

Pick the top KPF in the draft, load up on mids/best available for the other picks (in a midfielders draft)

Don't want to post this on the tigers board or the Baker thread as unfortunately they're overrating their list but maybe whoever has come in for Matt Clarkes role can open the eyes of the rest of that team to realise they need a full reset.

If Bolton is willing to go they should definitely entertain it.

The more I think about it, the more Richmond should stock up on this draft.

They could set themselves up if they trade Baker and Bolton away, they've already got Taranto and Hopper locked in long term to help steer the young kids, they could have like 6 picks inside the top 20 if they are smart.

Pick the top KPF in the draft, load up on mids/best available for the other picks (in a midfielders draft)

Don't want to post this on the tigers board or the Baker thread as unfortunately they're overrating their list but maybe whoever has come in for Matt Clarkes role can open the eyes of the rest of that team to realise they need a full reset.

If Bolton is willing to go they should definitely entertain it.

If Ralph is right about Gold Coast being willing to trade in Dan Rioli for two first rounders, Richmond might not be too interested in trading out players like Bolton. An out of contract Baker is a different story though.

Now two first rounders looks crazy for Dan Rioli but Richmond have a tonne of later picks. I’m not convinced the AFL will do enough to the points system that Gold Coast won’t see downgrading two first rounders into two later picks as highly beneficial. I can see two first rounders for Rioli and later picks happening - those later picks just turn into an academy player that goes late first round anyway.

Last edited:

If Ralph is right about Gold Coast being willing to trade in Dan Rioli for two first rounders, Richmond might not be too interested in trading out players like Bolton. An out of contract Baker is a different story though.

Now two first rounders looks crazy for Dan Rioli but Richmond have a tonne of later picks. I’m not convinced the AFL will do enough to the points system that Gold Coast won’t see downgrading two first rounders into two later picks as highly beneficial. I can see two first rounders for Rioli and later picks happening - those later picks just turn into an academy player that goes late first round anyway.
That scenario depends heavily on how the new points system works, if picks after the second round no longer have value, GC need to keep good picks to match a bid on Lombard who looks top 5-10 right now.

Geez he’s had injury after injury how do you expect him to do anything with no continuity. Just look at Treacy in 2022 vs now after getting a good run.

Yes but what has he done today?

If we were list managers there'd be no one left I think sometimes.

That scenario depends heavily on how the new points system works, if picks after the second round no longer have value, GC need to keep good picks to match a bid on Lombard who looks top 5-10 right now.

Richmond still have multiple second rounders. It’ll work, it’s just which picks get involved.

Looks to me that Eagles are a long way down the track with Baker.

I'm not actually sure why we've been linked. He's met with Eagles, and not us.

He would be a strange player for us to give up a 1st rounder for anyway. Freo need forwards (or Warner).
Pretty sure we’d already met with him, and this is west coast coming in later.

Plus, the guy that recruited names now works for the toast, could have just been a catch up to say, “we’d love to have you, will match any terms, but wil only give up a second”

FWIW (not much I assume) Tim Watson said on SEN this morning Baker had zero interest in going to Freo

Twomey says we’re still into MacDonald, either staying w Syd or coming to us

FWIW (not much I assume) Tim Watson said on SEN this morning Baker had zero interest in going to Freo

Twomey says we’re still into MacDonald, either staying w Syd or coming to us
With all the whispers I doubt he had Zero interest. He’s probably just swayed to wce now that they’re more serious about him.

Also I wish McDonald talk would die

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney can't lose McDonald. Amartey might've kicked nine the other week but he isn't good enough to carry the tall timber in forward line virtually by himself. McLean for me is a genuine forward/ruck - you're not getting more than a goal a game very often.

McDonald leaving leaves a significant hole and probably one that needs to be filled by a very expensive trade. From a salary cap perspective that's possibly something Sydney can't afford.

Ralph is a huge Richmond supporter and is just pumping up trade values in the media. Doing the same for Baker, saying WCE will split their first pick (which I think they can only do with us or GC unless it is a convoluted multiple club trade) and need something in the 10-15 range for Baker. WC should only be giving up their 2nd rounder. More than enough for an out of contract pint sized role player.

GC should only be giving up pick 20 to Richmond for Rioli. Pick 20 is technically a "1st rounder" (from North compo package). Lombard is a spanner in the works, but I'm sure they can work that out separately if they need to.

