List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers fans going hard now thinking they should get good picks for Stringer.
Like they haven’t all been wanting him gone, club included. Well until there was a possibility of a trade and now he is a gun that is contracted, they don’t seem to realise we are meh about it. It’s why the club hasn’t jumped the gun and gone hard. We get him we get him but we aren’t selling out our picks and draft plan to do it. Shiel too. Both would be a nice little cherry but they aren’t no meal.

Wrapt he has re signed.To be honest i thought he was gone and in some ways i would have been more disappointed in him leaving than the others.Hopefully he goes on to have a really good career off half back..Will provide more pace at the very least off half back than Perryman and Cummings
No one can beat the disappointment of losing Peatling this year.

Bombers fans going hard now thinking they should get good picks for Stringer.
Like they haven’t all been wanting him gone, club included. Well until there was a possibility of a trade and now he is a gun that is contracted, they don’t seem to realise we are meh about it. It’s why the club hasn’t jumped the gun and gone hard. We get him we get him but we aren’t selling out our picks and draft plan to do it. Shiel too. Both would be a nice little cherry but they aren’t no meal.
Bombers' fans are split like Giants fans - some in favour and some going ballistic about the reported trade. To me, yes 56 seems a touch low, but understandable if Essendon just want him gone. If we basically come to an agreement to take him, and turn our attention to Shiel, we may end up with a 2 for 1 type offer of our #37 (which as I've said a few times is at risk of being lost in matching a Logan Smith bid).

Bombers' fans are split like Giants fans - some in favour and some going ballistic about the reported trade. To me, yes 56 seems a touch low, but understandable if Essendon just want him gone. If we basically come to an agreement to take him, and turn our attention to Shiel, we may end up with a 2 for 1 type offer of our #37 (which as I've said a few times is at risk of being lost in matching a Logan Smith bid).
The 2 picks in the 50s more than cover Smith I assume ?

Bombers are looking to snare more points for their academy prospect - nothing to do with them valuing or needing Stringer.
Now that Stone is off the table, it could be a package deal with Shiel and they might get some value out of that trade.

No one can beat the disappointment of losing Peatling this year.
I understand that in the sense he is a local kid and academy kid and and i was upset as well.From a playing perspective though i think we can hopefully replace him if we get Shiel who is an upgrade for a few years and draft similar types who will be an upgrade in a few years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stone ✍️ is very handy. Super excited he's staying. I've been high on him since the start and I reckon next year he could breakout. He's done all the hard stuff.

Stringer should get done pretty easily I think. One of those 50s picks. They were basically pushing him out....it's not like Peatling who we were trying hard to keep matching years and $$.

Shiel is the one I'm not too bothered about. With Leake and Rowston coming through I think he's cover.

How Jake Stringer could shape the Giants’ premiership hopes in 2025

Lachlan McKirdy

10 October 2024

News Sport Network

After a seemingly endless exodus of players, the GWS Giants are closing in on landing one of the most intriguing off-contract names in the competition.

Jake Stringer is coming off an impressive 42-goal season at the Bombers but looks to have played his last game for the club. While several teams were lined up as potential landing spots for the experienced forward, it’s the Giants who appear to be most keen on his services.

On paper, it’s a peculiar move for a team that finished in the top four last season. Their attack wasn’t a real issue and they seem to be happy to have a young age profile.

It’s also far from guaranteed that Stringer ends up in the orange and charcoal with the club still assessing whether it’s a move it wants to make. However, as Adam Kingsley looks to guide the side to its maiden premiership, there are some key areas where a move for Stringer would make sense.

ADDING FORM AND EXPERIENCE

When all is said and done, there is probably one spot in the Giants’ forward line up for grabs to start 2025.

Coleman Medallist Jesse Hogan, captain Toby Greene, Aaron Cadman and Brent Daniels have all but locked in four of them. Livewire Darcy Jones will probably secure the other by the time March rolls around.

That leaves the Giants currently looking between Jake Riccardi, Callum Brown or another small in Harvey Thomas or Toby McMullin for that final spot. However, if Stringer does join the club, the spot as the third key target probably becomes his.

Is this the best Giants forward line in 2025?

