Coll/Haw - halfway through the middle section of top deck

Other notable games where the AFL Members went on sale this week:

Geel/Ess - halfway through the front section of top deck
Carl/Rich - halfway through the front section of top deck
Coll/Ess - down to last 50 seats, some standing room gone as well
Coll/Geel - selling back section of top deck
Melb/Ess - haven't sold out the lower deck yet, barely started on top deck
Coll/Haw - halfway through the middle section of top deck
Melbourne v Essendon just does not have the luck ey? We can never get both clubs playing well at the same time. This has been happening for years. Not sure when the last time these two have been contending, probably since the early 2000s ?

Melbourne v Essendon just does not have the luck ey? We can never get both clubs playing well at the same time. This has been happening for years. Not sure when the last time these two have been contending, probably since the early 2000s ?
That Melbourne / Essendon game demonstrates how things quickly change. Its looming as a bust isn’t it!

Same as Essendon / Geelong. These clubs haven’t played a meaningful high stakes encounter since that Friday night game at Marvel way back in 2013 that drew 53,014 people (1st Vs 2nd). That was your likely monster crowd there. Few and far between with Essendon’s Barron 20 years.

Last edited:
There's only single seats left for the Swans v Coll match in Round 22 after going on sale to the public only yesterday.

Swans crowds this season will end up an outstanding figure. They are averaging just under 40k for home crowds and only need to average 30k from their remaining 5 games to break their record total.

There's only single seats left for the Swans v Coll match in Round 22 after going on sale to the public only yesterday.

Swans crowds this season will end up an outstanding figure. They are averaging just under 40k for home crowds and only need to average 30k from their remaining 5 games to break their record total.

Swans also hit 70k members which shocked me. My mate who is an scg member stopped going this year because he went 3x last year to swans games, 2 he had to head home coz couldn't get a seat, 1 he was up the top in the back row.

Every chance both teams are in free fall by then if you lose to geelong and collingwood before you get to us. And we, well we are just straight garbage.

Interesting that GA areas for tonight have 1.5 bays in the MCC level 4 and then the three reserved bays in the AFL.
Both AFL and MCC will likely be empty on level f4 for the last 10 rows.
Looks like a low 70s sort of crowd which by no means is disappointing but it does show that sometimes having Collingwood/Carlton/Richmond as the away team in big MCG games is actually helpful.

Interesting that GA areas for tonight have 1.5 bays in the MCC level 4 and then the three reserved bays in the AFL.
Both AFL and MCC will likely be empty on level f4 for the last 10 rows.
Looks like a low 70s sort of crowd which by no means is disappointing but it does show that sometimes having Collingwood/Carlton/Richmond as the away team in big MCG games is actually helpful.
A couple of things. Geelong have lost 5/6 games. Also, Geelong fans usually don’t come to Melbourne for night games if their team is off their tucker, it’s a totally different scenario to a Saturday arvo slot.

A couple of things. Geelong have lost 5/6 games. Also, Geelong fans usually don’t come to Melbourne for night games if their team is off their tucker, it’s a totally different scenario to a Saturday arvo slot.
Yep, it's a big ask for a lot of Geelong fans to head up the highway on a cold Friday night when their form line isn't too good. Not expecting a huge showing from them tonight and fair enough. A crowd of about 70k hopefully would still be very good.

In other news- looks like a rainy forecast for Sydney tomorrow. Tickets for Sydney derby are down to only standing room so hopefully the rain doesn't dissuade too many from showing up.

Outside of Collingwood/Carlton Collingwood/Essendon what’s the record for best average crowd for return fixtures in one year?

Can’t think of too many match ups that hahe pulled 87K and probably 78K in recent memory?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outside of Collingwood/Carlton Collingwood/Essendon what’s the record for best average crowd for return fixtures in one year?

Can’t think of too many match ups that hahe pulled 87K and probably 78K in recent memory?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In 2010 season

Coll v Geel 88115
Geel v Coll 84401

But there could be bigger than that pairing.

