2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

marlon Neocleous is from down my way. exciting small forward.

kicked a bag in his Debut for traralgon seniors the other week.

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

He has a great name. How short is he? He looks like he'd need a step ladder to make a cup of tea. Has a bit of Nick Watson about him.

Well god damn this kid sounds good
He's the real deal, no surprise Twomey said he's rising up draft boards after getting over his injury. Obviously a bit to work on, but has the attributes to be a gun - contest work, ok kicking, size, strength, x-factor, goal-kicking, overhead marking. Probably similar to Pou, won't be a superstar on debut but after a solid block of work, will really start to assert himself. Would complement our outside speed extremely well, especially if Crouch is done

We have Pou as our tall all-rounder mid, Windy/Garcia/Jagga?/Draper? as the zippy mid - Lalor would fit in perfectly as the contested bull alongside Owens when he's ready. Then Henry as the centre-forward attacking mid and hopefully Dow/Clark can be solid contributors as well

Remember listening to an U18 final on the radio in 2008, and just from the commentary wanting Sidebottom, and knowing he wouldn't get to us. He was huge in the game.

Cant believe he slid all the way to Collingwood while others picked Stephen Hill, Jack Watts, Ty Vickery, Jack Ziebell, Hamish Hartlett, Chris Yarran....If he'd slid just two more spots.....hell we'd probably have picked Lynch anyway and Sydney would have got him.
Rockliff was very good in that game as well and had been a stand out all year and was overlooked by everyone in the main draft. I think there was some knock on his ankles being shot but I couldn’t believe teams just passed on him.

He's the real deal, no surprise Twomey said he's rising up draft boards after getting over his injury. Obviously a bit to work on, but has the attributes to be a gun - contest work, ok kicking, size, strength, x-factor, goal-kicking, overhead marking. Probably similar to Pou, won't be a superstar on debut but after a solid block of work, will really start to assert himself. Would complement our outside speed extremely well, especially if Crouch is done

We have Pou as our tall all-rounder mid, Windy/Garcia/Jagga?/Draper? as the zippy mid - Lalor would fit in perfectly as the contested bull alongside Owens when he's ready. Then Henry as the centre-forward attacking mid and hopefully Dow/Clark can be solid contributors as well
Would be a very solid haul that could change us in one draft if we can get two of those players mentioned. Lalor and smith/draper would compliment what we’ve got in Pou and windy perfectly.

I read that and got excited but really can't see the Dusty in him. I think because he's a big powerful unit and can kick a goal they've compared him. His disposal is a worry for me. He doesn't have the obvious X factor Dusty does. I know kids aren't the finished article but if he doesn't end up being X factor he could be a bit Luke Dunstan.
I think you're overstating the disposal thing. He's no worse than average.

I think you're overstating the disposal thing. He's no worse than average.

His kicks put the player ahead under pressure a lot. Compared to guys like Reid who puts them out in front for the player ahead he looked noticeably messy. It’s not an absolute strike off the list for me but I find poor kicking doesn’t tend to improve at higher levels. It marks him down to me. If he doesn’t end up having X factor at AFL level he ends up a Dunstan.

His kicks put the player ahead under pressure a lot. Compared to guys like Reid who puts them out in front for the player ahead he looked noticeably messy. It’s not an absolute strike off the list for me but I find poor kicking doesn’t tend to improve at higher levels. It marks him down to me. If he doesn’t end up having X factor at AFL level he ends up a Dunstan.
You sound exactly like Billings vs Bont argument

Lalor has all the tools to become a genuine top 10 player of the comp, but you obsess over his lack of elite kicking even tho it really isnt a big problem - just like people obsessed over Bont's potential lack of ability to contest as an inside mid at AFL level. Instead you opt for the known product in Reid who doesn't have as much upside as a Lalor - just like Billings was a 'safe' bet to succeed over Bont yet look what happened

