List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Just some names of players we could look at around the fringes that we could get cheap (Not FA)

Sam Wicks - 24 mid/fwd
Peter Ladhams - 26 Ruck/Fwd (move on Pittonet)
Caleb Mitchell - 20 quick wing/mid
Connor Stone - 22 Midsize fwd
Max Gruzewski - 20 tall fwd
Cooper Hamilton - 23 hard running win/hb
Riley Garcia - 23 mid
Caleb Daniel - 28 small def
Luke Nankervis - 21 running def
Josh Sinn - quick left footed def/wing
Dylan Williams - 23 mid/fwd

Just some names of players we could look at around the fringes that we could get cheap (Not FA)

Sam Wicks - 24 mid/fwd
Peter Ladhams - 26 Ruck/Fwd (move on Pittonet)
Caleb Mitchell - 20 quick wing/mid
Connor Stone - 22 Midsize fwd
Max Gruzewski - 20 tall fwd
Cooper Hamilton - 23 hard running win/hb
Riley Garcia - 23 mid
Caleb Daniel - 28 small def
Luke Nankervis - 21 running def
Josh Sinn - quick left footed def/wing
Dylan Williams - 23 mid/fwd
Daniel has enormous upside for us

I watched the suns v * game over the weekend and I still canā€™t get over how good this Mac Andrews isā€¦

I canā€™t recall seeing him last season ??

This season he wins games off his boot.

Weā€™ve got to get our vfl side and development program improved.

PICK 5 2021 Draft

4 games 2022
17 last year
18 so far this year in defence until recent weeks.

Has been racking up impressive intercept and rebound numbers and now kicking goals. More about ability than development in this case for a top 5 pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
PICK 5 2021 Draft

4 games 2022
17 last year
18 so far this year in defence until recent weeks.

Has been racking up impressive intercept and rebound numbers and now kicking goals. More about ability than development in this case for a top 5 pick.
Ok šŸ‘

Maybe he had a different hair style last season šŸ¤¦

I think draftees can really help us next year and the next ten. It's a balance between those areas. Many frst year players have stepped up year one and it's the best way to get elite talent. IMO part of the reason our list is unbalanced is we haven't done the draft well over last few years

IMO we don't need to trade first round picks for players if we are smart

Go to the draft with a Pick 8 and maybe Pick 14 (trading future picks) plus Campo kids and another 1 or 2 picks which could be rookies is the way to go. Will add a lot of energy

FA's like Haynes and cheap deals like Garcia Ryan or Stone is then the way to go. Like we did with Acres & Elijah

Is there another Jack Bowes deal around? So many options

As I have said the key then is will names Wilson Moir Ollie Kemp Lord Cowan O'Keefe Motlop Binns step up next year? If some do then IMO this is easily the best strategy. It will also allow us to bank some money for a FA or two next year

I was disappointed we werenā€™t in the frame to put our hat in the ring for the Bowes deal, then the Treloar deal and then Grundy.

All were great business

The part of the equation I donā€™t think helps us is the KPD area, Haynes imo doesnā€™t address anything we donā€™t already have, as I doubt heā€™ll go to a club to play 2s, our interest in him makes me wonder about the future of Kemp/Gov.

If we were to bring in a genuine KPD via trade, who slots straight in, it would balance our defence, Iā€™d happily give up a first with extras to target this area, we could still add lots of youth as you mentioned.

I still see us needing to draft a key defender which takes good draft capital from your plan and I donā€™t see them adding much in their first year.

Itā€™s very frustrating this area has been neglected, last year would have been a great year to target one.

Anyone reckon our LMs have an eye out for a KPD?

Or would they be thinking - Don't be stupid...we have Young and Durdin?

(Edit: We have been in talks with Haynes so I suppose the answer is yes)
We currently donā€™t have a second AFL quality key defender on our list. If we draft 1, they would be minimum 3 years away from holding down a position. Trading for a descent 1 would cost a fair bit based on last year. Look what Port gave up for 2 average ones. Our best chance is trading for a failed key forward and turning him into a defender. Not sure who fits the bill though. Jacob Koschitzke or someone similar maybe.