Last edited:

In 2010 season

Coll v Geel 88115
Geel v Coll 84401

But there could be bigger than that pairing.

You're right that Coll/Geel in 2010 is the biggest excluding Coll/Carl and Coll/Ess and is the 4th biggest overall.

Carlton/Geelong this year (162,993) is the 16th biggest overall.

Full list of those to get 160k in one season:

1718976309780.png

Coll/Ess and Coll/Carl from this year will be sure to feature in here somewhere.

Was hoping to push a bit closer to 80k, but 75k ain't a bad.

Most of Geelong's 80k+ games have been when they have been the benchmark of the competition.

It’s the second biggest H&A crowd ever between the two (behind the game earlier this year).

Speaks volumes about how well the Blues are going that we can be calling that kind of result “not bad” and it’s a totally fair assessment. They’ve got big expectations on them now, and I think we’ll see a couple more records fall before the year is out.

Good time to be a Carlton fan.

It’s the second biggest H&A crowd ever between the two (behind the game earlier this year).

Speaks volumes about how well the Blues are going that we can be calling that kind of result “not bad” and it’s a totally fair assessment. They’ve got big expectations on them now, and I think we’ll see a couple more records fall before the year is out.

Good time to be a Carlton fan.
Unfortunately the rest of our fixture isn’t very conducive to setting some great records.
3 away games in a row now, which we will
no doubt bring plenty to.
But in terms of home games, only 1 MCG match left vs Hawthorn which should be big. The other three games are all at Marvel so will max out at about 45k each.

Unfortunately the rest of our fixture isn’t very conducive to setting some great records.
But in terms of home games, only 1 MCG match left vs Hawthorn which should be big. The other three games are all at Marvel so will max out at about 45k each.
The thing about Carlton is that since they have been tenants of Docklands stadium they have been an ordinary to less than ordinary side. Now they seem to be a top side - and we can reasonably expect them to be a top side for a good few more years - they will attract crowds that are too big for Docklands.

Will be interesting to see how much that Hawks game draws. Same game, in same slot has drawn 66,300 the last two seasons - with both in the bottom 4.

The largest ever Blues v Hawks attendance is 69,018, if last night drew 75,000 that game should bring 80,000 plus with decent weather. Its a Hawthorn members replacement game after all…

Last edited:
The thing about Carlton is that since they have been tenants of Docklands stadium they have been an ordinary to less than ordinary side. Now they seem to be a top side - and we can reasonably expect them to be a top side for a good few more years - they will attract crowds that are too big for Docklands.

A big club emerging from 30 years of wilderness has the potential to draw absolutely enormous crowds.

Reminds me a lot of Richmond in the mid-2010’s. Back then the Tigers supporters dwarfed Carlton at the 2013 EF, if the roles were reversed in 2024, I’m sure the Blues would now heavily outnumber Richmond

Reminds me a lot of Richmond in the mid-2010’s. Back then the Tigers supporters dwarfed Carlton at the 2013 EF, if the roles were reversed in 2024, I’m sure the Blues would now heavily outnumber Richmond

I highly doubt it mate. In saying that, I guess it would be a lot closer than the 2013 EF. I think even from 17th we showed what we can bring to events like Dustys 300th 92K+ and it wouldn't be any different if we were in the finals now we'd still turn up in droves as the blues would. I guess ill have to look from afar watching the pies, blues and bombers perhaps meeting in finals and thrashing it out.

Last edited:
I highly doubt it mate. In saying that, I guess it would be a lot closer than the 2013 EF. I think even from 17th we showed what we can bring to events like Dustys 300th 92K+ and it wouldn't be any different if we were in the finals now we'd still turn up in droves as the blues would. I guess ill have to look from afar watching the pies, blues and bombers perhaps meeting in finals and thrashing it out.
If we do make finals.. it would nice if your mob were contending for finals too! Absolutely amazing if the Big 4 made finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back