If you have a player that's being compared by experts to the best player of the past decade, you take him with no hesitation especially when that player has the exact skillsets the team needs. What attribute does Murphy Reid have that would make him stand out as a top player at AFL level? He's another slow mid-sized midfielder with 'classy' skills against 18 year olds that when put under pressure at the top level, if this crumbles, he's finished as a player. Even if he does succeed, do we need another midfielder of his type? Windhager, Clark, Dow all similar to him. Would be a waste of a top 10 pick. Teens pick, maybe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's literally 16 years old, could easily have a growth spurt to 6ft. Way too early to judge
Nah I doubt it. His older brother Harvey plays for Casey and he's 22 or something and is still only 171 cm.

Played in the same game and kicked 7 so 12 goals between the two of them.

You sound exactly like Billings vs Bont argument

Lalor has all the tools to become a genuine top 10 player of the comp, but you obsess over his lack of elite kicking even tho it really isnt a big problem - just like people obsessed over Bont's potential lack of ability to contest as an inside mid at AFL level. Instead you opt for the known product in Reid who doesn't have as much upside as a Lalor - just like Billings was a 'safe' bet to succeed over Bont yet look what happened

If you have a player that's being compared by experts to the best player of the past decade, you take him with no hesitation especially when that player has the exact skillsets the team needs. What attribute does Murphy Reid have that would make him stand out as a top player at AFL level? He's another slow mid-sized midfielder with 'classy' skills against 18 year olds that when put under pressure at the top level, if this crumbles, he's finished as a player. Even if he does succeed, do we need another midfielder of his type? Windhager, Clark, Dow all similar to him. Would be a waste of a top 10 pick. Teens pick, maybe

I'm just saying what I see. You could also say he looks like Luke Dunstan. Nothing Lalor has done lately has made me think he looks elite. I didn't rate Walsh as a pick one either and thought guys like Cerra looked vanilla. It's just an observation. He's not who I'd pick with a top 6 pick.

I think if Lalor ends up a star it will be in a Dangerfield way. He has a lot of size and power and motors away in the centre but the Dusty stuff I don't see at all. Dusty always looked a lot more X factor and had a POD. Danger is more blunt force instrument.

Plenty of people get players wrong and all kids get a comparison. They rarely end up anything like their comparison.

We 100% need his type. When I read about him I thought that that's exactly what we need. Watched his videos and went off him. There are quite a few bull mids later in the draft too.

You hate Murphy Reid and Langford. I don't know why you're getting pissy about my opinions.

Last time Dalyrmpal had picks like this ,

McCrae and Stringer in what was overall a terrible draft.

At Sydney in 2019 they had a rare down year and he had pick 5 that he blew on Dylan Stephens, 26 on Will Gould, 36 on Elijah Taylor, 39 he took Warner who ended up making up for the others but that Stephens pick was an absolute stuff up.

Apart from McAsey he was the only other spud in the first round. The Will Gould pick he had Comben, Jeremy Sharp, Trent Rivers all available. Kidean Coleman went the pick after Elijah Taylor.

He has runs on the board but Toce outperformed him in the last couple of drafts IMO. We need him to be absolutely top of his game this year.

At Sydney in 2019 they had a rare down year and he had pick 5 that he blew on Dylan Stephens, 26 on Will Gould, 36 on Elijah Taylor, 39 he took Warner who ended up making up for the others but that Stephens pick was an absolute stuff up.

Apart from McAsey he was the only other spud in the first round. The Will Gould pick he had Comben, Jeremy Sharp, Trent Rivers all available. Kidean Coleman went the pick after Elijah Taylor.

He has runs on the board but Toce outperformed him in the last couple of drafts IMO. We need him to be absolutely top of his game this year.

I read somewhere that it was Wayne Hughs who drew Garcia to the clubs attention.
In my mind ( because i've never worked in clubland ) , i'd doubt that the List Manager reads a list of emails sent to him by the scouts and chooses which one to get.
Especially around melbourne i'm sure it would be a case of , " hey Chris, come out to this game on the weekend and see what you think of this Garcia kid "
In fact if your scouts knew their crap you could bluff your way through it all ( Libra ?).