We currently donā€™t have a second AFL quality key defender on our list. If we draft 1, they would be minimum 3 years away from holding down a position. Trading for a descent 1 would cost a fair bit based on last year. Look what Port gave up for 2 average ones. Our best chance is trading for a failed key forward and turning him into a defender. Not sure who fits the bill though. Jacob Koschitzke or someone similar maybe.
Good ideaā€¦

Not saying I agree with it but do people think itā€™s possible we are in talks with Haynes because we could move Gov/Kemp on?

I see Haynes playing the same role as the other two, so it doesnā€™t make sense to me to target him, unless one was going.

I donā€™t see him going to a club to play 2s.

It would be good business, trade a player for a 2nd rounder and bring in a free replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

something is wrong at melbourne. They should be raiding their players. Trent rivers would compliment our midfield massively if petracca cant be done.

Not saying I agree with it but do people think itā€™s possible we are in talks with Haynes because we could move Gov/Kemp on?

I see Haynes playing the same role as the other two, so it doesnā€™t make sense to me to target him, unless one was going.

I donā€™t see him going to a club to play 2s.

It would be good business, trade a player for a 2nd rounder and bring in a free replacement.
I see all 4 playing together most games. Like they did last season when marchbank actually played

Jay Clark just revealed on Midweek tackle that Nick Haynes will likely be playing with us next year to bolster up our backline.

Last edited:
I like the, what would Geelong do game.

Going off how they have drafted and traded the best part of 10 years, i doubt they are loading up on kids at the draft, i would think they would trading out there first round pick for a player of need, trading in a FA in an area where they will get improvement, then using whatā€™s left at the draft, possibly taking a mature player.

They have seriously gone against the grain for a long period, they trade their top pick regularly, they take mature recruits regularly and they dont drop off.

Even after their premiership when most thought they would drop, they have gone out and traded in players, last year even taking a 25 year old with their second pick.

Geelong's list managing makes a lot of sense. There is always a risk with taking players in the draft. There is always a chance that a young player out of the U18s won't make it at AFL level or they will perform below expectations. Mature players are a known quantity. Skip the years of developing where they can't play AFL. Skip the risk. Trade first round picks and bring in known quantities. It's brought cups to the Cats and a few other sides out there as well.

For whatever reason players want to go to Geelong. Scratch that. For whatever reason Geelong are a team player managers recommend. I think that is a big point. I think you need the managers in your back pocket. Cook will be all over all of this.

There are a few sides who have been very good sides over the last 20 years. Geelong, Collingwood, Sydney and Hawthorn. Pick a time over the last 20 years and most of these teams are in the 8. 2010 they are in the 8. At the moment they are in the 8. Very elite football clubs. Don't miss out for long. They do have their down periods, but they pop back up after a short period. Could add WCE to that list, they are down at the moment but over the last 30 years they have generally been up there.

These clubs seems to have a pretty solid turnover of players. They are really good with players they have drafted, identifying whether they will make it or not and trading and not keeping them too long. They are really good at bringing in mature players. Good players seem to be really gettable for them. Their drafting is also pretty solid.

Going out and hitting the draft and bringing in a whole heap of kids would be a disaster for us. We need balance. Do what these better clubs would do. Get some mature players in to fill the voids in the list. But also bring in youth. With the intention that if they don't really progress they get traded or delisted.

Repetitively and regularly making finals I think is a massive part of becoming a destination club. There's a lot of clubs in Victoria. Teams want to choose a good one. Missing finals this year. Missing finals by bugger all in 2022. It could well and truly cost us players. At least we have remained close. We need some positive spin going into the trade period.

These clubs just seem to be able to get what they want. How can we become a club which goes out and gets what we want? Are we one of them now and will finish the recruiting period with a clutch of mature and first year players?

Sam berry kicked the winning goal against us early this season

inside mid with a bit of grunt/power

Reckon itā€™d be good moveā€¦.type we need imo although WalshistheGOAT might not agree ??
Slow plodding inside ball winner... Don't we already have about 8 of them?

I'd be trying to package up Caleb Daniel and Jack Macrea both All Australian players they both just need a fresh start. I'd happily trade cerra to free up salary

Sam berry kicked the winning goal against us early this season

inside mid with a bit of grunt/power

Reckon itā€™d be good moveā€¦.type we need imo although WalshistheGOAT might not agree ??
I like Sam Berry. Led the AFL tackle count a couple of years ago. If we're open to trading Cerra this would make sense. Money ball pick up at 22 years of age.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back