Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I did take that into account. We have McCabe, DGB, Ryan and Serong in the wings. You could make a case for a Frost replacement but I don't think Battle is the man for that job.
McCabe has done nothing yet (not his fault) DGB, Ryan and Serong are all a long long way from guarantees to be long term best 23 players.

The more we win the happier I'd be wish shipping our first rounder for Smith, or to somehow trade up with someone (unsure who, and unsure how).

I'd rather we keep a top three pick, should we earn it, but I think that ship sailed a few weeks ago.

On a side note - the more I've seen of Jagga Smith the more impressed I've been. Any of the top three midfielders look like they will be guns.

McCabe has done nothing yet (not his fault) DGB, Ryan and Serong are all a long long way from guarantees to be long term best 23 players.
agree on the first 3 but Serong has put together a very solid body of work this year in both Hawks and BH. If he keeps developing at the rate he is, I feel he will be a very serviceable player in 2025 and beyond. I'd love DGB to make it, but Serong is performing at a higher and more consistent level ATM. Not every player needs to have superstar potential.

I reckon he would be starting 22 in at least half the clubs in the comp right now and he may look at opportunities elsewhere if he can't get a game due to others ahead of him.

If McCabe and Ryan develop as we think, Hawks will be blessed with options in years to come.

agree on the first 3 but Serong has put together a very solid body of work this year in both Hawks and BH. If he keeps developing at the rate he is, I feel he will be a very serviceable player in 2025 and beyond. I'd love DGB to make it, but Serong is performing at a higher and more consistent level ATM. Not every player needs to have superstar potential.

I reckon he would be starting 22 in at least half the clubs in the comp right now and he may look at opportunities elsewhere if he can't get a game due to others ahead of him.

If McCabe and Ryan develop as we think, Hawks will be blessed with options in years to come.
I can see Serong looking for a move to Freo at the end of next year if he can't get a consistent spot in our first 22.

DGB could end up on a rookie list at Norf or the Weagles. If Battle comes in DGB would be redundant with Serong and possibly Phillips also on the list.

I can see Serong looking for a move to Freo at the end of next year if he can't get a consistent spot in our first 22.

DGB could end up on a rookie list at Norf or the Weagles. If Battle comes in DGB would be redundant with Serong and possibly Phillips also on the list.
you may well be right #23. With a further 12 months of development, I hope he proves his worth and hawks convince him to stay. alas, I am not so hopeful on DGB :(

I also can't see Phillips being retained if we get Battle and are confident on Blancs recovery and McCabe coming on.

you may well be right #23. With a further 12 months of development, I hope he proves his worth and hawks convince him to stay. alas, I am not so hopeful on DGB :(

I also can't see Phillips being retained if we get Battle and are confident on Blancs recovery and McCabe coming on.

Yeah unfortunately I think that you are right with Phillips which is a pity since he's a nice mark (disposal needs a bit of work but I guess that we don't need another Frostie).

I think he would face the same issues at Freo - they have Pearce, Ryan, Cox, Draper, Chapman and Hughes ahead of him.

DGBs agent on Gettable (obviously biased) did say that Denver is working on certain things they want him to at VFL level but the team do still really rate him and he thinks they do want him around long term

but the point is that if Battle comes in they already have a collection of guys that are keeping him out of the side. Add to that Battle and Blanck, even if Weddle does indeed push further up the ground that doesnt necessarily open up a spot for him either so it will be interesting to see what happens with him

it could be the agent trying to build value in his client in case he needs to look elsewhere or it could be simply that they see him developing still into something

Cant get much closer to saying ‘he wants out’ without saying it. Interesting the mention about him having a kid, sounds likely to be more about money than footy - and that’s perfectly ok.
also been a trend that a lot of players extensions get announced in the clubs bye round. Players go home and see family and discuss options with those closest as well as sitting down with their agents to go over everything. Not every player...Hardwick for example was announced last week but a lot this year have been announced the week of the teams bye or the week after

it would be a pretty good guess if he wasnt re-signed by the time they take the field next week he is wanting out...feel like his agent would of been more committal if talks were further along too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant get much closer to saying ‘he wants out’ without saying it. Interesting the mention about him having a kid, sounds likely to be more about money than footy - and that’s perfectly ok.
Sounds like he's laying the groundwork for the $$$ and the family being the reason why he will possibly leave.

These people say so many words with such little content. In dot points:
1. He's having a fantastic year down back and up forward
2. There is a lot of variables
3. There is a lot of factors
4. He's had a child
5. There's no timeline on that
6. Alex McDonald is working closely with JB
7. It will play out as time goes on.

Side note. Cooper Hodge picked in the Brisbane Lions U16 academy.
Mad Rainn Wilson GIF by T-Mobile

if DGB and Serong had not been drafted and were in the MSD, which one would you pick?

I doubt DGB would even get drafted in the MSD.
Serong definitely would.
Yet when it comes to talk about trades, most would be happy to let go of Serong but still hold onto hopes of DGB making it with us. It's all a bit weird.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back