HF: B. Daniels 🔒, A. Cadman 🔒, D. Jones ❓

F: J. Stringer ❓, J. Hogan 🔒, T. Greene 🔒

Alternatives: J. Riccardi, C. Brown, H. Thomas, C. Stone ❓, T. McMullin, M. Gruzewski, L. Keeffe, P. Gothard, N. Wardius

Only once in his career has he kicked more goals than the 42 goals he kicked in 2024, and at age 30, is immediately in the prime of his career. He would also have the benefit of coming into a system where all the pressure isn’t on him to deliver.

Hogan and Greene combined for 121 goals alone this year. Cadman added another 30 of his own. As long as Stringer can come in and contribute, the burden will be shared and the expectation won’t be on him. There’s also a chance he gets less attention because opposition defences will be too busy trying to deal with Hogan, Cadman and Greene.

The Giants were also one of the best inside 50 marking teams in the competition, thanks mainly to Hogan’s velcro hands. Stringer was rated as elite in his position for this season and would add to that dynamic.

There’s no doubt the 30-year-old would add experience to a team full of young forwards chomping at the bit to prove themselves in the AFL. It would be his 13th season in the competition and he knows a thing or two about delivering in the big moments.

Another aspect would be removing himself from the Melbourne footy bubble. We’ve seen how it has worked wonders for Hogan and it could have the same impact.

And even though the Giants have to start thinking ahead to long-term deals for players like Tom Green, the Giants would be able to get Stringer on a reasonable deal. They also have the salary cap space to be flexible, particularly when they’d likely be able to get him for less than what they would have had to outlay to keep Isaac Cumming, Harry Perryman or even James Peatling who it’s been reported will earn at least $600,000 a year at Adelaide.

CAN STRINGER RIDE THE TSUNAMI?

The Giants have been grappling with the Stringer deal for over a week as they weigh up whether he would suit their system.

A key part of the Orange Tsunami game style is relentless forward pressure. Forwards are expected to work just as hard without the ball as they do with it in their hands. As a result, they finished as the fourth-best team in the AFL for tackles inside 50.

Stringer finished with 28 tackles inside 50 this season. Only Daniels and Cadman had more than him at the Giants. It’s clear that is an element of his game that he has worked on to have a greater impact.

But there’s also a risk that Kingsley simply goes in another direction. At various stages in 2024, he was willing to play ‘the kids’ to add that bit of chaos up forward. Jones, McMullin, Thomas – combined with Daniels, Greene and Toby Bedford – provides a level of dynamism that Stringer doesn’t.

There is also a desire to eventually get the athletic Brown back into the team as he continues his development from Gaelic football to Aussie rules.

The main aspect for Stringer’s is that he has to be content in that second, or even third-fiddle role. He’s reportedly happy to join the Giants so that suggests he will be.

There’s no doubt that this move carries risk for the Giants. It’s not financial given the reported figure of two years at $450,000, but which Stringer arrives at Sydney Olympic Park? Is it one with an attitude of adding to a list that can win a premiership? The work he has put in over the past 12 months suggests he will.

From a culture perspective, it’s also important that Kingsley can see him assimilating to their current environment. This is a team that thrives on spending time together. They are galvanised by their away trips, they spend their off days together and if Stringer wants to be successful at GWS, he will need to buy into that.

Hogan’s success in 2024 becomes the shining light. They took a risk on a key forward and it paid dividends, but they have to be careful not to set that as the benchmark.

However, all things being said, if ‘The Package’ does end up in Sydney with the Giants, it could be the move that finally delivers the consistency that his potential has always suggested was just beneath the surface.

How Jake Stringer could shape the Giants’ premiership hopes in 2025

A key part of the Orange Tsunami game style is relentless forward pressure. Forwards are expected to work just as hard without the ball as they do with it in their hands. As a result, they finished as the fourth-best team in the AFL for tackles inside 50.

Stringer finished with 28 tackles inside 50 this season. Only Daniels and Cadman had more than him at the Giants. It’s clear that is an element of his game that he has worked on to have a greater impact.
Pleasantly surprised to read he has this aspect to his game... cause from his reputation, you'd swear he had no forward defensive pressure, ability or appetite.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back