I actually sat down one day and untangled what all the recruiting roles at the Saints were. ( might be some i missed in 2016 /17 or so )

2016 Trout, Recruiting and list manager. Libratore: Recruiting analyst. Mark Smart : Recruiting adviser SA. Wayne Hughes :pro Scout. Chris Toce : Recruiting Advisor NSW. TAS . NT.QLD : Recruits. Wayne was the man for the Jack Steele trade. Recruits: Vic: Long , Battle, Ed Phillips , Marshall.

2017: No Changes. Recruits: Clark Coffield Clavarino Paton Langlands Pierce

2018: Toce : Recruiting Advisor /Magager S.A. W.A , Stephan Lennie: Pro-Scout manager, Simon Guest :Recruiting Manager NSW QLD TAS etc.
Recruits : WA:parker, SA:Young , Wilkie , VIC : King, Bytel , Hind.

2019: Gallagher : Head of list management. Libratore: National recruiting manager. Mark Smart had gone to Hawks.
Recruits: VIC: Byrnes , Connolly , Bell

2020: Toce: Recruiting Managager S.A. and Vic , Simon Guest might have got W.A.
Recruits : SA: Highmore , Vic : Allison

2021 : No changes.
Recruits. SA: Sharman, Naz, Adams, Hayes. Vic: Heath, Peris, Kyle ( Windhager , Owens ).

2022: Toce: Head of Recruiting. (Recruiting manager Libra left ) Guest probably got SA duties then.
SA: Phillipou, Keeer. Vic: Van Es, Hotton, McLennan, Caminiti.

2023: SOS. Tas: Ari, W.A.: Collard, Vic: Wilson , Hastie, Garcia,

I think Wayne Hughes has also left after Toce did.

I'm just saying what I see. You could also say he looks like Luke Dunstan. Nothing Lalor has done lately has made me think he looks elite. I didn't rate Walsh as a pick one either and thought guys like Cerra looked vanilla. It's just an observation. He's not who I'd pick with a top 6 pick.

I think if Lalor ends up a star it will be in a Dangerfield way. He has a lot of size and power and motors away in the centre but the Dusty stuff I don't see at all. Dusty always looked a lot more X factor and had a POD. Danger is more blunt force instrument.

Plenty of people get players wrong and all kids get a comparison. They rarely end up anything like their comparison.

We 100% need his type. When I read about him I thought that that's exactly what we need. Watched his videos and went off him. There are quite a few bull mids later in the draft too.

You hate Murphy Reid and Langford. I don't know why you're getting pissy about my opinions.
I'm not getting pissy lol, I just think you're nit-picking at Lalor's deficiencies whilst ignoring Reid's and Langford's

I'm not getting pissy lol, I just think you're nit-picking at Lalor's deficiencies whilst ignoring Reid's and Langford's
I don’t think a player that kicks like dunstan will ever get drafted again

It’s an opinion, if you aren’t Labor or his family I don’t see why you’d take it personally. You sound a bit unhinged.

It’s an opinion, if you aren’t Labor or his family I don’t see why you’d take it personally. You sound a bit unhinged.
Nothing personal. I'm just engaging in discussion and you're getting offended and defensive

I just think if you're going to be so critical of Lalor, you need to criticise your boys Reid and Langford the same way. Its unfair not only for them but other supporters on here who aren't as informed about the draft when you create biased and misleading evaluations of players

Nothing personal. I'm just engaging in discussion and you're getting offended and defensive

I just think if you're going to be so critical of Lalor, you need to criticise your boys Reid and Langford the same way. Its unfair not only for them but other supporters on here who aren't as informed about the draft when you create biased and misleading evaluations of players

Happy for you to criticise them as much as I am. I take it on board and glad to read what other people think. Hopefully a forum is a pool of different ideas.

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back