Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

From my perspective, regardless on how good sport science has progressed there is "significant doubt" ;) as to how he may come back and hence we should pay much less then if he hadn't done it.

I don't mind that at all for us!

However I'm seeing people use it as an excuse to not even attempt to recruit him.

Baz is an animal with training standards. I'm confident he'll hit the ground running for whichever team he ends up playing for next season.

Tony Hall was already one of the best players in the comp and only getting better before his Hawks teammate (oh the horror) brought him down in a State Game and he did his ACL. He was not the same player when he came back.

Yes, injury recovery has greatly improved. But Bailey may not be the player post-ACL that he was pre-ACL.

Your post should say, I believe Bailey Smith was that good of a player, and I think he can get back to that.
What'd mobile phones look like 30 years ago Alite?

How much do you believe his value has dropped?

Off the top of my head I'm considering Sicily, Liberatore, Petracca, Taylor Walker who tore ACL's and returned to dominate the competition.

Probably a bunch more.

The sports science and recovery programs are first class now. It still takes 12 months, but the majority of players return just as good or better than they were before.
Agree with that. It does affect price though because he’d had two down seasons before it and doing one ACL does increase the chances of doing another and missing another 12 months

I like Smith. He’s a good player with high upside who is different to what we have got. If he chooses Hawthorn, we should absolutely get him. But the price needs to be right and the price isn’t what it would have been 3 years ago when he was 3 years younger, had not had 2 down seasons and had not done an ACL. Happy to pay him a heap of money as we have that to burn but the trade capital price needs to be right.

Last edited:

Gruzewski would fill the only hole we have on our list post Gunston.. a strong marking half fwd.
I hope our recruiting staff give him an offer … better than he can get to stay at the Giants
I'm not worried about his wage.

I'm curious as to why/how GWS let him go cheaply.

He was heading home to Victoria though.

My point is that money alone doesn't just drive players to switch clubs anymore. Culture and success counts for far more than it used to.

Hardwick requesting a trade to North Melbourne because of a bit of extra cash would absolutely stun me.
Most players who are rated top 15 at their clubs get paid very well, and are unlikely to spend any time playing lower level footy.

Those in the band 25 - 35 get paid less and are also keen for greater opportunities to play regularly, and become top 15 players at a club.

It is a self fulfilling prophecy explains why most players who move clubs are not top 15 at their departure club.

With those top 15 players who do move it would be for culture and success, not opportunity and money.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frosty is getting on in age …. Retirement will call sooner rather than later, Battle a Perfect replacement. Serong and Phillips are early into their careers.
Frosty is a specimen, that body will play to 110 years old.

My breakfast was eggs, bacon and Milo… and my comment’s intent stands. Bailey Smiths value dropped the moment he went down with an ACL.

If you want more recent examples … I can provide.
Will need to see a menu for the upcoming week thanks

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure either will be on the list next year though, and Battle is an upgrade on both.
I think Serong has something. They would be foolish to let him go. Endurance athlete 194cms if he put more size he would be more than handy and go well with our team defence. Battle coming across doesn't change it given that he can also play forward like dimma.

Desperately need another classy midfielder to go with the heavy work done by Newk and Nash.
Day has it in spades but still worry that Worps isn't clean in close and hasn't got the tools to play as an outside mid. Seems to double grab too often.
Would be open to trading him if it helped us to secure Smith.

Desperately need another classy midfielder to go with the heavy work done by Newk and Nash.
Day has it in spades but still worry that Worps isn't clean in close and hasn't got the tools to play as an outside mid. Seems to double grab too often.
Would be open to trading him if it helped us to secure Smith.

Mackenzie and Ward are supposed to be those classy midfield ball users I suspect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back