Ralph is a huge Richmond supporter and is just pumping up trade values in the media. Doing the same for Baker, saying WCE will split their first pick (which I think they can only do with us or GC unless it is a convoluted multiple club trade) and need something in the 10-15 range for Baker. WC should only be giving up their 2nd rounder. More than enough for an out of contract pint sized role player.

GC should only be giving up pick 20 to Richmond for Rioli. Pick 20 is technically a "1st rounder" (from North compo package). Lombard is a spanner in the works, but I'm sure they can work that out separately if they need to.
FWIW Gold Coast has three firsts already. One is tied to the Western Bulldogs which could be around 10-15. The other is one of those assistance picks given to North Melbourne and is the last pick in the first round (you could argue it's more like a second but it's been referred to as a first)

I don't really think those two picks for a contracted Rioli and one or two picks between 25 and 45 is that ridiculous tbh - It's overs but not ridiculous.

Of course we’re still interested in McDonald.

Need to keep driving that price up to squeeze someone else out.

Also. He’s quality, you find a way to make it work.
If McDonald wants to come here you definitely just make it work! Sam Lands Berger reckons he is worth about a Pick 15 and a Second. Id definetly be interested if that was the price

If McDonald wants to come here you definitely just make it work! Sam Lands Berger reckons he is worth about a Pick 15 and a Second. Id definetly be interested if that was the price
We need to kill this idea right now. McDonald is such a bland KPF and doesn't make us better. He would upset the JJJ balance forcing Jackson out of the forwardline. What's the point when Voss could probably replicate his form? Macca would also be an expensive trade and take up valuable trade capital we need to secure Warner in 2025. Not to mention valuable cap space we need to pay Warner while re-signing Treacy and Brayshaw. We owe this kid nothing. We offered him an inflated million dollar contract to lure him back home which he turned down. Tough tiddies.

We need to kill this idea right now. McDonald is such a bland KPF and doesn't make us better. He would upset the JJJ balance forcing Jackson out of the forwardline. What's the point when Voss could probably replicate his form? Macca would also be an expensive trade and take up valuable trade capital we need to secure Warner in 2025. Not to mention valuable cap space we need to pay Warner while re-signing Treacy and Brayshaw. We owe this kid nothing. We offered him an inflated million dollar contract to lure him back home which he turned down. Tough tiddies.
See I dont think he is a Bland KPF. I think he is gonna be an absolute gun. But thats just my oppinion.

See I dont think he is a Bland KPF. I think he is gonna be an absolute gun. But thats just my oppinion.
He's certainly not a great contested KPF, not based off any form to date. Must be smart and have a decent tank though as he gets lots of easy goals.

But even if he is going to be gun, the balance of the side is completely broken if he comes in. It might be hard to believe but the last thing Freo needs is a KPF.

McDonald has to be worth more to Sydney than to us in the scheme of a list. Sydney offer must still be significant unders as talk suggests he’d be open to staying. Hopefully they come to their senses and pay up
for him.

Its almost as if they don’t want to pay him market value as they know that will prohibit them even coming to the table to match Chad offers.

FWIW Gold Coast has three firsts already. One is tied to the Western Bulldogs which could be around 10-15. The other is one of those assistance picks given to North Melbourne and is the last pick in the first round (you could argue it's more like a second but it's been referred to as a first)

I don't really think those two picks for a contracted Rioli and one or two picks between 25 and 45 is that ridiculous tbh - It's overs but not ridiculous.

I know what picks they currently have. Indicative order is 7, 8 and 20 and you can only go on the current situation. Give up 8 + 20 for Rioli and some late picks/points back, and they will still have to burn 7 (if it isn't also traded for later picks) on Lombard. So they would basically end up trading 7, 8, 20 for Lombard, Rioli and have some later picks left over. When they could have the far better scenario of Lombard, 8, Rioli and not have those late picks. But it is GC after all.

If you are predicting Bulldogs have 10-15, and/or GC rise up the ladder, then that changes the equation considerably.

I think it's somewhere between the two. Not bland but not absolute gun either. The latter being why the original talk of us paying two or even all three first rounders for him is crazy IMO.
I'd look at him if the price has now truly dropped to a late first and a second, but I doubt it has

He's certainly not a great contested KPF, not based off any form to date. Must be smart and have a decent tank though as he gets lots of easy goals.

But even if he is going to be gun, the balance of the side is completely broken if he comes in. It might be hard to believe but the last thing Freo needs is a KPF.
See I would say the last thing we need is midfielders. Yet we are going after Chad Warner. Bottom line Chad and McDonald are good talents so you just make it work.

Jackson can legit play anywhere so im confident it could work.

Back