Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got an update.
Same thing as Hotton.

He confirmed that he did his ACL :( Poor kid. Was never gonna be a top prospect so he was fighting to get drafted, and so its not ideal for him.
But he seems optimistic, will rehab it and come back better next year.
If he could clean up his disposal he would be a genuine draft prospect. Hopefully he can get back next year but heard he made a mess of his knee.

If he could clean up his disposal he would be a genuine draft prospect. Hopefully he can get back next year but heard he made a mess of his knee.
Hopefully the club has seen enough and still drafts him, even a rookie. Has some afl attributes and at that size, they dont come around easy.

He at least can use the club for his rehab and focus on finishing school, and whatever happens, happens. But would be a real blow for him.

Final teams in for the annual SA U18's vs the SA U20's game today at 11.00AM ACST at Thebarton Oval

Used as a lead up to the Nationals which kick off next week with the Allies vs SA at Thebarton Oval.

Stream on Kommunity TV if you're a Newscorp subscriber.

U18U20
2 Lucas Camporeale
3 Benjamin Camporeale
4 Ned Bowman
5 Evan Bradley
6 Benny Barrett
7 Sid Draper
8 Kade Herbert
11 Phoenix Hargrave
14 Samuel Cumming
15 Matthew LeRay
16 Angus Clarke
17 Jacob Newton
19 Harley Barker
22 Jett Hasting
23 Harry Dodd
24 Dyson Sharp
25 Charlie Nicholls
26 Harrison Ramm
28 Tate Delmenico
30 Tallan Rosenzweig
31 Thomas McKay
34 Jacob Sheean
37 Ryan Borlace
40 Alexander Dodson
41 Charlie West
42 Tyler Welsh
1 Archie Lovelock
3 Adam D'Aloia
4 Alex Holt
5 Will Patton (vc)
6 Callum Fairall
7 Henry Maerschel
8 Jed Dignan
9 Kobe Ryan
11 Luca Slade
12 Oscar Kregar
13 Beau Thomas
14 Benjamin Ridgway
15 Darcy Minchella
16 Harry Francis
17 Hughen Wissman
18 Jayden Matz
19 Oscar Talbot
20 Noah McDonald
21 Nicholas Schroder
22 Nick Sadler (c)
23 Tom Wheaton
24 Brody Mair
26 Alex van Wyk

1/2 Time

U18's 4.4 28
U20's 4.6 30

U20's cleaner ball use

To my eye Ben Camporeale the best for the U18's Kobe Ryan for the U20's, Lucas Camporeale not too shabby either, Sid Draper better than last week but far from as dominant as usual.

1/2 Time

U18's 4.4 28
U20's 4.6 30

U20's cleaner ball use

To my eye Ben Camporeale the best for the U18's Kobe Ryan for the U20's, Lucas Camporeale not too shabby either, Sid Draper better than last week but far from as dominant as usual.
Are you at the ground?

3/4 time
U18's 11.4
U20's 6.8

Ben Camporeale head and shoulders above everyone else out there today.

SA going to be hard to beat at the Nationals if their mids are competitive with a forward line of the 3 tall towers Tallan Rosenzweig, Charlie Nicholls and Charlie West along with the 191cm big bodied 3rd tall type Tyler Welsh and no doubt speedy, clever small forward/mid Benny Barrett at their feet.

Full time
U18's 15.4
U20's 9.13

To my eye Ben Camporeale the best on, Charlie Nicholls the best forward. Draper much better today.
From a MSD view 194cm forward Beau Thomas impressive, strong overhead and if he'd brought his kicking boots could have easily kicked 5 or 6 goals, Kobe Ryan a typical in and under midfield game and for mine his kicking has certainly improved the last 2 years.

How was Ben Campo's 'damage' with disposal for those who watched? Love his ability to provide a link but still unsure about his impact via foot.

How was Ben Campo's 'damage' with disposal for those who watched? Love his ability to provide a link but still unsure about his impact via foot.
He's a ripper, not too much wrong with his contested stuff either so expect an early bid incoming and btw Lucas is not too shabby either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a ripper, not too much wrong with his contested stuff either so expect an early bid incoming and btw Lucas is not too shabby either
Yeah I've liked what I've seen of Ben so far. Lucas imo more 'talented' but far more inconsistent. Especially with his disposal by foot, he can look a million bucks and then look a hack the next chance he gets. Ben just seems to play within his means and makes good decisions without ever looking to be that game breaking type with ball in hand.

We'll be fighting North for the pick but Smilie for pick 1 just screams massive red flags for me. I'm really suss on his kicking at the top level and I feel he dominates because of his size but that gets mitigated a lot at AFL level where you need a lot more strings to your bow.

I feel like he'll be a good player but not sure he will translate to an AFL superstar.

I'd happily split pick 1 if we had it and some strong offers came, I reckon this is the draft to have a handful of top 20 picks rather than just one elite pick, especially if taking Smilie.

We'll be fighting North for the pick but Smilie for pick 1 just screams massive red flags for me. I'm really suss on his kicking at the top level and I feel he dominates because of his size but that gets mitigated a lot at AFL level where you need a lot more strings to your bow.

I feel like he'll be a good player but not sure he will translate to an AFL superstar.

I'd happily split pick 1 if we had it and some strong offers came, I reckon this is the draft to have a handful of top 20 picks rather than just one elite pick, especially if taking Smilie.
Reid’s and JHF size and power translated well to AFL.

I think his kicking will be fine, especially when he is in space. Generally makes good decisions.

Biggest red flags for me would be:
1. his lack of tackles and
2. for a big body inside mid he seems to play as that first receiver a lot rather than the first ball winner.

I’d be really interested to see his contested ball winning stats. I think they’d be less than some people expect.

SCOREBOARD​

SA U18 2.1 4.4 11.4 15.4 (94)
SA U20 2.3 4.6 6.8 9.13 (67)
BEST – SA U18: Charlie Nicholls, Ben Camporeale, Dyson Sharp, Jacob Newton, Ned Bowman, Angus Clarke

SA U20: Kobe Ryan, Nick Sadler, Beau Thomas, Hughen Wissman, Alex Holt, Ben Ridgway
GOALS – SA U18: Charlie Nicholls 3, Ned Bowman, Jacob Newton, Ryan Borlace, Charlie West 2, Evan Bradley, Sid Draper, Tallan Rosenzweig, Tyler Welsh
SA U20: Beau Thomas 3, Archie Lovelock 2, Callum Fairall, Hughen Wissman, Jayden Matz, Nick Sadler
SA U18 MVP – Charlie Nicholls (Central District)
SA U20 MVP – Kobe Ryan (West Adelaide)

At Thebarton Oval

3/4 time
U18's 11.4
U20's 6.8

Ben Camporeale head and shoulders above everyone else out there today.

SA going to be hard to beat at the Nationals if their mids are competitive with a forward line of the 3 tall towers Tallan Rosenzweig, Charlie Nicholls and Charlie West along with the 191cm big bodied 3rd tall type Tyler Welsh and no doubt speedy, clever small forward/mid Benny Barrett at their feet.
What are your thoughts on Barrett? I really feel we need a genuine small forward who can put on defensive pressure while also being dangerous around goals. Rather than shoehorning small mids into this role.

What are your thoughts on Barrett? I really feel we need a genuine small forward who can put on defensive pressure while also being dangerous around goals. Rather than shoehorning small mids into this role.
Barrett would be a small forward at AFL level most likely but he plays a fair bit of on ball as well and at U18 level he's quite effective in there. He's also a Port NGA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back